Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson No Bueno

3and2Fastball

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lepay has done a decent job filling in, but Anderson is much much better. He's more knowledgeable and a better speaker. Lepay is good for a big home run call, but Anderson is consistently above average hour after hour, game after game.
advocates for the devil

How many threads are we going to start about this? You are beating a dead horse. Sorry if you don't like Anderson, but he is one of the best. Why do a select few on here get so tied up and interested in the announcers. It is like the other day when someone was knocking Bill Schroeder for saying "If you aren't going to get a hit that is the best possible alternative." only for said poster to correct Bill and say a two run error would have actually been the best outcome.

Does complaining about the team and players just get boring so you take it out on announcers. Half the complaints I see in the game thread I don't even recall hearing because I don't tediously listen to the announcers word for word. If anything at this point the casual Bill Shroeder errors and the nightly mentions of his terrible playing career are funny cause you know it is coming.

All announcers have things that bother you, but I don't understand getting so worked up about it. For instance the way Matt Lepay says "Thaammmeees" with a growl type voice it may be the dumbest sounding thing I have ever heard an announcer do. However I don't call for his job, start threads, or lose sleep over it.

I just want to know if other forums fret over their announcers like we do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's a bummer that Anderson is gone so much for national gigs, but it's also a benefit that a small market team like Milwaukee has a TV play-by-play man of that caliber. Lepay is good as a fill-in, but like the others have said, it's really no contest. Not if you're talking about comparing Lepay to Coshun, that's a whole different story. ;)

I moved out of state so I watch the games on mlb.tv. In most cases I put on the road feed because Schroeder is so awful and listening to Augustine try to construct a full sentence without stumbling over half of it is just painful.

Anderson is fine, just a bit boring.

Much prefer Matt Lepay

Maybe the Rangers can steal BA away? Perhaps that is his dream job

You like Lepay because you enjoy the same call all the time? You must have kept Chris Berman popular for a long time.

Anderson at least has some baseball knowledge, unlike lepay.

And Augustines ridiculous accent and mispronouncistions should have gotten him off TV long ago

Remember, Brian Anderson came from a background of being on golf telecasts. However, I don't find him all that boring. I appreciate his approach to calling the game.

Anderson must really stink because he is frequently pulled to do national broadcasts.

Lepay is, IMHO, one of the best play by play announcers on the radio in the country. The gentleman from Ohio State does a very good job, too, but isn't as good as Lepay. I think we get spoiled by the talent in the broadcasting world in Wisconsin.

Matt Lepay is a football guy. I know this because of one thing he does with the Brewers. Go watch an Eric Thames homerun highlight reel and wait for Lepay to celebrate by saying his name. Sometimes he says "Eric" normally and then "Thames" is said in a growly voice like Eric Thames just sacked the QB for a big loss.

Think I am kidding? Go watch a video and close your eyes.

I think people just need to realize when you listen to someone almost every day for 6 months straight that you're going to get sick of them, hear the same jokes/comments, etc. Being an every day baseball announcer is very difficult for this reason. I'd generally agree Anderson is a little bland, but that's actually what I prefer. I want them to just blend in and not be a bother. The 'bad' announcers are the ones that try to make it about themselves and annoy you in the process. I watch a lot of MLB network so hear plenty of other teams, and ours are clearly in the upper tier and it's not even close. Besides the over the top buffoon types, you'd be shocked how much complete dead air there is on others. Being a WI guy I've found myself liking Lepay too, but BA clearly knows more baseball than him. In a way I also think it's a good thing BA is gone sometimes to give people a break and just a change of pace

When can we make a thread on bashing Joe Buck? Talk about a stale subject...some of you are truly spoiled by the quality of announcing in Wisconsin. The only way it could get better in my opinion is if they hired Provus back with Ueck and dumped those two on the radio.

Slightly off topic, but with Ueck's reduced schedule this year, I've come to enjoy Jeff Levering and Lane Grindle together on the radio. Ueck is great, though I think he's lost a step over the years. The booth with no former player "analyst" is a nice change of pace.

Lepay stinks at calling baseball......his whole stick is waiting for Rock to say something and then agreeing with him....and then explaining why Rock was right......

He is bad.

Haha the Bill thing is so true. Baseball knowledge is pretty bad.

Slightly off topic, but with Ueck's reduced schedule this year, I've come to enjoy Jeff Levering and Lane Grindle together on the radio. Ueck is great, though I think he's lost a step over the years. The booth with no former player "analyst" is a nice change of pace.

I'm a solid fan of the Levering/Grindle pairing. I enjoy the conversational groove they've settled into, at least as much as I enjoy the traditional Uecker + sidekick dynamic when Bob is doing games. Ueck is great and has earned all his adoration, but he does dominate the airspace when he's in the booth. There's value to me in both radio duos.

I used to think that Uecker + Joe Block was like a great-uncle and his great-nephew (or grand-nephew or whatever the term is); Bob tells stories and does his thing, while Joe enabled it (for lack of a better word). I think Jeff holds his own with Ueck better. I've only heard Lane and Ueck on parts of a few spring training games.

My preference for the radio call (either pair) is such that I actually don't catch the FSWI broadcasters very often. I like Matt Lepay, maybe because I'm so used to hearing him on the radio for the Badgers, but his backup role is enough for me.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Honestly, I don't listen to any broadcasters for their "baseball knowledge." I can probably count on one hand the number of times any announcer pointed out something about the rules, etc. that I didn't already know.

I like Brian and Rock because they're like old friends, I just listen to their playful banter while I watch the game. I'm not looking for any deep insight, really not necessary. I'm watching the game so I can see all that for myself.

If BA ever leaves I want Jerry Augustine to take his spot.

I agree. It would be hilarious. How that guy ever got a job in TV is way beyond my comprehension.

I heard Jerry speak at a conference for about 30 minutes straight a couple years ago. He was nowhere near as bad as he is on TV.

If BA ever leaves I want Jerry Augustine to take his spot.

I agree. It would be hilarious. How that guy ever got a job in TV is way beyond my comprehension.

I heard Jerry speak at a conference for about 30 minutes straight a couple years ago. He was nowhere near as bad as he is on TV.

Yeah, my father-in-law said the same thing. He's in insurance right?

Overall, Brian and Bill are fine, better than many other teams TV guys. But Brian kept mispronouncing Jeffress' name last night. He said Jeff-rees at least 5 times. Even my wife who was listening off and on said isn't his name "Jeff-ress? Come on, Brian.

Archived