Brewer Fanatic

Brent Suter

NievesNoNO

What do others make of Suter? I've said before that he's not a MLB arm. He's since proven me wrong, in a small sample. Do people think he's capable of making a career of pitching with a mid-80's fastball and working quickly? Can he be Jamie Moyer-ish? I mean, I just can't think of many comparable guys off the top of my head who have had any kind of extended success. It's kind of back-end rotation or bust for him, imo, as I don't really think his stuff has a chance to "play up" out of the bullpen.

I'm obviously happy he's pitching well; just not sure it's sustainable. Maybe being a guy that throws 85 instead of 89 is enough of a difference to be unique in a way that increases his chances of success.

I'm not entirely certain he's a rotation guy long-term, I could see him being the long-arm out of the bullpen and spot starter in future years. His cadence is what keeps people off balance. Once they get comfortable with his quick pace they'll pounce.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Seems to me there is a place for him. I think he is too valuable to relegate to pitching once a week for 3 innings when the starter gets blown up.

It would seem logical that the hitters get used to him the third time through, but I would really like to make sure that is the case with a larger sample size. I assume he will be starting at least until Anderson is back, so that is a start.

On the extreme optimistic end I think Tom Glavine worked mid-80s for a good portion of his career. Of course, Suter won't have the advantage of being able to get a call, "painting" 6-8 inches off the corner.

Glavine also pitched when mid-80's was only just below average. Mid-80's today is 10 MPH below average. Guys just don't see fastballs at that speed anymore and it takes an AB or two to adjust.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Until Suter proves he can't be effective, I'm all for just running the guy out there every fifth day. He wouldn't be the first soft-tossing lefty to find success (although the highway is littered with loads of these guys who failed).

My gut says that the league will catch up to him - it's just hard to survive throwing an 86 mph fastball on a regular basis. There's just not much room for error.

But hey, like I said, who knows. I'd just keep giving him the ball as long as he's effective. Suter is a smart guy (went to Harvard), and he's not a kid. Perhaps he's just more advanced in his ability to sequence pitches, keep hitters off balance and more of the nuances of pitching.

Comparing him to Jamie Moyer, maybe that's what he pitches like. Multiple poor games, with great ones mixed in there. Then again, in this swing and miss era, maybe there's less of those poor games

I don't think that's giving Jamie Moyer his due. Although Moyer wasn't very good until early 30s, then outstanding for over a decade

Doubtful Brent Suter ever gets a real long term chance to start here. It would take a major injury and he would need to get the nod. I mean what are we going to do? Send Woodruff and Burnes to the bullpen? Guy has everything working against him. He would have a better chance to start on a terrible team with little high shelf pitching in the minors. I just don't see a fit on our team/roster. He deserves a chance to prove himself, but I doubt he gets it in his time here.

I don't care how great any prospect looks, the Brewers would have to be completely nuts to move Suter out of the rotation with the way he's been pitching. 3.04 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 3.67 K/BB ratio. About the only thing that is questionable is his HR/FB% which is 8.2 and well below league average, but the xFIP should correct for some of that and his xFIP is still a very respectable 3.96.

I have long-term doubts about Suter but the years have taught me that results are the bottom line and aren't to be argued with.

I know we all like a good story and we all root for the "little" guy. However, despite the success in limited innings, there is little reason to believe he is going to make it. Sure, let him start as long as he isn't blocking anyone, but I doubt he lasts on a pitching staff in any role.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I know we all like a good story and we all root for the "little" guy. However, despite the success in limited innings, there is little reason to believe he is going to make it. Sure, let him start as long as he isn't blocking anyone, but I doubt he lasts on a pitching staff in any role.

Exactly. No offense to Suter, but the rest of the staff has been pitching really really well. Anderson is about to be back which means bye to Suter. He gets the short end of the stick and he doesn't really get a choice.

Suter should definitely go to the bullpen though. Has been great the first time through the order. Second and third time? Worse and then terrible. His stats scream bullpen. Let's not get blinded by a small sample and do the smart thing.

Until Suter proves he can't be effective, I'm all for just running the guy out there every fifth day. He wouldn't be the first soft-tossing lefty to find success (although the highway is littered with loads of these guys who failed).

My gut says that the league will catch up to him - it's just hard to survive throwing an 86 mph fastball on a regular basis. There's just not much room for error.

But hey, like I said, who knows. I'd just keep giving him the ball as long as he's effective. Suter is a smart guy (went to Harvard), and he's not a kid. Perhaps he's just more advanced in his ability to sequence pitches, keep hitters off balance and more of the nuances of pitching.

Exactly, he's in the rotation until he proves otherwise. Has options left so pretty good guy to have around the next couple years.

I take my comment back. I was thinking we had more starters than we do. When Anderson comes back we are really are replacing Woodruff. If that's the case and Suter continues to be dominant I probably go with him until he proves otherwise. Though things could get tough if Woodruff puts together some nice starts.

1.Nelson

2.Anderson

3.Davies

4.Garza

5.Suter/Woodruff

That Garza injury, Guerra finally getting sent down, and Woodruff/Blazek spot starts has got me really confused these days.

It is easy to just dismiss him because of the velocity but it is also poor analysis. He induces a ton of pop outs which are as good as Ks. He has pretty elite control with only a 5.8% walk which is in line with his minor stats. He throws a lot of first pitch strikes which is an awesome skill to have, induces a lot of ground balls which is great. The single best skill a pitcher can display is pitching ahead in the count and he does that regularly. There are all kinds of signs that a large part of this is for real. It probably isn't all for real but enough probably is to make him a valuable player.

It is easy to just dismiss him because of the velocity but it is also poor analysis. He induces a ton of pop outs which are as good as Ks. He has pretty elite control with only a 5.8% walk which is in line with his minor stats. He throws a lot of first pitch strikes which is an awesome skill to have, induces a lot of ground balls which is great. The single best skill a pitcher can display is pitching ahead in the count and he does that regularly. There are all kinds of signs that a large part of this is for real. It probably isn't all for real but enough probably is to make him a valuable player.

And the control goes well beyond walk rate. He's been living on all 4 edges. Up down in out, with pitch movement and his tempo. Add that to lefty and he's a very odd duck. When judge just stays in the box... when batters are actively thinking about stepping out to slow him down. He bothers them. It's all very different.

That being said... his pitches were not as pristinely located vs STL. He was a bit fat more than he had been in the first starts. Jeffress did him no favors as well. Despite that 5... 2.5 era since stepping in for Woodruff. That's hard to ignore.

Woodruff Garza Suter will likely decide this by the time Anderson gets back... but if Woodruff builds off this start... and looks like inning 3-6.1 more than 1-2... it's going to be a hard choice.

With Suter it comes down to one thing in my opinion. Can he hit edges like he did prior to STL or is STL the actual norm. I also wonder if he's using batter analytics and targeting their bad average regions for his out pitches. Wouldn't surprise me if Havard wanted all the analytics on his side he could possibly use. Haven't noticed this... or it hasn't jumped out at me. Just crossed my mind.

I'd say the closest comp to him right now is Kyle Hendricks who is making it work this year even with his lowered velocity. It is a pretty thin line to walk though, I agree with you there. I wouldn't be looking to acquire Suter if he were on another team but these types of pitchers can have multi season runs of being good pitchers.

Archived