Brewer Fanatic

Yankees get Sonny Gray

StearnsFTW

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
glad we didn't dump our farm for him! glad that is over!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Community Moderator

From Jeff Passan....

Source: Gray to Yankees done. Fowler, Mateo, Kaprelian coming back.
Dustin Fowler out with knee surgery, James Kaprelian down with TJ, but if both get back healthy, that's a whopper of a return for Oakland.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Pipeline #s 4, 8 & 12 from an outstanding system. Pretty steep price.

One top 100 prospect according to MLB pipeline (#77). To me this seems roughly equivalent to Ray Ortiz and Diaz. I would have done that deal.

Breaking News: By not trading for Sonny Gray, the Brewers announce that they will retain control over Lewis Brinson for 6 years

Possibly the best headline of the day... and you could also throw a bunch other names in there in place of Brinson and it would ring as true.

Both Fowler and Kaprielian are coming off major injuries and Mateo's prospect stock is way down.

Brewers could have and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Makes me physically ill. The Rich Get Richer.

Pipeline #s 4, 8 & 12 from an outstanding system. Pretty steep price.

One top 100 prospect according to MLB pipeline (#77). To me this seems roughly equivalent to Ray Ortiz and Diaz. I would have done that deal.

I would not have and It has been reported a few times that the A's wanted Brinson so any comparison deal starts with Brinson.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Community Moderator
There is a lot of risk involved in the prospects traded. James Kapreilian looks solid, but also is recovering from Tommy John surgery and hasn't yet thrown 60 innings as a professional. Mateo has certainly experienced some struggles this season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Breaking News: By not trading for Sonny Gray, the Brewers announce that they will retain control over Lewis Brinson for 6 years

The Brewers were never going to trade Brinson and given the return the A's got they wouldn't have had to.

This thread needs to be bumped in two years becuase one way or another a lot of people are going to be dramatically wrong about Sonny Gray.

Hard to judge without knowing all the information. If A's preferred upside no way we match this offer without Brinson. If they hated our prospects also no way to get it done without Brinson. Also possible Stearns is too attached to our good, but not elite prospects. However I guess it is one of the first two options.

Disappointed we couldn't beat that offer.

The Brewers were never going to trade Brinson and given the return the A's got they wouldn't have had to.

This thread needs to be bumped in two years becuase one way or another a lot of people are going to be dramatically wrong about Sonny Gray.

Unfortunately, as tempting as that is, we can't even do that. Gray reunited with Derek Johnson pitching in the NL is different than pitching for the Yankees in the AL East. We don't know how the 2 teams would take different approaches in terms of pitch counts, workouts between starts etc..... too different scenarios to compare

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would not have and It has been reported a few times that the A's wanted Brinson so any comparison deal starts with Brinson.

It was also reported they wanted Frazier or Flores and then it was reported they wanted Florial. Thy didn't walk away with any of them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Both Fowler and Kaprielian are coming off major injuries and Mateo's prospect stock is way down.

Brewers could and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Why? Starting pitching is absolutely the very least of the Brewers problems right now. Garza and Anderson are both nearly back, Suter has pitched very well, Nelson has been close to an ace, and Davies has been lights out for nearly two months. Giving up this kind of package for a position that there's absolutely no need makes zero sense whatsoever.

It looks like the Yankees also picked up Oaklands international bonus slot too.

There wasn't much we could do. This past two weeks took us from contending to barely hanging on. Ultimately, in a big deal like this, our prospects just aren't that interesting except for Brinson and Hader who I wouldn't trade.

Brewers could and should have beaten this package with relative ease.

Terrible.

Why? Starting pitching is absolutely the very least of the Brewers problems right now. Garza and Anderson are both nearly back, Suter has pitched very well, Nelson has been close to an ace, and Davies has been lights out for nearly two months. Giving up this kind of package for a position that there's absolutely no need makes zero sense whatsoever.

Zach Davies lights out???

There are no words...

Archived