Brewer Fanatic

Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Hernan Perez seems to be mostly taking over at 2B and is nearly a wash with Brandon Phillips. You'd be paying $4-5 million to get a guy that strikes out a little bit less.

Broxton has been just as hot as Granderson of late and they have similar. A platoon may be the best of worlds but you're paying $5 million for a platoon upgrade on a guy that is a bad defender in CF which is probably where they'd play him.

I've actually expressed interest in overpaying for upgrades in 2018 and '19 given the rest of payroll is so low, but that's $10 million for 2 guys that may not even be upgrades on a team that seems to be not very good.

I hope that Mark is willing to overpay a bit for stuff over the next 2 years but at this point in the season I'm fine if he doesn't want to dump $10 million into upgrades that we aren't even sure are upgrades on a team that currently has an 8% chance at the playoffs per TeamRankings.

There is a chance you add those guys and nothing changes. But you just never know the trickle down effect of those two players added in August. You add two guys that are professionals to say the least and maybe, just maybe, the rest of the team starts clicking again as well. $5-10 million is no chump change but when your payroll is $60+ million and you've had good attendance numbers during this season, I think MA could justify doing this to see if this would spark this team and get them hot again. As I'm typing this, I'm sure Broxton and Villar will catch fire and all will be golden, but chances are, they won't. Gotta try when the opportunities are there and I feel as though this was an opportunity to make the playoffs.

Yeah, those pros pro professional [insert more cliches] ball players have really provided a trickle down spark to the Braves and Mets, respectively, this season.

There is a post that they are actually trying to add and if they traded for Phillips or Kinsler tomorrow I'd be fine with it given that it is Mark's money and not mine...but I cannot fathom getting worked up about this and actually thinking that these moves will do anything.

Here is one headline for the Yankees yesterday: Garrett Cooper, Todd Frazier Lead Yankees Over Blue Jays

Now I know that neither of those two players began their years in pinstripes. Cliches or not, sometimes change does occur and things get better.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is one headline for the Yankees yesterday: Garrett Cooper, Todd Frazier Lead Yankees Over Blue Jays

Now I know that neither of those two players began their years in pinstripes. Cliches or not, sometimes change does occur and things get better.

Swarzak pitches clean 8th to lead Brewers to victory

I'm not going to go much further down this insane rabbit hole...all I will say is that Garrett Cooper was actively placed in AAA by the Yankees until about 5 injuries occurred.

Swarzak pitches clean 8th to lead Brewers to victory

I'm not going to go much further down this insane rabbit hole...all I will say is that Garrett Cooper was actively placed in AAA by the Yankees until about 5 injuries occurred.

So you proved my point that adding players can lead to winning baseball games. I agree with you. Let's go make some deals!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Walker fits but why go halfway? Granderson cleared waivers. Go get him. Give yourself a chance on this make or break west coast trip that's coming up.

At this point we can just hope that Phillips would get the call up and continue with the hot bat. Granderson isn't coming.

it going to be hard to bring up someone up with the Sky Soxs in a race.

Won't affect a thing. Means nothing compared to the major team.

• 2 weeks later...

Who? They made their move for a bat by acquiring Walker. Brinson is out. Phillips will be up in a few days, maybe with some reinforcements.

Beyond that , there isn't much they can do at this point. They will sink or swim with the guys that got them here.

I like the Walker move. I'd be inclined to see if we can get him to extend for two years.

The CBA only allows a team to reduce a player's salary by a maximum of 10% year over year, so the minimum the Brewers could pay Walker on an extension is $15.5M next year, $14M the year after.

They will have to release him in order to bring him back on a reasonable salary.

I like the Walker move. I'd be inclined to see if we can get him to extend for two years.

The CBA only allows a team to reduce a player's salary by a maximum of 10% year over year, so the minimum the Brewers could pay Walker on an extension is $15.5M next year, $14M the year after.

They will have to release him in order to bring him back on a reasonable salary.

That doesn't seem right. I've heard of such a rule for arbitration but it makes no sense for free agency. Matt Cain has a $20M contract for 2017 and will be a FA after the season, are you claiming no team could offer him less than $18M next year? He won't find a job if that's the case.

I've heard this claim in the past and it makes no sense to me for that very reason, there will be guys every year coming off massive contracts who can't find work because they're no longer worth a fraction of their former selves in free agency.

That's an arbitration rule, I believe, and pertains only to the player's current team in a continuing-employment context. If a guy files for free agency, the next contract is whatever the FA negotiates and with whatever team he negotiates.

Yes, it's only with the player's current team that they can only reduce salary by 10% per year. Otherwise you'd have teams trying to skirt the luxury tax threshold by paying a player $40M one year and $1M the next, and that screws up QOs, arbitration, and many other things.

Since Walker was traded mid-season in the last year of his deal the Brewers cannot make him a QO. Not sure how that affects the negotiation window or if it makes him an automatic free agent, but IIRC there is a rule that if a player does not resign with his current team by a certain date they cannot resign him until well into the next spring, maybe not until after the season starts.

The Brewers might have to release Walker before the end of the season in order to bring him back at less than $15M for next year.

Yes, it's only with the player's current team that they can only reduce salary by 10% per year. Otherwise you'd have teams trying to skirt the luxury tax threshold by paying a player $40M one year and $1M the next, and that screws up QOs, arbitration, and many other things.

Since Walker was traded mid-season in the last year of his deal the Brewers cannot make him a QO. Not sure how that affects the negotiation window or if it makes him an automatic free agent, but IIRC there is a rule that if a player does not resign with his current team by a certain date they cannot resign him until well into the next spring, maybe not until after the season starts.

The Brewers might have to release Walker before the end of the season in order to bring him back at less than $15M for next year.

That rule is changed as well. Players can resign with their old team whenever they want.

Archived