Brewer Fanatic

Who is still out there and useful to the Brewers

Obviously there is Sonny Gray, and endless debate about the cost, but hard to argue he wouldn't fit a need with a rotation influx with ineffectiveness and injuries.

I could see the Brewers making a trade with the Blue Jays for Joe Smith and Marco Estrada. It wouldn't cost them much in terms of minor leaguers and both players would shore up their respective positions somewhat.

The Twins are selling, and Ervin Santana is a proven durable commodity for the rotation. His salary for 2018 isn't too hefty but there is a risk his performance could fall off at age 35. Likely wouldn't require top tier talent to acquire.

Brad Hand from the Padres would be a great addition, Milwaukee's GM likely wouldn't part with the talent it would take to make a trade.

I think Kinsler and Granderson are both possible if the Brewers are willing to take on their salaries.

Personally, I'm not interested in anyone who doesn't have at least 2 more years of control left. I *might* be swayed on Kinsler and his $10M option for next year because 2B is a black hole offensively right now.

It's possible that the Tigers just decline that option and he's available for less next year. Or that he's available for less in a trade in the winter.

We are rebuilding. That means Dubon at 2B next year, not Kinsler. Brinson and Phillips in the OF, not Granderson.

I think (hope) Stearns is focused on building a team that can consistently win 95 games, rather than making moves like that to go from an 80 win team to an 82 win team.

Personally, I'm not interested in anyone who doesn't have at least 2 more years of control left. I *might* be swayed on Kinsler and his $10M option for next year because 2B is a black hole offensively right now.

It's possible that the Tigers just decline that option and he's available for less next year. Or that he's available for less in a trade in the winter.

Highly unlikely they do that. Actually there is no chance they do that. Ian Kinsler's option is actually $12mil, but $5mil is already sunk cost in the $5mil buyout so picking it up is only an additional $7mil. They would pick it up just to trade him worst case. Ian Kinsler isn't having a great year, but still providing near average offense with good defense.

Highly unlikely they do that. Actually there is no chance they do that. Ian Kinsler's option is actually $12mil, but $5mil is already sunk cost in the $5mil buyout so picking it up is only an additional $7mil. They would pick it up just to trade him worst case. Ian Kinsler isn't having a great year, but still providing near average offense with good defense.

Yeah, hadn't looked into the numbers. They won't dump him then but I'd still rather not try to acquire him unless it was basically a salary dump + low ceiling prospect.

At this point unless Oakland brings down the cost for Sonny or the Brewers are having very discreet discussions with another club for another cost controlled starter who could help us both now and in the future I think we stand pat until the off-season. I do think that under most scenarios Brinson is (and should be) off the table and bat the market will have more options this winter than it does right now.

I think it's going to be a quiet next few hours for the Brewers. Maybe they make a play for Kinsler or Straily. It sounds like the Marlins want a load for an average pitcher and the Kinsler thing seems to have cooled. Sometimes the best move is none at all. That might be the case this time around.

At this point DS stuck to his plan And now we are going to see if it works out for him and the brewers. I hope the keep Woodruff in the rotation at this point but it will be hard to do with Anderson and Garza coming back. I would hope they call up Dubon on sept 1and play him at 2nd. I would not mind seeing a Phillips and Brinson Cf platoon

We are rebuilding. That means Dubon at 2B next year, not Kinsler. Brinson and Phillips in the OF, not Granderson.

I think (hope) Stearns is focused on building a team that can consistently win 95 games, rather than making moves like that to go from an 80 win team to an 82 win team.

Small markets don't win 95 games consistently. The best one is KC who had a great 2 year window surrounded by borderline playoff teams. I'd rather have DS say we are building for a championship run of a few years.

We are rebuilding. That means Dubon at 2B next year, not Kinsler.

Dubon will have about 70 games at AAA starting next year and so far his hitting is nothing special for the park/league. I guess the same could be said for Arcia last year but Dubon is no where near the prospect Orlando is/was.

We are rebuilding. That means Dubon at 2B next year, not Kinsler.

Dubon will have about 70 games at AAA starting next year and so far his hitting is nothing special for the park/league. I guess the same could be said for Arcia last year but Dubon is no where near the prospect Orlando is/was.

Doesn't matter. He is ready defensively, and his OBP could very well be as good or better than Arcia. Power is lacking, but that's ok. Ultimately, he's probably UT, and a very good one. But 2B is open next year, I rather see Dubon every day than give Villar another year to find himself, or some stop-gap veteran.

I'd still go after a lefty hitting OF that can play all 3 positions and is under contract for another year. They are 5 back in the Wild card with no team in between. Adding a vet like Span who's contract is hefty won't cost much in return but could be the difference for this offense. That's worth the money.

I'd still go after a lefty hitting OF that can play all 3 positions and is under contract for another year. They are 5 back in the Wild card with no team in between. Adding a vet like Span who's contract is hefty won't cost much in return but could be the difference for this offense. That's worth the money.

Agreed wholeheartedly! A new version of Tony Plush could make a profound difference.

What about Neil Walker to fill what's turned into a black hole at 2B? A little younger than Ian Kinzler, and probably wouldn't cost much.

He's another rental, so it would need to be basically a straight salary dump with nothing significant going back.

Jay Bruce has cleared waivers. Not a need but a rotation of Braun, Santana and Bruce in the corners? He's always enjoyed Miller Park.

I like that better than Granderson.

I'll take Granderson. Over the past 3 months:

Jay Bruce: 298 AB, 14 2B, 20 HR, 26 BB, 82 K, .252/.312/.500/.812 (90 RF, 10 1B, 2 DH)

Curtis Granderson: 211 AB, 17 2B, 13 HR, 42 BB, 54 K, .270/.393/.555/.947 (59 CF, 22 RF, 7 LF, 2 DH)

Granderson started off 2017 slow and Bruce started off hot, but since May 3rd, Granderson's been a better hitter. Throw in his ability to play center and I think he's just a better fit if we're going to add an outfielder to the team.

Archived