Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson No Bueno

3and2Fastball
How does one get so offended over an announcer? Why get all bent out of shape? It's almost comical how much it irritates some people. You are mentioning little minor things I have never noticed before.

You might as well mute the TV. No way any announcer would please you.

Why do you care so much about what annoys other people?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was mostly intended to just be a light hearted thread, and the responses have been fun

I do find the notion that "there are much worse announcers out there" to be not exactly a convincing vote of confidence.

McDonald's gets lots of "national work" too, they are kinda bland. At least Brian hasn't talked about his Dog in 2 or 3 games, I'd call that a hot streak

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

BA is literally one of the best PBP guys in the country in any sport. And that he can do multiple sports at such a high level elevates him even more. To think he is bad at his job is absolutely baffling.

And Rock is fine. It's cool to have a total homer former player as the color guy, especially one who has been attached to the team for so long. It's fun.

The dog thing is stupid, but I feel like Rock LOVES bringing it up first. Is this dog new? I don't remember ever being mentioned before this year. Was this just something he was talking about when bark at the park was coming up

I'm a little surprised at all the love for BA on here. I find him to be really annoying, it has nothing to do with him being "boring", I don't even find him boring at all. Just annoying.

What does he do that is so annoying?

-Whenever we play the Pirates at PNC Park, he says "Alleganie River" like a million times a game. That would be a good drinking game, take a drink every time he says it, you'll be wasted halfway through the game. Like, we get it, you know the name of the river that's next to the stadium.. I can't speak for other people, but I couldn't care less about some stupid river when I'm watching a baseball game.

-Have you ever heard him say the word "amateur"? It's like nails on a chalkboard.

-He's a big-time homer. All he does all game long, is praise Brewer after Brewer with unneccesary praise that gets very old fast.

- He compares players/praises players based off old-fashioned stats like RBIs, errors, etc.

That's funny because I think he's the opposite. He generally gushes over opposing players more than ours but the things he does say about our guys are generally generic stupid unnecessary things like you say.

Since this has sort of becoming a general announcing thread (Wasn't one of those floating around at some point? Maybe it could be brought back with that more general title?), I wanted to add my appreciation of Grindl and Levering. I will be really bummed when Ueck can't do this anymore, but those two offer hope.

As for Lepay, I agree that baseball doesn't suit him as much as radio football and basketball, but he's gotten a lot better since he started. Seem to me like the guy is a professional that will just get better at anything broadcasting related if he does it long enough.

What does he do that is so annoying?

-He's a big-time homer. All he does all game long, is praise Brewer after Brewer with unneccesary praise that gets very old fast.

- He compares players/praises players based off old-fashioned stats like RBIs, errors, etc.

That's funny because I think he's the opposite. He generally gushes over opposing players more than ours but the things he does say about our guys are generally generic stupid unnecessary things like you say.

I agree. I think he's far from a homer. He has certain players that he gushes about, Jordy Mercer for some weird reason, but he has a relatively neutral stance. IMO there are very few play by play callers I'd take over him.

As for Lepay, I agree that baseball doesn't suit him as much as radio football and basketball, but he's gotten a lot better since he started. Seem to me like the guy is a professional that will just get better at anything broadcasting related if he does it long enough.

Man oh man, I think Lepay is way better than BA. Just a matter of opinion though. I like a good home grilled steak better than McDonald's too, even though Billions eat the Mickie D's

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina Pina it's Pina, you idiot.

Don't criticize. He's on national TV a lot. We're lucky to have him. There are worse announcers out there.

Man oh man, I think Lepay is way better than BA. Just a matter of opinion though. I like a good home grilled steak better than McDonald's too, even though Billions eat the Mickie D's

You just compared something that is a $1 to something that is $10+. You really just complimented BA even more because he is more expensive and most people still prefer him.

I can't even believe we are having this conversation on this board? Is BA perfect - no, nobody is. But, as others have already stated - there is a reason why he is so coveted for all of these national broadcasts. The guy is one of the best in the business, and we are extremely lucky to have him - especially for as small of a market as we are.

I'm not a UW fan, but I've always been jealous of the Badgers for having Lepay as their PBP guy for football and hoops. There is no doubt that he is also one of the best in the business for what he does there. And, I think he does a fine job filling in for BA when he's out doing his national stuff. But, he's not on the same level as BA for calling baseball games on TV. He just isn't.

I've talked to some people that know this business well from outside the state, and they say that Wisconsin sports fans don't realize how fortunate they are to have the PBP guys that they have covering all of the sports teams in this state.

I think it's time we move onto something else to complain about.

I think many of you are underestimating how hard it is to be a Baseball announcer and to constantly stay fresh. We are talking 162 games with a lot of downtime. Yes I know BA does fewer games than that, but it's still a lot. People are going to repeat themselves, they will say dumb things, they will screw up. I think there are a lot of people that will never be happy with a full time radio or tv guy. I've always thought we've been extremely fortunate in WI and as Brewer fans, to have had the talent we've had (especially in a small market. Be thankful.

I can't even believe we are having this conversation on this board? Is BA perfect - no, nobody is. But, as others have already stated - there is a reason why he is so coveted for all of these national broadcasts. The guy is one of the best in the business, and we are extremely lucky to have him - especially for as small of a market as we are.

I'm not a UW fan, but I've always been jealous of the Badgers for having Lepay as their PBP guy for football and hoops. There is no doubt that he is also one of the best in the business for what he does there. And, I think he does a fine job filling in for BA when he's out doing his national stuff. But, he's not on the same level as BA for calling baseball games on TV. He just isn't.

I've talked to some people that know this business well from outside the state, and they say that Wisconsin sports fans don't realize how fortunate they are to have the PBP guys that they have covering all of the sports teams in this state.

That's the truth. Try listening to Dan McLaughlin (Cardinals) sometime. The smirk, smarm, and passive aggressive homerism is just brutal.

Or, closer to home, imagine having Hawk Freaking Harrelson. I mean, if you want unabashed homerism, I suppose he's your guy, but that's not what I want. (Good news for Sox fans is Hawk's replacement, Jason Benetti, is really good.)

Remember, it could be a lot worse. The Brewers employed Daron Sutton. I wanted to jump through my TV and throttle him nearly every time he was on. Talk about no-talent coasting on his last name. Yeesh.

That's the truth. Try listening to Dan McLaughlin (Cardinals) sometime. The smirk, smarm, and passive aggressive homerism is just brutal.

Or, closer to home, imagine having Hawk Freaking Harrelson. I mean, if you want unabashed homerism, I suppose he's your guy, but that's not what I want. (Good news for Sox fans is Hawk's replacement, Jason Benetti, is really good.)

Remember, it could be a lot worse. The Brewers employed Daron Sutton. I wanted to jump through my TV and throttle him nearly every time he was on. Talk about no-talent coasting on his last name. Yeesh.

So like every time this discussion happens, it comes down to "everyone else sucks, so Brian Anderson is good". I'm not going to say he's horrible but I cannot believe people find him to be good. He's boring, middle of the road, vanilla, blah.

No it is the fact there is a pretty large pile of garbage announcers out there so people should stop pleading for Anderson to be fired cause he calls his HRs later than others(among other petty complaints). People want to get rid of Anderson when they don't even know the alternative and being Milwaukee it would probably be someone pretty cruddy.

So like every time this discussion happens, it comes down to "everyone else sucks, so Brian Anderson is good". I'm not going to say he's horrible but I cannot believe people find him to be good. He's boring, middle of the road, vanilla, blah.

No it is the fact there is a pretty large pile of garbage announcers out there so people should stop pleading for Anderson to be fired cause he calls his HRs later than others(among other petty complaints). People want to get rid of Anderson when they don't even know the alternative and being Milwaukee it would probably be someone pretty cruddy.

You basically just backed up my point.

You basically just backed up my point.

Sooo, should they just not have announcers? They're all going to do stuff you get sick of, make mistakes, repeat the same things, etc because there are so many games. It's simply that there is above a 95% chance that whoever they get to replace BA would be worse than BA. Might even be closer to 100% since if someone is better they're doing national stuff, their teams won't let them go, or they would have no interest in the smallest market that is not viewed in any way as destination place to be.

Maybe people would like that, more stuff to complain about I guess and that seems to be what a lot of people enjoy.

Archived