Brewer Fanatic

Second Wild Card

Jopal78

I think it's been said a few times before but we should probably ignore the Cubs for now. I think it's highly unlikely we catch them at this point. We should focus on the wild card spots and hopefully set it up so that Davies is throwing against the Dbacks.

Hard to ignore the Cubswhen the Brewers still have 7 games left against them.

Yes. How can we possibly start writing off the division when you actually hold your fate in your own hands? I get it, the Cubs "dynasty" looks good again because they've rattled off some wins against inferior opponents. But come on people, there is still a punchers chance that the Crew rattle off 5 of 7 from the Cubs and make this thing real interesting. I mean hey, they aren't gods Cardinals.

We don't hold our fate in our own hands. Even if we swept the Cubs 7-0 (I peg that at about .00001% chance of happening), that doesn't mean we win the division. Cubs are up 4 in the loss column right now.

Anyways, my main point about not worrying about the Cubs is because I read lots of posts here upset and frustrated that the Cubs keep winning against bad teams. They are winning again today. Maybe they've figured it out. I believe they have the 2nd best record in MLB since the all-star game break at 30-15. 2nd only to the Dodgers.

Frankly, I'd rather get the WC spot and face the Dodgers in a 5 game series, rather than a 7 game series. They have the clear advantage in depth of pitching. But in a short series, anything is possible. If we can somehow knock them off, we face the Nats/Cubs in a 7 game series and let's see what happens.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes the Brewers technically hold their fate in their own hands and most certainly do if they go 7-0 vs the Cubs.

The Cardinals technically hold their division fate in their own hands, too. That doesn't mean it is realistically going to happen.

Us winning the division is more realistic at this point than that, I'm just pointing out that just because a team might control its own destiny for something does not always coincide with that thing being something realistic. I mean come on, we're not going 7-0 against the Cubs. I could see 5-2 if we get hot and they get cold but even that is way less realistic than catching the Rockies, that's his point.

I wasn't even focusing on the Cubs. I just mentioned it was a three team race while also including the Cubs in it because if we won the division good chance the Cubs would be right in it for the wild card.

We shouldn't focus on anything honestly. We should hope to win games and look at the standings evenly. The division is very alive as is our wild card chances. It changes weekly. At one point it was division or bust.

Mostly I just happen to think the Cubs are a lot better team than the Rockies.

Kind of crazy that we've lost 9 1/2 games on the Cubs since the AS break, but only 1/2 game on the Rockies.

I know we like to downplay the Cubs as Brewer fans, but they're good. They didn't win a World Series and triple digit games by being okay.

Obviously I'd love to win the division, but as the lead continues to climb (up to 4 today right now), I just think, ok, things keep heading in the wrong direction even as we win. It's probably just not happening this year yet.

A shot at L.A. would be awesome. Of course we'd need to win a game in Arizona first.

Mostly I just happen to think the Cubs are a lot better team than the Rockies.

Kind of crazy that we've lost 9 1/2 games on the Cubs since the AS break, but only 1/2 game on the Rockies.

I know we like to downplay the Cubs as Brewer fans, but they're good. They didn't win a World Series and triple digit games by being okay.

Obviously I'd love to win the division, but as the lead continues to climb (up to 4 today right now), I just think, ok, things keep heading in the wrong direction even as we win. It's probably just not happening this year yet.

A shot at L.A. would be awesome. Of course we'd need to win a game in Arizona first.

Yup would be nice if we're able to separate from the Rockies by the end of the season so that we have Davies going against Zona. No matter who they've got going in that game, I'd like our chances with the way Davies is going right now.

At this point, how would you set up a 1-game playoff lineup against Zack Greinke?

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF

2. Neil Walker 2B

3. Ryan Braun LF

4. Travis Shaw 3B

5. Domingo Santana RF

6. Eric Thames 1B

7. Manny Pina C

8. Orlando Arcia SS

9. Jimmy Nelson P

I know Villar in CF could create some problems defensively, so the other option for me would be to move Villar to 2B, Walker to 1B, and put Keon in CF batting 7th behind Pina.

At this point, how would you set up a 1-game playoff lineup against Zack Greinke?

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF

2. Neil Walker 2B

3. Ryan Braun LF

4. Travis Shaw 3B

5. Domingo Santana RF

6. Eric Thames 1B

7. Manny Pina C

8. Orlando Arcia SS

9. Jimmy Nelson P

I know Villar in CF could create some problems defensively, so the other option for me would be to move Villar to 2B, Walker to 1B, and put Keon in CF batting 7th behind Pina.

I am not sure on Thames splits vs righties the last month, but his overall is a .691 OPS in august. If he keeps that up for another month I would assume he wouldn't be starting. Although things can change over ~ 4 weeks of baseball. I really think Aguilar should get the bulk of the AB's over the next month. If not him for the 1 game play-in, then yes, Walker should be at 1B. I guess my preference would be:

Option 1: Aguilar at 1B, Walker 2B, Villar at CF

Option 2: Walker at 1B, Sogard at 2B, Villar at CF

Option 3: Walker at 1B, Villar at 2B, Phillips at CF

I'd probably go:

1. Jonathan Villar CF

2. Neil Walker 2B

3. Ryan Braun LF

4. Travis Shaw 3B

5. Domingo Santana RF

6. Eric Thames 1B

7. Manny Pina C

8. Orlando Arcia SS

9. Jimmy Nelson P

I'd prefer to have Davies going so we can use Nelson twice in the series against the Dodgers.

I mean at this point we just need to focus on getting there. If they have a chance to get in, it's pretty likely it'll come down to the last couple days of the season. If you need to win Game 162 to force a tiebreaker just to have a shot at playing a WC, you do whatever you need to do in Game 162 to make that happen, even if it means pitching Nelson out of the pen on short rest and worrying about tomorrow tomorrow. If they wind up absolutely needing to win their last 2 games of the reason to even tie, they won't have the luxury necessarily of lining things up the way they want to.

Between Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Woodruff, 1 game is pretty much a crapshoot anyway between those 4 as to which one will be your best bet on that night.

I mean at this point we just need to focus on getting there. If they have a chance to get in, it's pretty likely it'll come down to the last couple days of the season. If you need to win Game 162 to force a tiebreaker just to have a shot at playing a WC, you do whatever you need to do in Game 162 to make that happen, even if it means pitching Nelson out of the pen on short rest and worrying about tomorrow tomorrow. If they wind up absolutely needing to win their last 2 games of the reason to even tie, they won't have the luxury necessarily of lining things up the way they want to.

Between Nelson, Anderson, Davies and Woodruff, 1 game is pretty much a crapshoot anyway between those 4 as to which one will be your best bet on that night.

That's pretty much nightmare scenario though. If we have to use Davies/Nelson in Game 162, and then using the other in the 1 game playoff. And then using someone else for G1 in a series against the Dodgers. That would be very, very bad for us.

I'm not even sure a team that gets swept at this point in the season by Cincy deserves a spot in the playoffs. But that is probably just my disgust talking.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers need to win 2 of 3 down the stretch to have a shot at getting in. The Rockies have an incredibly tough stretch coming up(4 in LA, 4 in AZ), so if we can pull 2 from the cubs and 2 from the pirates...we probably catch them within a week. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 NL Central teams get in at this point.

If it is the Cardinals, I'll puke. Please let it be the Brewers but if not them, let the Rockies in. I can't stomach seeing the Cardinals even have the satisfaction of a 1-game playoff. Screw that franchise.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We're now looking up at St Louis, who many a few days ago thought we had no need to be concerned with.

Only silver lining about today is the Rockies lost.

Card fans felt the same way, but got the benefit of playing some really bad teams and some hot rookies filling in for under-performing vets. I still think the Cubs win the Central, but the Colorado swoon has the WC door wide open for both of us.

We both have a tough schedule coming up (all Central teams and the Cards are by far the worst in- division team) but there does appear to be a chink in the Cubs armor of late. We have a combined 14 games vs. the Cubs. It's conceivable that one or both of us catch 'em.

Maybe the last 2 game series of the season with you will be HUGE.

Just gotta take it series by series. Win 2 of 3 this weekend and go from there.

As much as I expected the whole time not to make the playoffs, I'd have still been a bit disappointed but if the Cards swoop in and steal the spot I'll really be mad. I'm sure they'll beat AZ too in the WC gard somehow too

I know it looks like the cardinals have gotten hot...or something. They've won 5 of 6 against the giants and padres. 2 of the worst teams in baseball right now. I'm sure they'll come back down to earth when they start playing NL Central teams.

The NL Central doesn't have any really bad teams right now...even cincy has a really strong lineup and improving pitching. They are playing much better than their record right now...not just against us. They are 19-16 since August 1st, and have been getting better and better...they'll be a tough test for all 3 divisional contenders down the stretch.

The 4-game sweep against the Twins and the 3-game sweep against the Reds are just so hard to over come. If they happen to get in the playoffs with that on their resume over the course of the last two months of the season, they will have definitely earned it.

As much as I expected the whole time not to make the playoffs, I'd have still been a bit disappointed but if the Cards swoop in and steal the spot I'll really be mad. I'm sure they'll beat AZ too in the WC gard somehow too

AZ is on freaking fire. They pounded the mighty Dodgers into the dirt. Good thing is: there's still plenty of time for them to cool off before October.

AZ is on freaking fire. They pounded the mighty Dodgers into the dirt. Good thing is: there's still plenty of time for them to cool off before October.

Yea just mostly my bitterness to how STL always somehow pulls it out and finds away. They'll probably win the WS

Archived