Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress Comes Home Again; Tayler Scott's home is now with the Rangers

I mean, Jeremy has NOT pitched well this year... he's given up 8 of his career 18 homers this season.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, Jeremy has NOT pitched well this year... he's given up 8 of his career 18 homers this season.

His stats have been a disaster across the board and last I checked his velocity was down. So yah not sure how this will fare.

I mean, im of the house of lets get down to a top 10 pick, so bring on some dingers YA KNOW? /sarcasm?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I'm assuming (if no other moves made today), that they will DFA Kirk when Jeffress is added, and then option WCW and recall Phillips (if the 10 day window has passed yet).

phillips won't be eligible for recall yet, but keon broxton will.

i'm predicting dfa-ing nieuwenhuis and carlos torres, and recalling broxton and activating jeffress.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's a lottery ticket. If he figures it out great, if not you've given up little if anything of value.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

His stats have been a disaster across the board and last I checked his velocity was down. So yah not sure how this will fare.

KRod 2.0? Didn't KRod pitch like crap everywhere but here?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

This is a low risk move, but we give up someone on AA and have to put the replacement on the MLB roster, unless they want to immediately put him through waivers are try to assign him to AAA. The Brewers haven't had many blowout games where they can throw someone who is throwing gas on a raging inferno until they hopefully figure things out.

This is a low risk move, but we give up someone on AA and have to put the replacement on the MLB roster, unless they want to immediately put him through waivers are try to assign him to AAA.

having been outrighted to the minor leagues before, jeffress would have the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

This is a low risk move, but we give up someone on AA and have to put the replacement on the MLB roster, unless they want to immediately put him through waivers are try to assign him to AAA.

having been outrighted to the minor leagues before, jeffress would have the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

Right - but considering his stats, what other team would take him? That might be a risk the team is willing to take, banking on the fact that Jeffress knows his best route back to MLB success is with the Brewers, even if that means toiling in milb until he regains form.

One concern about JJ

Avg FB

2014 - 96.8

2015 - 95.4

2016 - 95.1

2017 - 94.3

This is the concern. And remember the gun is recording at least an extra tick this season. (I think closer to two MPH.) So he's really probably down at least 2 mph from 2016.

It is a lottery ticket as others are suggesting but I’m low key very excited about this. Jeffress has more or less proven that the struggles he faces are mental/psychological and for obvious reasons Milwaukee is a safe place for him.

It was merely 12 months ago that he was an top end reliever. I see the avg velocity on the decline the last few years … but I can’t believe half of his struggles are not mental.

What a great story if he can solidify the bullpen again.

As good as last year's Rangers trade looks from the Brewers standpoint now, it looks even worse from the Rangers perspective: Brinson, Ortiz, and Cordell for Taylor Scott and PTBNL... Oof.

More accurate way to look at it since they were useful last year.

Brinson, Ortiz, and Cordell for .5 year of Lucroy, 14 innings of Jeffress, Taylor Scott, and PTBNL.

Brewers grasping at straws now...I guess if he pitches to a 5 era, he will fit right in. Typical Stearns pitching move, looking for a diamond but ends up being a lump of coal.

he hasn't even thrown a pitch yet for Milwaukee. please save your negativity for a week from now

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewers grasping at straws now...I guess if he pitches to a 5 era, he will fit right in. Typical Stearns pitching move, looking for a diamond but ends up being a lump of coal.

he hasn't even thrown a pitch yet for Milwaukee. please save your negativity for a week from now

Actually we don't know yet f he's going to be in Milwaukee or AAA.

How many millions have been spent on relievers only to be released or hurt and still get paid? It really is comical. Could of paid a top tier reliever for all they spent.

Cause we totally knew we were going to win games and rebuilding teams totally spend big money on relievers and expensive relievers aren't risky or anything.

How many millions have been spent on relievers only to be released or hurt and still get paid? It really is comical. Could of paid a top tier reliever for all they spent.

Who are all of these relievers you reference? I get Feliz, but he wasn't an exorbitant cost. And who is this top tier reliever Stearns could have gotten?

A couple of thoughts come to mind. The Lucroy trade from Brewers to Rangers is a stark reminder of why, IMO, it is foolish to trade top prospects for .5 - 2 years of a "star." I am just not a fan of the July trade unless you are really missing just 1 piece. The Brewers are missing more than 1 piece and can't fix it in July.

As for Jeffress - I remember Doug Melvin saying relievers are often times good 1 year, bad the next and then good the year after that. Here's to hoping that is Jeffress.

Archived