Brewer Fanatic

2017 Mid-Season BF.net Community Top 25 Prospect Poll - Ballot discussion thread...

Stokes has really quick hands but his barrel control has been questioned. He's a big time fly ball hitter, which I think is great (elevate to celebrate!), but he sacrifices some contact with that approach. The barrel control piece combined with the fly ball piece can lead to some awkward looking swings, but he is pretty good about identifying offspeed pitches. So the awkward swings are not usually a result of chasing crap well out of the zone. And he'll take his walks.

Given his stature, he's a kind of guy that historically is told to hit the ball on the ground and run. He is not that guy. From what I have observed, he has good but not great speed on the basepaths. He is, however, a very intelligent base runner.

I believe that with enough reps he could play CF, but he hasn't been given the reps. He is adequate defensively. Routes still need some work. Arm is ok.

I've been championing Troy for a few years now, so it's great to see him break out. I firmly believe he has the skills to push for a corner outfield position at the highest level.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I don't think either Stokes or Clark are destined for center field. In my opinion both are light years behind both Ray and Harrison in center field. Yes they could stand out in center field and make the routine plays but you are giving up some catches that would have been made by a better centerfielder.

Personally, I don't think either Stokes or Clark are destined for center field. In my opinion both are light years behind both Ray and Harrison in center field. Yes they could stand out in center field and make the routine plays but you are giving up some catches that would have been made by a better centerfielder.

And Clark doesn't have the arm for right, hence why Clark is plummeting down so many lists. I see the speed, power, on base skills, etc with him. I also see 2 years of batting averages in the 230s and a very high k rate. If he can't hit in A ball or high A, how is he going to hit as he runs into higher quality and more refined pitchers that control the ball in the zone better? I'm way down on him until he starts actually hitting better. I would think Michael Reed would have showed it takes more than OBP skills to produce enough to get to the mlb level.

Surprised Roegner didn’t place somewhere on your top 100. He was one of the last few cuts from my top 30. Big lefty with decent stuff and keeps getting better as the season goes on. Just a case of being 24 at A ball? I give him some pass on that being a Tommy John and warm weather pitcher. I know you watch the T-Rats regularly so thought I’d ask.

I've not seen or heard anything on his stuff. I was under the impression it was pretty ordinary though that impression is admittedly unfounded. What do you have that says his stuff?

I thought I remember Minasian praising his stuff this spring/when assignments came out, but I can't seem to find it so maybe it was all in my head.

Thanks And That for the info on him. I don't know if anyone in the system is pitching better than him since the start of July 11.45 K/9 2.05 BB/9 1.23 ERA.

My hope is that Harrison, Clark, and Ray get split up next year, simply because all three can't play CF on the same team at the same time.

It's a good problem to have, but I think the problem that it creates is that having them on the same team means they can't showcase their defensive skills in CF when scouts for other teams come to watch them. I think the Brewers sold Cordell low because he was relegated to corner OF due to having Brinson and Phillips on the same team.

People said Cordell wasn't anything special, but I think it was because many people were looking at him through the lens of a corner OF. He was a CF prior to being acquired by MIL; he's played more games/innings at CF than any other position. I think we see this with Clark; I forget that he's been a CF until this year, and like others I have been prone to judging him as a corner OF.

The Brewers are going to have to trade some of those guys sooner rather than later, and I think scouts will have a hard time evaluating their true value if they can't play CF because of a logjam at the position.

Breaking up Clark, Harrison, and Ray will be easy because Ray will need a 3rd year at A+, while the other 2 have shown the consistent improvement to continue to move up.

I didn't like Cordell because he was 25 and still couldn't hit. It had nothing to do with his position.

Pretty sure you're referring to "statistical improvement", which doesn't have to show "actual improvement".

Cordell can't hit. Too funny.

My hope is that Harrison, Clark, and Ray get split up next year, simply because all three can't play CF on the same team at the same time.

It's a good problem to have, but I think the problem that it creates is that having them on the same team means they can't showcase their defensive skills in CF when scouts for other teams come to watch them. I think the Brewers sold Cordell low because he was relegated to corner OF due to having Brinson and Phillips on the same team.

People said Cordell wasn't anything special, but I think it was because many people were looking at him through the lens of a corner OF. He was a CF prior to being acquired by MIL; he's played more games/innings at CF than any other position. I think we see this with Clark; I forget that he's been a CF until this year, and like others I have been prone to judging him as a corner OF.

The Brewers are going to have to trade some of those guys sooner rather than later, and I think scouts will have a hard time evaluating their true value if they can't play CF because of a logjam at the position.

Breaking up Clark, Harrison, and Ray will be easy because Ray will need a 3rd year at A+, while the other 2 have shown the consistent improvement to continue to move up.

I didn't like Cordell because he was 25 and still couldn't hit. It had nothing to do with his position.

Pretty sure you're referring to "statistical improvement", which doesn't have to show "actual improvement".

Cordell can't hit. Too funny.

There's is tons of metrics to measure a player today. If Ray was improving, there'd be a metric to that suggests some kind of improvement. If you can't measure the improvement, then it's tough to say it's happening.

As for Cordell, care to show how you consider him a hitter? He didn't hit anywhere near as well as his Colorado Springs teammates. He's 25 and nowhere near being a big league hitter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't know how you look at Cordell's minor league career and come to the conclusion that he can't hit and I'm not a bit Cordell fan. He can hit better than most, just not enough to be a first division starter. It think he ends up with a fine career as a 4th OF or second division starter.

With regard to Ray, this is the second thread you have expressed your dislike of him. I'm guessing you never liked the pick and Reilly did a good job of countering your thoughts in the other thread. The problem with your perspective is that minor league development is not always linear. There are going to be steps backward for some guys before they can move forward.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived