Brewer Fanatic

Peralta DFA'd; Nieuwenhuis' contract selected

Thank god Wily's gone. He's toast. Anything he put near the plate on Thursday was hit hard, everything else wasn't even close to the plate. If the guy hasn't learned how to throw strikes by now he never will. Some may say maybe this will motivate him but if getting demoted last year and pitching beyond atrocious this year hasn't motivated him nothing will.

Don't understand bringing up Nieuwenhuis over Wren, Phillips or Broxton. What has he shown over the last 18 months????

Can't bring up Broxton or Phillips due to sending them down in the last 10 days. I think it is important to note how sporadic and how limitted the ABs will be. I will take my chances with the guy with MLB experience. Kyle Wren likely to be a dumpster fire in the few random ABs he will get before Phillips(my educated guess) gets called up or Keon Broxton.

Dumpster fire? That pretty well sums up Nieuwenhuis' entire 2017 season, majors and minors. I just don't get the lack of respect for any player in the system not acquired by the boy genius. Brewers gave away Cooper. Wren has fanned 51 times in 405 minor league PA. Nieuwenhuis has fanned 54 times in less than half that many PA at AAA.

Only justifiable reason is the Brewers are close to acquiring a better quality experienced LH hitting CF and need a fill in for a couple days. Then after that guy is acquired they can simply DFA Nieuwnhuis again. Why was Phillips sent down to begin with anyway? He could have split time with Brinson.

Have to wonder if Villar's days with Brewers are just about up. Bringing up an extra OF could mean the intent is to platoon Perez and Sogard at 2B.

I tend to agree. There's not a lot of value in bringing back Kirk unless it's part of a bigger set of moves between now and Monday at 3 and even at that he isn't a major league caliber player on a team that is chasing the WS champs.

This is a team that doesn't score a lot of runs without the HR so Wren brings a little more contact and OBA skills to the table than Kirk

Verified Member
Peralta move needed to be made especially after his performance in that embarrassing loss. Maybe a change of scenery will help him get back to being the pitcher he once was.

Don't understand bringing up Nieuwenhuis over Wren, Phillips or Broxton. What has he shown over the last 18 months????

Phillips hasn't been down long enough to be called back up - has to be down 10 days. Same w/Broxton.

When Phillips' 10-day option is up, they will DFA Niewuenhuis and bring up Phillips.

I'm guessing the reason it isn't Wren is because the plan is to DFA whoever they bring up once Phillips' 10-day option period is up, and I'm guessing they don't want to add Wren, then DFA him a couple of days later.

Why Nieuwenhuis over, say, Wren? Stearns says on TV that Kirk is "someone [Counsell] trusts and knows."

Why Nieuwenhuis over, say, Wren? Stearns says on TV that Kirk is "someone [Counsell] trusts and knows."

Well, that's certainly fortunate for Kirk, since no other team in baseball would be interested in having him on their 25 man roster.

I just don't get the lack of respect for any player in the system not acquired by the boy genius.

Or it could be the, you know, substantive arguments that a number of people here have offered. Which basically boil down to "we need a deep-backup OF who won't play much; maybe use the guy who has done that job before." But of course to have absorbed and responded to that substantive argument, you would have to have the shred of common decency that it takes to treat the ideas of other people in the community with basic attention and respect.

I have no use for Kirk N. whatsoever, but Kyle Wren is an undersized banjo hitter whom the organization has passed on over and over again, and I'm inclined to think that isn't because (a) they're stupid or (b) they're being mean to him. If you look past this season's stats, there's quite a reasonable basis to believe that Kirk is a less bad MLB back-of-the-bench OF than Wren. I don't know why the comparison would get anyone up in arms, but I don't get a lot of things.

Having Captain Kirk on this team just allows Counsell the ability to play him in situations that make no sense to the development of this current team. Meaning, any game that Kirk starts is one of those situations. We all remember Counsell starting and playing him last year for no apparent reason to the detriment of the guys we needed to be seeing...

Watch and see, he'll start in place of Brinson here and there and we will all be shaking our heads in amazement...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Meaning, any game that Kirk starts is one of those situations. We all remember Counsell starting and playing him last year for no apparent reason to the detriment of the guys we needed to be seeing...

if i recall correctly, nieuwenhuis got a lot of playing time in august--right up until the 31 august postseason-eligibility trading deadline--even after domingo santana had returned from the disabled list. then his playing time disappeared. i am still convinced that they were shopping him.

buh-bye now

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived