Brewer Fanatic

2017-08-03: Cardinals (Wacha) at Brewers (Garza) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-1]

hawing
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now the Crew goes down to Tampa where they'll play in front of probably 12,000 fans. It's unbelievable how the two Florida teams just can't get the fans to the ballpark.

Perhaps it will feel like a Spring Training game and that will take the pressure off them.

Now the Crew goes down to Tampa where they'll play in front of probably 12,000 fans. It's unbelievable how the two Florida teams just can't get the fans to the ballpark.

Yup. Has there been any changes to the Tampa stadium situation? I know it's basically crap, but after this long they don't draw anyone it's probably time to give someplace else a crack at it and see how it goes rather than spending a billion on a new stadium there. I don't recall any news about a new stadium. Probably better to do that than a 2 team expansion. Montreal and Charlotte would keep them in the AL East.

Community Moderator

Yup. Has there been any changes to the Tampa stadium situation? I know it's basically crap, but after this long they don't draw anyone it's probably time to give someplace else a crack at it and see how it goes rather than spending a billion on a new stadium there. I don't recall any news about a new stadium. Probably better to do that than a 2 team expansion. Montreal and Charlotte would keep them in the AL East.

The Rays will not be relocated because they have a large fanbase that prefers not to attend games in person (stadium issue + older skewing fanbase). The Rays TV audience is in the top half of MLB. They have a much larger TV audience than the Brewers (thanks to higher population in Tampa/St. Pete).

The Rays will not be relocated because they have a large fanbase that prefers not to attend games in person (stadium issue + older skewing fanbase). The Rays TV audience is in the top half of MLB. They have a much larger TV audience than the Brewers (thanks to higher population in Tampa/St. Pete).

Well, Lord have mercy give them free access to the TV airings of the Montreal Rays then!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

A new stadium across the bay, actually in Tampa, would likely have a big impact on attendance on it's own. Remains to be seen how big though.

Community Moderator
A new stadium across the bay, actually in Tampa, would likely have a big impact on attendance on it's own. Remains to be seen how big though.

Yep, that would make a big difference. We know Tampa can turn out for sporting events (see Lightning) so it should help. It seems like there has been at least some progress.

Miami should see a boost once Loria gets rid of the team, but the new owners have to undo decades worth of distrust and disinterest.

I'll always remember being at one of the Angels-Indians games at Miller Park, during a snowstorm that dropped about 7 inches in which plows had to clear individual rows before the line of cars could file in. The Brewers were playing in Miami on a perfect night. The game with two teams that weren't the home team with a snowstorm going on outside had more fans in attendance.

Yep, that would make a big difference. We know Tampa can turn out for sporting events (see Lightning) so it should help. It seems like there has been at least some progress.

Miami should see a boost once Loria gets rid of the team, but the new owners have to undo decades worth of distrust and disinterest.

Yea that's my guess, they'll argue a new stadium will fix attendance. It won't, and you'll have the same situation as Miami. They said the exact same thing when they built Miami's new stadium. And as much as the guy is a crook, the Marlins overall have been an overall success on the field since they came in, of course a bit unconventional with the big spends and then sell offs, but it's worked. Besides the titles only 2 season below 69 wins in the last 20 years, so generally competitive. At least better than what we've done.

I'd actually argue the new stadium did help attendance a bit. Probably would be more helpful for Tampa Bay. I have heard the stadium is in such a terrible location it takes half a day sometime to drive to. Better location and a better park would notably increase their attendance. The Marlins attendance would be even better if the ownership wasn't a bunch of cheap douches.

Community Moderator

Yea that's my guess, they'll argue a new stadium will fix attendance. It won't, and you'll have the same situation as Miami. They said the exact same thing when they built Miami's new stadium. And as much as the guy is a crook, the Marlins overall have been an overall success on the field since they came in, of course a bit unconventional with the big spends and then sell offs, but it's worked. Besides the titles only 2 season below 69 wins in the last 20 years, so generally competitive. At least better than what we've done.

You can't compare the Rays and Marlins...completely different situations...the Marlins have major problems with the fans distrusting ownership.

With the value of TV contracts, attendance is no longer a prerequisite to having a profitable MLB team. Loria is about to walk away with half a billion dollars in profit.

Archived