Brewer Fanatic

CF & OF Rest of the Season

Unless we want to market Phillips in an attempt to raise his value I am starting Lewis Brinson every single day. Brinson is the future not Phillips. Phillips won't be here a year from now.

I wouldn't be so sure about that with Phillips.

If i'm Stearns in the offseason, unless i get a good offer involving Phillips, i'm keeping him as my 4th outfielder next year.

1. Braun's health is so fragile, going forward the team needs a competent 4th outfielder. At any point he could suffer one of his multiple weeks to months long strains or pulls and i don't want some veteran scrub like Nieuwenhuis getting that playing time because we gave away Phillips to cheaply.

2. As much as i have high hopes for Brinson as the long term solution in CF, no prospect is ever a lock to succeed. Phillips is a buffer in case Brinson doesn't pan out as we all hope.

Baseball is a long grinding 162 game season, so what can look like excess depth at a position going into a given year can quickly turn if a player or two gets hurt beyond something minor and that can open the door for a young player to prove himself.

I guess the logic is that they don't want to burn Broxton's last option; and I'm fine with that, it makes sense. But to then keep Brinson up and in the mix once we get back to 5 starters in the coming days, they would need to make space by either going with a 7-man bullpen or by getting rid of a position player. They don't seem to be willing (Or able; not many relievers with options remaining in the pen tbh) to do the former, and I don't think they want to DFA Sogard or Villar at this point.

EDIT: Reminder to not go AFK while writing a post; takes too long!

Frustrating. A 7 game sample in AAA surrounded by an offense that was piling on runs and Broxton is deemed back on track after 6 weeks of stink. 5 games of starting in MLB and Brinson is benched/about to be optioned.

Unless we want to market Phillips in an attempt to raise his value I am starting Lewis Brinson every single day. Brinson is the future not Phillips. Phillips won't be here a year from now.

I wouldn't be so sure about that with Phillips.

If i'm Stearns in the offseason, unless i get a good offer involving Phillips, i'm keeping him as my 4th outfielder next year.

1. Braun's health is so fragile, going forward the team needs a competent 4th outfielder. At any point he could suffer one of his multiple weeks to months long strains or pulls and i don't want some veteran scrub like Nieuwenhuis getting that playing time because we gave away Phillips to cheaply.

2. As much as i have high hopes for Brinson as the long term solution in CF, no prospect is ever a lock to succeed. Phillips is a buffer in case Brinson doesn't pan out as we all hope.

Baseball is a long grinding 162 game season, so what can look like excess depth at a position going into a given year can quickly turn if a player or two gets hurt beyond something minor and that can open the door for a young player to prove himself.

I think this post nails what their plan should be. I'd add in that I'd also start having Santana this offseason putting in at least some cursory time becoming competent at 1B for flexibility in the future. Who knows who gets hurt and frankly Thames hasn't been good since April. It looks like he can't consistently hit a breaking ball.

Frustrating. A 7 game sample in AAA surrounded by an offense that was piling on runs and Broxton is deemed back on track after 6 weeks of stink. 5 games of starting in MLB and Brinson is benched/about to be optioned.

Small sample for Brinson but they've both kinda stunk in MLB this year. In this case I guess I'd go with Broxton and keep Brinson in AAA to not burn service time and keep him actually playing.

Having Brinson sit on the bench is so stupid. If you're going to play Broxton, fine but at least send Brinson down so he can play.

5 DH games coming up quickly ya'll and you know Braun is getting most of those days.

Small sample for Brinson but they've both kinda stunk in MLB this year. In this case I guess I'd go with Broxton and keep Brinson in AAA to not burn service time and keep him actually playing.

Plus, i gotta believe that Stearns will trade Broxton for whatever he can get for him in the offseason, so if he can play better these last few months, it would help on the return, even if it's nothing special.

Plus, i gotta believe that Stearns will trade Broxton for whatever he can get for him in the offseason, so if he can play better these last few months, it would help on the return, even if it's nothing special.

I agree that's the best play as Broxton having that extra option moving forward is a bonus and if he can get going the final 2 months of the season he can boost is trade value in the off season. Regarding trading him, I've been saying that for well over a month now. Brinson is the CF of the future without question joining Braun/Santana. While I'd understand trading Phillips and keeping Broxton as your 4th I think it makes way more sense to trade Broxton in the off season and keep Phillips as your 4th. His value rises even more as he'll get 350+ AB, plays all 3 spots well, has a cannon and is the only left handed hitting OF option. This is why I can't see him being traded unless he's part of a package to get a great controllable impact player/pitcher. Stearns/Counsell love lefties - Shaw, Thames, Villar (switch), Sogard, Vogt, Phillips, Ray, Diaz, Erceg, Clark

• 2 weeks later...
the brewers have an problem (a good problem but one none the less. they have atleast 1 and maybe 2 infielders too many. I'd player Walker at 2nd everyday and i would platoon Villar and Broxton in CF the rest of the way (at make it clear that they are both playing for roster spots in 2018. those 2 players are by far the most disappointing brewers this season. Sogard can then back up Arcia and Walker. If Villar continues to play well I could then let him return back to 2nd next year and not worry about resigning Walker. If he doesn't then the brewers have a decision to make.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Phillips certainly has looked the part on defense and has a great eye at the plate. I am quite the fan of his.

Phillips defense is pretty sweet. He is going to need it as he probably won't hit that much due his his strikeout issues. There is nothing wrong with that - just what it is.

Phillips has struck out about 30% of the time in the minors the last three years. That's awfully high. He has, however, mitigated that by walking between 10-14% of the time.

In the majors (limited sample size) he's about about a 10% walk rate and 35% strikeout rate. If he can bring the K rate down to the 30% range (which I think is possible as many of his initial strikeouts were on his first exposure to big league pitching), and can keep a 10% walk rate - that's not bad. Maybe hit .250-.260, play good defense, provide value on the base paths and hit 15 HRs. It's kind of what we had hoped Keon would do at the position this year.

Because of the high strikeout rates, I don't think Phillips is going to hit for a high average. He still needs to take a couple of steps forward, but there's a lot to like.

Wow, I don't really see anything about Phillips I dislike. I'll live with the strikeouts as long as the guy can get on base and Phillips is doing that. Definitely has a chance to be a plus outfielder at any of the three spots and throw in 5 steals in just 34 games.

Archived