Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress Comes Home Again; Tayler Scott's home is now with the Rangers

Wade Davis or Greg Holland would of been nice.

.. and that would have fixed our bullpen problems? Knebel has been great. We needed to replace about 5 guys... not 1.

Who knows but Holland would of been closing and Knebel would of been 8th inning guy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

.. and that would have fixed our bullpen problems? Knebel has been great. We needed to replace about 5 guys... not 1.

Who knows but Holland would of been closing and Knebel would of been 8th inning guy.

They signed a closer, Feliz. Everyone says "Holland" as if it's a 100% given he'd have wanted to come to Milwaukee.

Wonder what Knebel is going to get next year in arbitration? Closers with high save numbers get more money than set up guys...Betances was a little upset with his 3 million dollar ruling as a setup guy.

It's also cute to say that with hindsight 20/20 vision. I for one was totally on board with the Feliz signing and thought he'd put up great numbers here. With that velocity how could he struggle? Boy was I wrong.

Looking back of course we should have signed Davis or Holland. The problem is you never really know what you're getting with a reliever.

They signed a closer, Feliz. Everyone says "Holland" as if it's a 100% given he'd have wanted to come to Milwaukee.

This kills me about fans. A bit different in MKE verses Green Bay but Packers fans go bananas when we don’t sign X player and the fact is that Green Bay is not even a consideration for a lot of NFL players because of location.

Same thing with negotiations. A lot of people are offended right now that Stearns isn’t pulling the trigger on all of these deals… when 99.5% of us have no idea what kind of conversations he is having. For all we know, Stearns was on the phone with Oakland seeing what we could substitute in a package instead of Brinson … some intern walked up and said “Hey, Texas is on the phone and they said we could have Jeffress back for any pitcher having a good season above A ball.”.. Stearns put his hand over the mouthpiece on his phone and shooed the intern away saying “Yeah, that’s fine … don’t give them any of our top 25 pitchers.”.. then went back to trying to reasonably acquire Gray.

But the spin some fans will put on it is “JJ?!?!? Great, this is the moneymaker! World Series Bound! Way to waste our time Stearns!”

WE DON’T KNOW SO WHY BE MAD.

This is a low risk move, but we give up someone on AA and have to put the replacement on the MLB roster, unless they want to immediately put him through waivers are try to assign him to AAA.

having been outrighted to the minor leagues before, jeffress would have the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

Right - but considering his stats, what other team would take him? That might be a risk the team is willing to take, banking on the fact that Jeffress knows his best route back to MLB success is with the Brewers, even if that means toiling in milb until he regains form.

Several

The Cubs traded Jorge Soler for one year of Wade Davis. Prior to this year, that would have been like trading Domingo Santana for him. Would you really want that?

This is a low risk move, but we give up someone on AA and have to put the replacement on the MLB roster, unless they want to immediately put him through waivers are try to assign him to AAA.

having been outrighted to the minor leagues before, jeffress would have the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

Right - but considering his stats, what other team would take him? That might be a risk the team is willing to take, banking on the fact that Jeffress knows his best route back to MLB success is with the Brewers, even if that means toiling in milb until he regains form.

Several

Brewers grasping at straws now...I guess if he pitches to a 5 era, he will fit right in. Typical Stearns pitching move, looking for a diamond but ends up being a lump of coal.

he hasn't even thrown a pitch yet for Milwaukee. please save your negativity for a week from now

Actually we don't know yet f he's going to be in Milwaukee or AAA.

He reports tomorrow. He has no options.

Several

Brewers grasping at straws now...I guess if he pitches to a 5 era, he will fit right in. Typical Stearns pitching move, looking for a diamond but ends up being a lump of coal.

he hasn't even thrown a pitch yet for Milwaukee. please save your negativity for a week from now

Actually we don't know yet f he's going to be in Milwaukee or AAA.

He reports tomorrow. He has no options.

I'm assuming (if no other moves made today), that they will DFA Kirk when Jeffress is added, and then option WCW and recall Phillips (if the 10 day window has passed yet).

phillips won't be eligible for recall yet, but keon broxton will.

i'm predicting dfa-ing nieuwenhuis and carlos torres, and recalling broxton and activating jeffress.

if jeffress isn't able to report to milwaukee by tuesday night, the brewers can hold off on activating him. thus, there would be an opening on the 25-man roster that could allow the brewers to recall keon broxton, and then make a roster move after tuesday's game to activate jeffress.

I don't know if it's 20 / 20 hindsight to say that David Stearns built the bullpen out of a bunch of guys with limited long term value, reclamation projects, and limited upside. Some of it was bad luck, but it's not that surprising that the bullpen has been a problem.

Frankly, Stearns has done more good than bad, but I think his lack of urgency about the bullpen is a hole in his strategy. After all, bullpen arms are the easiest commodity to trade at the deadline. And if you believe you are acquiring guys with potential it's not a bad idea to be prepared for that potential to emerge.

I don't know if it's 20 / 20 hindsight to say that David Stearns built the bullpen out of a bunch of guys with limited long term value, reclamation projects, and limited upside. Some of it was bad luck, but it's not that surprising that the bullpen has been a problem.

Frankly, Stearns has done more good than bad, but I think his lack of urgency about the bullpen is a hole in his strategy. After all, bullpen arms are the easiest commodity to trade at the deadline. And if you believe you are acquiring guys with potential it's not a bad idea to be prepared for that potential to emerge.

Well said.

Huge fan of the Jeffress trade. Some guys are just much more comfortable in certain places and that's been the case with Jeffress in Milwaukee. Small things like this can have a huge impact on one's mentality. A place of comfort is needed for some guys to hit their potential.

Additionally, as someone mentioned already, Wade Davis wasn't even a FA so how could the Brewers have signed him? He was traded for Soler. Davis is a FA after this year. Holland signed for 7M and if the option vests he'll make up to 15M next year before hitting FA (mutual option I believe). It made zero sense to offer him that.

The bullpen wasn't built to compete for the division/playoff run this year. It was built to give guys an opportunity. Feliz was a good sign but it just didn't work out for whatever reason, similar to Jeffress in TX. Feliz has been plenty good in KC this year though.

If its built to give guys opportunities, they why don't they continue to bring up more guys from AA or AAA and see what they do? A change of scenery doesn't automatically mean success, look at Milone. Bottom line is...its another guy Counsell knows and is comfortable with.

If its built to give guys opportunities, they why don't they continue to bring up more guys from AA or AAA and see what they do? A change of scenery doesn't automatically mean success, look at Milone. Bottom line is...its another guy Counsell knows and is comfortable with.

blazek, peralta, milone, feliz, espino, marinez, drake, barnes, torres, scahill, hughes, knebel, suter, hader… lesser extent for webb, jungmann, wang, goforth, lopez

I would argue the 2017 Brewers have been the epitome of bringing guys in to offer them a chance to prove they have value as a bullpen arm.

Being built to give untalented guys opportunities isn't much of a plan if you ask me. I'm not saying it's easy, but I am saying that a bullpen that's not good now and held limited possibility to yield guys that would be good in the future is the worst of both worlds. You're neither rebuilding the bullpen nor having the option to turn present value into future value.

Archived