Brewer Fanatic

2017-07-29: Cubs (Hendricks) at Brewers (Guerra) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-1, 11 innings]

hawing
The BULLPEN IS ON DS .

Bullpen threw 7 innings of scoreless ball tonight, and gave up a bomb on a good pitch.

Bullpen for the season is a different discussion but I have no idea why anyone is complaining about the pen tonight.

Scoring late is even more of a concern than the bullpen..... that's saying a lot.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully Coles can do something with these hitters.

I sure hope so, but this looks like a systemic problem with the franchise top to bottom.

Take a look at the BB:K ratios of the MLB roster and those of the top hitting prospects. It's not difficult to find 1:3 or worse. I know that's not an end-all, be-all stat to point to, but it's a bit troubling. It's a symptom that free swinging is the norm, and not only for the current MLB roster.

Yanking Torres after one batter in extra innings, along with pulling Guerra after three (luckily) shutout innings, leads me to believe that at least one of those two gets DFA'd tomorrow.

Edit: Guerra has an option, dollars to donuts he gets sent down. With an off-day on Monday they can work around his next start.

Jungmann? Wang? Wilkerson? Scahill, Part IV? Who's next?

The BULLPEN IS ON DS .

Wow this is just idiotic. There was no reason for DS to build a bullpen this year.

I keep seeing this. It's not idiotic that DS would build a good bullpen. Why wouldn't it be expected for him to do his job? Even if your team ends up not so good, you can move bullpen arms for a kings ransom if the market is right. These types of comments are a cop out for a guy that didn't do a great job finding competent BP arms.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The problem is we need more than one run to beat the Cubs.

This was a must-sweep series. We had to take the life out of them. 2 out of 3 doesn't do that.

2 of 3? Good luck. The pen is spent and they won't score. This was the game to get. CC knew that by the way it was managed. They will slip another game tomorrow.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's definitely not a game you can put on Counsell tonight, but I do have one question. Why is one of your best hitters, 24 year old Domingo Santana, getting a night off in such an absolutely critical series?

The BULLPEN IS ON DS .

Wow this is just idiotic. There was no reason for DS to build a bullpen this year.

And there's no reason to build one next year either because players in their late 20s having by far their best seasons ever seems like an anomaly.

This was a must-sweep series. We had to take the life out of them. 2 out of 3 doesn't do that.

No, but if the Crew wins tomorrow, they gain a game on the Cubs lead heading into this series..that works, ESPECIALLY since the Cubs have 9 of their next 12 against Washington and Arizona coming up. While everyone was going ga ga over the Cubs record since the AS break, no one notes that they played series against the Orioles, Atlanta the Cardinals and White Sox. Not exactly murderer's row..If The Brewers can come out with a win tomorrow, I really think the next 12 will give the Brewers a golden opportunity to regain the lead and build on it some again.

Yanking Torres after one batter in extra innings, along with pulling Guerra after three (luckily) shutout innings, leads me to believe that at least one of those two gets DFA'd tomorrow.

Edit: Guerra has an option, dollars to donuts he gets sent down. With an off-day on Monday they can work around his next start.

Jungmann? Wang? Wilkerson? Scahill, Part IV? Who's next?

Using Torres looked like trying to match up with Rizzo, who had something like a 1-for-12 record against Torres according to the stat thrown up on the broadcast.

Guerra being DL'ed or optioned makes sense. He just doesn't look right out there on the mound. Bringing up a reliever while working around the Guerra spot with the off day makes sense short term. That would give the management the ability to evaluate whether Woodruff is good to go with another AAA start in five days. They could bring him up for the next time Guerra's spot occurs, which I guess would be AUG 8. (EDIT: Of course, trading for a starting pitcher would likely render the Woodruff scenario moot.)

No, but if the Crew wins tomorrow, they gain a game on the Cubs lead heading into this series..that works, ESPECIALLY since the Cubs have 9 of their next 12 against Washington and Arizona coming up..

Then they have 23 straight against the Reds, Blue Jays, Phillies, Pirates and Braves. Meanwhile we have the Cardinals, Rays, Twins, Reds, Pirates, Rockies, Dodgers, Giants and Nationals. I'd say their schedule is much easier than ours until the two teams meet again.

Yeah, but the pen had already gone six innings... then you burn one of your remaining relievers on one batter? I think Counsell had seen enough from Torres, and that was the last straw.

Not saying it's going to happen, but I think there is a decent chance Torres gets DFA'd tomorrow.

Everything lines up for Woodruff, who pitched 5 shutout for the Sky Sox tonight, to make Guerra's next start. To me, it's a no-brainer.

A no brainer in the middle of a pennant race is NOT to give a start(s) to a rookie. Go out and get a damn arm...problem solved.

Everything lines up for Woodruff, who pitched 5 shutout for the Sky Sox tonight, to make Guerra's next start. To me, it's a no-brainer.

A no brainer in the middle of a pennant race is NOT to give a start(s) to a rookie. Go out and get a damn arm...problem solved.

Dude, they're not trading for Gray. Let it go.

And yeah, that rookie pitcher Hader has been so awful.

It's definitely not a game you can put on Counsell tonight, but I do have one question. Why is one of your best hitters, 24 year old Domingo Santana, getting a night off in such an absolutely critical series?

Because Counsell has some weird need to play Perez as often as a regular starter, which he is not (330 plate appearances despite an 88 OPS+ and dropping)

BUT THeRE ar reson he should trade his prospects for Pitching ?

No, there is no reason to trade prospects at this point. We're behind in the division to a much better team and don't even have the wildcard to fall back on.

And a journeyman scrub like Sogard leading off. I kind of got it, even though I disagreed with it when he was hitting but he's hitting .234/.314/.298 in his last 105 plate appearances not counting the 1-5 or whatever he had tonight.

Community Moderator
We burned through our entire bullpen tonight basically, so we get to cancel tomorrow's game a few hours before start time due to "expected rain", right?

A "power outage" is causing the lights to flicker...

The BULLPEN IS ON DS .

BUT THeRE are reason he should trade his prospects for Pitching ?

Sure if it is fringe guys that might need to be exposed to the rule 5 draft. We played over our heads and traded away a guy who may not make the majors for a good arm. I have no issue with it. I don't want them trading major pieces though.

I don't think this was a must-sweep series. We can still come back today and only be back by a half game.

You are right, the real issue here is the offense. Our pitching staff, with all of its warts, has kept this potent offense in check with 1 and 2 runs per game. One or two runs for us ain't gonna cut it no matter WHO we play. How many times this year have we put runs on the board in the first couple of innings and then nothing after that?

Archived