Brewer Fanatic

Brewers were exchanging names up until deadline, including one bigger trade

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing.

I'll bet the big trade was either with Detroit for Kinsler etc. or with Miami for Straily.

Doubt the Brewers were involved late on Gray or Darvish.

I'm just curious to see if it ultimately comes out as to what the "big trade" was.

Without knowing for who or for what, does it surprise anyone the ever passive Stearns didn't pull the trigger??

No, but it surprises me some people actually think Stearns is passive.

Yeah I don't think the Brewers have traded more in a 2 year period than when he has been here. Not making short sighted moves to chase a one and done playoff does not mean being passive.

Without knowing for who or for what, does it surprise anyone the ever passive Stearns didn't pull the trigger??

Yeah I don't think the Brewers have traded more in a 2 year period than when he has been here. Not making short sighted moves to chase a one and done playoff does not mean being passive.

Prove to me with 100% certainty they would have been one and done...if you can, I will never post anything negative about Stearns again. Further, if you can 100% with certainty prove to me, the Brewers will contend again anytime within the next 5 years, I will leave this board for good.

It really does amaze me how many people here are content with a rebuilding plan(ie losing a lot), that is not guaranteed to work. if it doesn't, the brewers could be in for a looooooooong losing draought. And you would all be okay with that?? I just can't handle losing. It's my competitive nature. I just don't get why so many people are accepting of it.

Prove to me with 100% certainty they would have been one and done...if you can, I will never post anything negative about Stearns again. Further, if you can 100% without certainty prove to me, the Brewers will contend again anytime within the next 5 years, I will leave this board for good.

It really does amaze me how many people here are content with a rebuilding plan(ie losing a lot), that is not guaranteed to work. if it doesn't, the brewers could be in for a looooooooong losing draought. And you would all be okay with that?? I just can't handle losing. It's my competitive nature. I just don't get why so many people are accepting of it.

First off, the Brewers aren't losing. They're above 500. Secondly, I get people being competitive but you're not even playing dude. You're a spectator. Third, prove to everyone the Brewers would make the playoffs this year with Gray as well as the next 2yrs. Prove to everyone Gray won't land on the DL over the rest of his contract (3 DL stints in past 1.5yrs). It's a two-way street with that

Prove to me with 100% certainty they would have been one and done...if you can, I will never post anything negative about Stearns again. Further, if you can 100% without certainty prove to me, the Brewers will contend again anytime within the next 5 years, I will leave this board for good.

I don't think you're going to win this argument and I don't think anyone's going to change your point of view. Everyone that's against overpaying for players are against it for the same reason you're for it, they hate losing. There has to be part of you that understands that trading away prospects has some affect on the future success of the team, correct? By trading away our top prospects, you're not only trading away the potential for many years of controllable, high upside, low cost, talent (which is necessary for a team in Milwaukee's market and in a sport with baseball's salary structures... you *have* to hit on some prospects in order to have a chance at a winning team), but you're also trading away prospects that may be better used later in trade when the rest of the team is closer to being truly competitive. For most here, it's a timing issue. It's not convincing that this is the team to start using our assets on when they've 1.) played well above expectations, and 2.) have really just been a team hovering just above .500 all year and really only maintained 1st place for so long because other teams in the division underperformed for the first half. The Cubs have already surged past us and they are undoubtedly the more talented team this year, regardless of who we did or did not trade for. It seems very unwise to knowingly overpay in prospects when the likelihood of actually making the playoffs is still so low. If you don't agree, that's fair and your opinion, but to constantly act like it's the most perplexing thing ever to want to build through the farm system instead of striking when on paper this team is overachieving seems a bit dramatic.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I'll never post here again if..." ...you can prove the impossible. Like you're taking some risk with this challenge.

Stearns has a 4-6 year plan...Hopefully the Brewers make the playoffs once in that time period, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised is he was let go, paving the way for Epstein to swoosh in...joking about Epstein part.

Further, if you can 100% without certainty prove to me, the Brewers will contend again anytime within the next 5 years, I will leave this board for good.

Goodbye!!!! I can prove 100% without certainty the Brewers will contend again in 5 years.

Now we will see if you're a man of your word.

I don't think you're going to win this argument and I don't think anyone's going to change your point of view. Everyone that's against overpaying for players are against it for the same reason you're for it, they hate losing. There has to be part of you that understands that trading away prospects has some affect on the future success of the team, correct? By trading away our top prospects, you're not only trading away the potential for many years of controllable, high upside, low cost, talent (which is necessary for a team in Milwaukee's market and in a sport with baseball's salary structures... you *have* to hit on some prospects in order to have a chance at a winning team), but you're also trading away prospects that may be better used later in trade when the rest of the team is closer to being truly competitive. For most here, it's a timing issue. It's not convincing that this is the team to start using our assets on when they've 1.) played well above expectations, and 2.) have really just been a team hovering just above .500 all year and really only maintained 1st place for so long because other teams in the division underperformed for the first half. The Cubs have already surged past us and they are undoubtedly the more talented team this year, regardless of who we did or did not trade for. It seems very unwise to knowingly overpay in prospects when the likelihood of actually making the playoffs is still so low. If you don't agree, that's fair and your opinion, but to constantly act like it's the most perplexing thing ever to want to build through the farm system instead of striking when on paper this team is overachieving seems a bit dramatic.

Okay, I totally get they are overachieving this year, zero doubt about that. That being said..as we can see, standings can turn dramatically in the course of a week or two. Just because the Cubs are hot right now and the Brewers are cold, doesn't mean that in two weeks(after the Cubs are done playing 9-12 against Arz and Washington), that the Brewers couldn't be right back on top of the division with a 2 or 3 game lead. Yes, they could also be 5-6 games back too. I certainly understand that. But let's be honest with ourselves..as I noted in a different thread a few days ago, everyone here I'm sure is well aware, that of the three major sports..MLB, NFL, and NBA, baseball is the most likely of the three to have a champion that truly wasn't the most talented team. We have seen it before. There is just so much variance in baseball, that a little bleeder here, a ball 4 call on a pitch that was actually strike three, a foul pop that pop's out of a fielder's glove leading to an extended AB HR...anything like that can turn a series completely around. You don't have to be the most talented team for those things to happen...just have to have it happen at the right time. In the NFL and NBA, almost always the more talented team wins, and it's easy to predict who's going to win.

I am not, and was not ever a fan of "emptying the farm". But I do think many of you are too attached to some prospects that you think they are better then they probably really are. And, what if they don't get to the point in the next 3-4 years of close enough to contending to then deal some of those prospects to "go for it"?? All things being equal, when you look at the prices that were paid for say Justin Wilson and Sonny Gray, was it really that exorbitant for players still under control?? It was said, the tigers wanted a 3B..so could the Brewers have not centered a deal around Lucas Erceg?? Or at least included him in it?? The A's took a HUGE risk taking two Yankee prospects that are currently inured, and even with that, the HIGHEST ranked prospect the Yankees gave up was #4. You mean to tell me the Brewers couldn't have afforded to part with Say Breett Phillips + to acquire Gray(not buying Oakland would have ONLY taken Brinson)??

I do think DS is going to let this play out another week or two and see where they are at then..then we may see him acquire some guys, cuz I will guarantee you he will claim quite a few on waivers.

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty there is someone more disappointed then me in their lack of activity(even if he wont admit it publicly)..the owner Mark A. I promise you, he almost certainly wanted some bigger moves to be made.

I do think though, that DS is going to let this play out another week or two and see where they stand then,

Further, if you can 100% without certainty prove to me, the Brewers will contend again anytime within the next 5 years, I will leave this board for good.

Goodbye!!!! I can prove 100% without certainty the Brewers will contend again in 5 years.

Prove it and I'm gone, i am a man of my word, but just because you THINK they will doesn't make it so.

They are contending now!!! So looks like it is time to delete the account.

Are you like Briggs and really old afraid you will die before the next World Series appearance? Honest question because that is the only way to rationalize your thinking.

Semantics...playing on my mistype...you know it should say WITH certainty or Without a doubt.

Are you like Briggs and really old afraid you will die before the next World Series appearance? Honest question because that is the only way to rationalize your thinking.

If you ask 99% of the posters here...they are legit NOT contending. Hence why no one wanted to see DS make a big trade.

Look, the window(s) for small market teams to contend is so small, that anytime you get a chance you should do whatever you can(within reason) to capitalize on that. What if that window doesn't come around again for 10 more years?? I remember people here being legit upset when DM acquired CC and Greinke. He even said at the time, when your a small market team, you only get so many opportunities, so you have to try to "go for it" when you can. He's right. None of us know what the future holds...but we do know what the present holds..and overachieveing or not, they ARE contending at the moment. We also know that standings can turn dramatically in a week or two. In two weeks again we could be looking at the Brewers on top again with a 2 or 3 game lead. Then wouldn't everyone be a little disappointed that DS didn't do a little more now to help them maybe get over the hump?? I assure you Mark A is disappointed.

. You mean to tell me the Brewers couldn't have afforded to part with Say Breett Phillips + to acquire Gray(not buying Oakland would have ONLY taken Brinson)??

I guess it's easy to be mad about trades that didn't happen when you make up hypothetical terms that were never going to be accepted.

I have no problem with trading away prospects to get talent but you just have to be realistic with the roster you have. This team is nowhere near as good as the Nationals or Dodgers. We are likely worse than the Diamondbacks and Cubs even with a few additions. So realistically we are hoping the DBacks or Cubs collapse and that we get really lucky and somehow beat 2 teams a lot better than us.

This year the NL is really stacked with top end teams, it just isn't the time to make this kind of move. For me to think we had a good chance to win the World Series this year we would have to trade for 4 or 5 players and at least one of them would need to be an ace pitcher which Sonny Gray is not. So the Brewers could have gone the Yankee's path I guess. Trade for Quintana and Darvish and a couple of the bullpen guys. Maybe we become on even footing with the lesser NL playoff teams. We may or may not make the playoffs since we have ground to make up. That would have taken at least half of our top 10 prospects with some lesser prospects as well. Unlike the Yankees we don't have a bunch of young guys in the bigs performing at a high level though so now we just traded away our near future. It just isn't a good way to run a team, especially one without deep pockets.

If you ask 99% of the posters here...they are legit NOT contending. Hence why no one wanted to see DS make a big trade.

Look, the window(s) for small market teams to contend is so small, that anytime you get a chance you should do whatever you can(within reason) to capitalize on that. What if that window doesn't come around again for 10 more years?? I remember people here being legit upset when DM acquired CC and Greinke. He even said at the time, when your a small market team, you only get so many opportunities, so you have to try to "go for it" when you can. He's right. None of us know what the future holds...but we do know what the present holds..and overachieveing or not, they ARE contending at the moment. We also know that standings can turn dramatically in a week or two. In two weeks again we could be looking at the Brewers on top again with a 2 or 3 game lead. Then wouldn't everyone be a little disappointed that DS didn't do a little more now to help them maybe get over the hump?? I assure you Mark A is disappointed.

"(Stearns) batting average is so high now, we’re going to listen to anything he recommends. But, just from ownership to him, there has been no pressure to divert from the plan.”

“I had a meeting with (GM) David (Stearns) and (manager) Craig (Counsell) about a week ago, and I was very clear there would be no pressure from me to divert from the plan,”

Yeah, sounds like Mark A is probably just seething right now.

"(Stearns) batting average is so high now, we’re going to listen to anything he recommends. But, just from ownership to him, there has been no pressure to divert from the plan.”

“I had a meeting with (GM) David (Stearns) and (manager) Craig (Counsell) about a week ago, and I was very clear there would be no pressure from me to divert from the plan,”

Yeah, sounds like Mark A is probably just seething right now.

Please don't put words in my mouth...I did NOT say seething..There is a HUGE difference between seething and being disappointed. Sure Mark A said this, but there was also a blurd in fanrag last week that said Mark A was more willing to part with Brinson for Gray then Stearns was, but that he'd defer to his baseball people. I think it can be inferred from that that Mark A was a bit disappointed something wasn't worked out for Gray.

Archived