Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson No Bueno

3and2Fastball
I will never understand why we have a thread like this every year. The guy is funny, knowledgeable and entertaining. If you spend 3 hours a night for 162 days (or however many days he does), you are bound to find flaws in anyone. I love the guy. Having Matt LePay as a fill in is an absolute blessing. We are so lucky to have them...not to mention Uecker on the radio side for all these years. These guys are all top decile announcers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is amazing the quality of WI broadcasters we have. Brewers Radio and TV, Badgers, Bucks, Packers all really good. Even the local HS sports radio guys in Appleton are solid when I tune in here and there (though definitely not in the same league). I agree with the points made that any broadcaster is going to have little things that might irk someone, especially after countless games of hearing them over and over.

Really, everything is better in Wisconsin! Even the fan forums!

So like every time this discussion happens, it comes down to "everyone else sucks, so Brian Anderson is good". I'm not going to say he's horrible but I cannot believe people find him to be good. He's boring, middle of the road, vanilla, blah.

No it is the fact there is a pretty large pile of garbage announcers out there so people should stop pleading for Anderson to be fired cause he calls his HRs later than others(among other petty complaints). People want to get rid of Anderson when they don't even know the alternative and being Milwaukee it would probably be someone pretty cruddy.

You basically just backed up my point.

No because you are inferring people are saying that because Anderson isn't good, but there is worse. Most of those people actually like him, but aren't trying to put their opinion down others throats. Instead they are cautiously warning others be careful what they don't like because much worse is likely on the horizon.

Sooo, should they just not have announcers?

I'd be good with this. Just give me the crowd noise.

I actually do watch a ton on silent. Baseball is such a slow game that it's easy to pop on a 2nd TV and have it going on the side. Football is a bit faster game but I find most NFL announcers to be unbearable. Often times making themselves a distraction and annoyance. Herbstreit is great overall though for CFB, aside from overuse of the word Tempo in recent years. All I want is a guy to say what's going on without being obnoxious and full of themselves, BA does that just fine.

I really think the setup they have where BA misses a bunch of games is a good thing overall from the fans perspective. Baseball season is so long that a change of pace every once in awhile just to hear something different is a good thing. I suppose that's something to credit BA for, he's good enough to be called away so much that this happens.

Just curious - do you think there are two groups of people in general, ones that like or don't care about announcers and ones that get irritated by a majority of announcers? Try to be honest with yourself.

I'm in the camp that never really notices announcers unless it's someone like Davie Nelson in the booth as a replacement. If I do notice announcers screwing up or being goofy, it makes me laugh as opposed to being irritated. It almost entertains me. Anyway, just curious if the people who don't like BA, also tend to dislike a lot of national announcers as well (Buck, Aikmen, Collinsworth, etc)

Just curious - do you think there are two groups of people in general, ones that like or don't care about announcers and ones that get irritated by a majority of announcers? Try to be honest with yourself.

I'm in the camp that never really notices announcers unless it's someone like Davie Nelson in the booth as a replacement. If I do notice announcers screwing up or being goofy, it makes me laugh as opposed to being irritated. It almost entertains me. Anyway, just curious if the people who don't like BA, also tend to dislike a lot of national announcers as well (Buck, Aikmen, Collinsworth, etc)

I'm with you; I rarely notice announcers. If I do, they're probably doing a bad job but they have to be really bad.

For the most part I don't get bothered by them in baseball and basketball, and that's a good thing. A guy like Gus Johnson doing Bucks games though I don't like, that's what I don't want from an announcer, making it about him. NFL announcers are horrible though for the most part. I guess it's more the 'color' guys for me who want to act like a coach in the booth and get over the top with all this stuff to show they're experts. Though I'm the rare WI person who doesn't hate Buck/Aikman, I find them generally bland. Which is fine, just don't be annoying and obnoxious.

I really didn't have a problem with Anderson until he started getting all the national gigs and was talked up as so great. I still don't see it and probably never will.

As for the national guys, I hated Buck way before it was popular. I don't understand the hate for Aikmen, which is generally only from Packer fans because they feel he hates the Packers for some reason. I actually really like Collinsworth. I think he does a great job and being fun while providing interesting analysis. He sounds like a guy who's really a fan of the game and gets excited over good football.

I rarely notice announcers either. I enjoy that they're there and chatting about the game, but I really only notice them when 1.) they say something blatantly wrong about what just happened on the field (which I find annoying, especially if it has to do with them being a homer for the team they represent) or 2.) when they're reacting to an exciting moment in a game (which I enjoy the added energy when they do it well).

Overall, I think both our tv and radio announcers do a good job on both fronts and I rarely find myself thinking about the job they're doing as opposed to thinking about the game. In a lot of ways, I see the announcers in baseball like cornerbacks in football, if you don't notice them, they're probably doing a good job.

Takeaways from this thread:

1) There is a national shortage of quality announcers. Put them on the endangered species list

2) I have too much time on my hands

3) A majority (but not all) of Brewerfan.net posters disagree with me on this topic

It really was meant to be light-hearted. Anderson's OK, at times entertaining, at times pretty bland = "Brian Anderson No Bueno"

I mean he's no Bill Hall or Russell Branyon or even T Plush in terms of legendary Milwaukee characters

Moderators feel free to delete this thread if you wish. It really wasn't meant to be a big deal. From here on out I will restrict my BA complaining to IGT's

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I watched the Pirates game on MLBtv last night, and sweet Jesus, they have awful broadcasters. Dull, flat, boring, with zero personality. We absolutely have better than a huge number of other teams I've surmised over the years.

Those Pirate announcers are the worst! The Marlins had a great team when Tommy Hutton was the color guy (I like their play-by-play guy). I'll take BA over Cushon all day long and twice on Sundays. :tongue

I really didn't have a problem with Anderson until he started getting all the national gigs and was talked up as so great. I still don't see it and probably never will.

As for the national guys, I hated Buck way before it was popular. I don't understand the hate for Aikmen, which is generally only from Packer fans because they feel he hates the Packers for some reason. I actually really like Collinsworth. I think he does a great job and being fun while providing interesting analysis. He sounds like a guy who's really a fan of the game and gets excited over good football.

Its kinda funny - fans of other NFL teams besides the Packers have no love for Buck and Aikman. They all feel these guys hate their team and are rooting for the other team. :laughing

Archived