Brewer Fanatic

Who is still out there and useful to the Brewers

Jay Bruce has cleared waivers. Not a need but a rotation of Braun, Santana and Bruce in the corners? He's always enjoyed Miller Park.

If only we had a LH bat who could play both 2B and LF we'd be set! Hopefully one that only makes $2M a year or so. A 900 OPS guy would be just what this offensive starved team could use now.

Oh wait.....

Jay Bruce has cleared waivers. Not a need but a rotation of Braun, Santana and Bruce in the corners? He's always enjoyed Miller Park.

If only we had a LH bat who could play both 2B and LF we'd be set! Hopefully one that only makes $2M a year or so. A 900 OPS guy would be just what this offensive starved team could use now.

Oh wait.....

Jesus. Are you still banging this drum? The guy has had a fluky season. And he's been his old terrible self recently. .253/.282/.400 since the break.

What about Neil Walker to fill what's turned into a black hole at 2B? A little younger than Ian Kinzler, and probably wouldn't cost much.

Between Neil Walker, Ian Kinsler, and Brandon Phillips, I do prefer Walker and I think he makes the most sense. But then again that also requires dealing with the Mets. But Walker has cleared waivers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What about Neil Walker to fill what's turned into a black hole at 2B? A little younger than Ian Kinzler, and probably wouldn't cost much.

Between Neil Walker, Ian Kinsler, and Brandon Phillips, I do prefer Walker and I think he makes the most sense. But then again that also requires dealing with the Mets. But Walker has cleared waivers.

The sour grapes with the Mets was a Doug Melvin thing. I know Melvin is still involved as an advisor, but I can't imagine he's going to let his ego get in the way of letting Sterns improve the line-up. Plus, that non-deal was a blessing. Weaver is still an injury-prone "what could be" and Wilmer Flores is basically a rich man's Hernan Perez. That deal would have meant no Santana/Hader/Phillips and a rehabbing Adrian Houser (who I'm still really high on).

If they had one move to make, the guy I'd get is Dennard Span. He's got an OPS of .802 vs. RHP. He also has a funky backloaded contract which if they took it on would mean the return in talent would be minimal. He's cooled off since a hot June, but he's not the type of guy that strikes out much even when the hits aren't falling in. They could still use Broxton vs. LHP and as late inning defensive replacement and on days where Braun rests and Span slides over to LF. Span would make an ideal 4th OF, albeit an expensive one, for 2018 as well. But I still like the idea of Bruce. Somehow I'm still not totally sold that Santana won't crater at some point and he's been slumping over the past week. Plus Braun's power outage has me concerned too. Mix in a thumper like Bruce to the mix and they could all take off.

Adding a bat will hurt the morale of the team. Remember back when everyone was clamoring for a SP like Quintana or Gray? Well, they didn't pull the trigger and the Brewers SP have responded, and have been lights out. Seems like that vote of confidence did wonders. Now everyone wants a bat. Well, maybe if Stearns tells the team he trusts in his guys, they will respond also.

The offense just shouldn't be this bad. They have plus hitters at 6/8 of positions right now, maybe you could call 1B just average but it's not like it's a black hole or something. Sooner or later it's going to start clicking again and the RISP can't continue

Oh wait.....

Players with an OPS like that for $2mil/yr don't grow on trees! :laughing Players like that are what Stearns is hoping they can develop with the farm system

Adding a bat will hurt the morale of the team.

I'm sorry, what did I just read?

Come on guys, let's get our stories straight. I thought that by not adding a significant piece at the deadline, we had destroyed the psyche of our team and jump started the post-ASG decline on offense. Now you're telling me that it had the opposite effect on the pitching staff?

Gruber Lawffices

Adding a bat will hurt the morale of the team.

I'm sorry, what did I just read?

Come on guys, let's get our stories straight. I thought that by not adding a significant piece at the deadline, we had destroyed the psyche of our team and jump started the post-ASG decline on offense. Now you're telling me that it had the opposite effect on the pitching staff?

That's my point ; ) Probably should have been in blue. As you said, someone thought it would really shatter their psyche not to add a starting pitcher.

Archived