Brewer Fanatic

Guerra's spot in rotation

benji
Harder threw 53 last night and looked great probably couldn't go more than 75 at most if he were to start on his next start. Woodruff threw 69 pitches in 5ip of shutout ball in Vegas. One of these two get the start? Personally I feel Guerra needs to work out his issues not on the MLB roster during a pennant race. I feel like he is not giving the team a very good chance to win.

taylor jungmann threw 6.0 innings and surrendered two runs in colorado springs on 26 july. he could easily be well-rested by guerra's next turn in the rotation and has the benefit of major league experience . . . plus, he'll be out of options in 2018. the club needs to see what they have in him.

Ah, was at the game last night. I did not hear that. If Hader is a starter in 2018 wonder how many innings he will be allowed to throw?

I would guess 150 innings would be about right. He has thrown 125 before, but I don't know if only throwing 100 innings(probably even less) this year effects that.

As someone mentioned in another thread if we have playoffs in mind you probably start him in the bullpen next year so you have him pitch out of the rotation the end of the year and not the start. Though I have to question that actually happening because I can't recall it ever being done. If that was the case why don't tommy john surgery guys do that?

Pretty sure on the broadcast last night David Stearns said they aren't not moving Josh Hader out of the bullpen this year. They are happy with the results there and they don't want to screw that up.

If stearns used a double negative, "...aren't not moving...", then maybe he is going to the rotation.

Pretty sure on the broadcast last night David Stearns said they aren't not moving Josh Hader out of the bullpen this year. They are happy with the results there and they don't want to screw that up.

If stearns used a double negative, "...aren't not moving...", then maybe he is going to the rotation.

Sorry not a direct quote. Haha

don't have to worry about it for a while with monday's off day, assuming matt garza is able to return from the disabled list and pitch wednesday.

today: zach davies

tuesday: jimmy nelson

wednesday: matt garza

thursday: brent suter on five days' rest

friday: davies on four days' rest

in case garza can't be activated? taylor jungmann can be recalled at any point. brandon woodruff could be recalled wednesday, having just met the 10-day minimum stay required in the rotation. paolo espino stays as a long reliever through at least tuesday, giving josh hader some much-needed rest.

Jungmann is Skysox scheduled starter tonight. Knowing how the Brewers operate and don't mind having throw-away games, it'll be Garza or Espino. I'm still holding out hope it's Hader, who by the way doesn't need "some much needed rest" after 53 pitches. Geesh. He should be ready to go tomorrow out of the pen.

Jungmann is Skysox scheduled starter tonight. Knowing how the Brewers operate and don't mind having throw-away games, it'll be Garza or Espino. I'm still holding out hope it's Hader, who by the way doesn't need "some much needed rest" after 53 pitches. Geesh. He should be ready to go tomorrow out of the pen.

Why is pitching Garza making it a throw-away game? Espino I would agree but I saw somewhere on the boards that Garza has been something like the 26th most effective starter in MLB this year. I'd be very happy with him coming off the DL and starting the Wednesday or Thursday game. If not, then I will hope for Hader, Woodruff or similar high-upside starter.

Everyone does realize that Hader threw essentially one pitch in his 53 pitch outing last time out, doesn't have starter command with his arsenal, and if he'd be in the rotation it'd make our already terrible bullpen 100X worse in a blink of an eye. Moving him to start makes our weakest point far worse. Then what?

if i'm david stearns, this is what i'd do:

recall keon broxton for tuesday's game. when it's time to activate jeremy jeffress, designate carlos torres for assignment.

activate matt garza on wednesday. option lewis brinson, keeping paolo espino available as the long man in case garza falters.

recall taylor jungmann or brandon woodruff on saturday (i'd be inclined towards jungmann). option espino.

option jungmann after the game saturday and recall brett phillips for sunday (the earliest he's available for recall) to take advantage of the dh for ryan braun the next three games.

option phillips or broxton when the turn taken by jungmann comes up again, and recall brandon woodruff.

if i'm david stearns, this is what i'd do:

recall keon broxton for tuesday's game. when it's time to activate jeremy jeffress, designate carlos torres for assignment.

activate matt garza on wednesday. option lewis brinson, keeping paolo espino available as the long man in case garza falters.

recall taylor jungmann or brandon woodruff on saturday (i'd be inclined towards jungmann). option espino.

option jungmann after the game saturday and recall brett phillips for sunday (the earliest he's available for recall) to take advantage of the dh for ryan braun the next three games.

option phillips or broxton when the turn taken by jungmann comes up again, and recall brandon woodruff.

At some point the musical chairs has to stop at the CF position. It's can't help looking over your shoulder if you don't get a hit in a two game stretch. And I wouldn't be sad if Espino doesn't see Milwaukee again.

At some point the musical chairs has to stop at the CF position. (It) can't help looking over your shoulder if you don't get a hit in a two game stretch. And I wouldn't be sad if Espino doesn't see Milwaukee again.

the reasoning is to work with the required 10-day minimum stay--lest you have to call up the likes of kirk nieuwenhuis again. broxton meets it today (plus, if he spends less than 20 days optioned, he doesn't burn his final option). phillips will meet his 10-day minimum stay next weekend. since both brinson and phillips have already burned their 2017 options, the musical chairs should continue throughout august--especially if you can keep broxton optioned for less than 20 days. come september, all three outfielders can be up.

espino could very well be sent out wednesday for garza instead of brinson--it would give the club an extra bat against st. louis and greater flexibility with the dh on friday. the club could then option brinson after friday's game and recall a pitcher for just one game, recalling phillips after optioning saturday's starter.

It would be nice to break him in now. He pitched 157 innings last year and is only at 74 this year so they probably don't even have to watch his innings. Get him enough innings this year and he may not have restrictions next year.

ESPN has woodruff starting on Thursday

He should be and it was the most logical selection given he was on the same rotation schedule as Guerra. 70 pitches last outing means he should be able to get up to 90 this time out so he can hopefully roll through 6 innings. Nelson, Garza, Davies, Suter, Woodruff and when Chase gets back you figure out where he fits in but at least Woodruff gets some MLB experience with 3-4 starts at minimum.

Not sure if there's anything to it but I just came from the Sky Sox / 51s game and never saw Woodruff or Broxton. I was there well before the game and neither was out on the field at any point before or during the game while I was there.

broxton makes sense as outlined above.

jungmann threw 85 pitches monday night's game (54 for strikes), and could still pitch saturday on four days' rest. woodruff could be on hand not to be activated right away, but waiting in the wings in case garza isn't ready and they need to activate him wednesday. plus, he arrives in milwaukee early to help recover from any possible jet lag from las vegas.

puzzled as to why davies isn't pitching friday on four days' rest, keeping the saturday slot in line with taylor jungmann. if woodruff completely falters, jungmann can step in five days later. i know that woodruff hasn't pitched since saturday to jungmann's monday, but still . . .

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
puzzled as to why davies isn't pitching friday on four days' rest, keeping the saturday slot in line with taylor jungmann. if woodruff completely falters, jungmann can step in five days later. i know that woodruff hasn't pitched since saturday to jungmann's monday, but still . . .

I would guess that's because it was always the plan for Woodruff to start Friday. If he doesn't take that turn, I'll be very surprised. I think you'll see Brinson down for Woodruff following today's game. I just don't think they are real high on Jungmann right now for whatever reason. It's too bad because he's been very good in Colorado Springs. Complete turnaround from last year.

Woodruff is head and shoulders better than Jungmann, is 3yrs younger, MLB ready and part of the future. If Guerra's spot is sitting open until Chase gets back then it should only be Woodruff getting those starts. None of this toying around stuff if he doesn't dominate his first start. No point in even having him out there if you don't give him the opportunity to learn and grow from his first career MLB start, which is surely to provide plenty of anxiousness and butterflies.

Archived