Brewer Fanatic

Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they want to go ahead and add Kinsler for this year and next, if we're not giving up much, I'm on board.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel on Villar and Sogard is still a mediocre MLB journeyman on his last fumes of getting starts off an unsustainable month in May.

If they want to go ahead and add Kinsler for this year and next, if we're not giving up much, I'm on board.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel on Villar and Sogard is still a mediocre MLB journeyman on his last fumes of getting starts off an unsustainable month in May.

Exactly...was just coming here to post that I think Kinsler would help this LU immensely right now..That and getting Vogt back.

Brewers are above average in OPS at every position except these three:

2B - 24th (.244/.313/.365/.678)

LF - 16th (.234/.316/.436/.752)

CF - 22nd (.218/.299/.423/.721)

Kinsler might not be a huge upgrade with the bat (.244/.327/.391/.718) but combine the offensive upgrade with his superior middle infield defense and I think the overall impact could be pretty big. Left field numbers are obviously depressed with Braun's injury problems. But it wouldn't be a crazy idea for Stearns to trade for another centerfielder that can post a decent OBP because that has been a real weakness for the offense and who knows if Brinson/Phillips will be a short-term fix for that? I'm not a fan of Curtis Granderson at this point but he does have a .331 OBP so it's not all that surprising that Stearns was looking at him (at least the rumors said so). The problem with Granderson is that the defensive numbers have really slipped this year (-5 DRS, -10.7 UZR/150).

I was pretty much against Kinsler until I saw those numbers for 2B above. And I'm assuming those include the 2.000+ OPS Sogard had for a couple weeks. Villar is beyond lost and Sogard is back to who is really is. Getting Ian would be like if we would have replaced Yuni with Tulo.

That being said, the bullpen is still trash and the ultimate anchor weighing this team down.

I like Kinsler as well, really good player despite his age. Under contract through 2018, which should allow us to phase in Dubon next year without rushing him, and have Diaz and Hiura not far off by then.

If they can get a package deal on Wilson/Kinsler i've really started to warm to the idea. The bullpen for the most part was fantastic yesterday despite ANOTHER Guerra disaster, if we can get another solid guy in there and add a veteran bat at the same time let's play baseball into September.

If they can get a package deal on Wilson/Kinsler i've really started to warm to the idea. The bullpen for the most part was fantastic yesterday despite ANOTHER Guerra disaster, if we can get another solid guy in there and add a veteran bat at the same time let's play baseball into September.

You might want to look up the word disaster. While only getting three innings is rough, he threw them scoreless. It gave us a chance.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You might want to look up the word disaster. While only getting three innings is rough, he threw them scoreless. It gave us a chance.

I think you underestimate how lucky we were to be in that game. It could have easily been a other 10-15 run nationals game. The only way to describe Guerra getting out of that scoreless was he had a golden horseshoe up his behind.

Just throwing this out there

What have they scored - 57 runs since the break? A little over 3.5 per game?

It's even worse when you think that of those runs, 31 came in four games (3 wins and a loss). The average for the other 12 games is under 2.2...

I have to say that I've been hoping for a good controllable starter, or some relief help (like most others here), but it's kind of hard to argue with this.

Yes, the bullpen has often been poor and sometimes the starters haven't gone deep enough but you're not going to win too many games with that lack of run support. :(

I'm not expecting anything exciting by the trade deadline, so hopefully Brinson lives up to expectations and Braun stays healthy - that could make quite a difference...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

After seeing our CF of the future, I see why we were linked to Granderson.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

When Phillips can come back up you'll see a Brinson/Phillips platoon to put them in a better position to succeed and help with the transition to MLB.

Pressure is mounting on A's. If they don't deal Gray tomorrow and have to wait until the offseason he loses one playoff run worth of value. Either way, Gray's trade value decreases tomorrow.

Aaron Judge had an OPS+ of 60 last year. Trout had an 89 his first chunk of big league action. I guess their teams should have just given up on them

Aaron Judge had an OPS+ of 60 last year. Trout had an 89 his first chunk of big league action. I guess their teams should have just given up on them

We can still get Granderson for two months and still have a future with Brinson and Phillips. People need to calm the flip down when it comes to these prospects. They will get their time. It just doesn't look like Brinson's is right now.

They need a bat, maybe two. They need another arm in the pen. They really probably need another SP. Which is why they shouldn't get any of them.

I think the real problem is we don't have any idea what we need. Outside of bullpen help it is hard to know with so many career years going on. Which ones are legit and which are due for big regression? I don't know if we can come to the conclusion we need any bats due to a 2 week period where they have slumped.

I have no problem acquiring controllable pitching if the deal makes sense. Regarding the offense I'd just go with what we have now. Unfortunately it is hard to make trades with a team like this. We can make better decision this winter or next summer.

Yes it's been reaelly surpsising that it's the offense that has actually led to the downfall. I suppose it is the expected regression when you think about it. Thams back to reality, Sogard couldn't keep that going forever(Villar still not good), Broxton hit the massive cold spell and now rookie replacement. That's really it right there that is making them score one or two less runs than they need each game. Braun has been fine but hasn't hit one of those hot streaks we've seen so many times that could make up for this.

Still, I don't think there's much that can be done about it at this point. The upgrade spots are CF and 2B. But CF has our two best prospects coming so you're not going to do much there. 2B I suppose is an option to upgrade but at this point is it really worth using significant prospects? Sogard is still putting the ball in play, I'd just go with him and hope you get lucky that they start falling again. Hope for a rebound by Villar next year and if not you have several IF prospects in the works including your #1 pick this year who might be a fast riser out of the minor due to his bat.

Yea, that's why you stay the course. Brinson/Phillips should be playing a lot the rest of this season and next year. Next season, start off with Dubon at 2B. Add Woodruff to the rotation to start the year. Maybe Burnes or Ortiz later in the year.

Then it's just sit back and see which guys show they're part of the future, which are not, and who is still a question mark. They will definitely pony up some money and/or prospects for some help at some point, but hard to do that until you know what is really needed.

While sticking with Brinson has some merit, I still think adding a veteran OF bat that can play CF makes sense. Even if Brinson gets going ( and some recent signs are good) they still need protection in the corner spots. Granderson has reportedly cleared waivers. His presence as a late inning bench option is a huge upgrade over Villar and the version of Sogard we've seen the last month.

Go get Granderson and Phillips and see what happens the rest of the way.

(OBP/OPS)

L- Granderson- CF (.334/.790)

R- Santana- RF (.369/.848)

R- Braun- LF (.341/.850)

L- Shaw- 3B (.363/.919)

R- Phillips- 2B (.330/.756)

L- Thames-1B (.364/.889)

R- Pína- C (.338/.784)

R- Arcía- SS (.327/.744)

Bench: Bandy/Vogt, Villar(if not traded or Sogard), Broxton, Aguilar, Perez

Archived