Brewer Fanatic

Zimmerman and Fulmer

If we take on most of Jordan Zimmerman's salary, could we get Fulmer for a low prospect price? Zimmerman might be a good bounce back candidate, as well, coming back to his motherland state and the N.L. Detroit wants to trim that payroll. Mark A. Chomping at the bit to take it on...

If we take on most of Jordan Zimmerman's salary, could we get Fulmer for a low prospect price? Zimmerman might be a good bounce back candidate, as well, coming back to his motherland state and the N.L. Detroit wants to trim that payroll. Mark A. Chomping at the bit to take it on...

Short answer .. no.

Tigers have few assets that could bring back prospect packages of good value.

Think back to last summer, if someone offered few (& unranked) low A guys for Garza and Lucroy, would that have been enough??

If you suggest Zimmerman and KINSLER, I think there might be a better chance...

Short answer .. no.

Tigers have few assets that could bring back prospect packages of good value.

Think back to last summer, if someone offered few (& unranked) low A guys for Garza and Lucroy, would that have been enough??

If you suggest Zimmerman and KINSLER, I think there might be a better chance...

If Garza had 3 plus years of a 20 million plus/year contract, then it would be more similar. The prospect package would be lower than Brinson/Hader, but how about Phillips/Ortiz/Gatewood/Villar?

• 3 months later...

Revisiting this thread after reading a few other posts. Brewers will be tied up with alot of prospects to try and protect next year and will not want to go beyond 1 year for a number of signings this year.

What about Michael Fulmer and Ian Kinsler for a few of these prospects that will be up for protection next winter? If they have interest in Villar or Broxton along with 3-4 of these prospects, would fill two great needs for the Brewers. I wonder if it would take taking on some of Zimmerman's contract, who could be a good bounce back candidate as well. We can't keep all these guys next year, need to cash in some of our chips.

Jake Gatewood

Isan Diaz

Monte Harrison

Troy Stokes Jr.

Luis Ortiz

Bubba Derby

Jon Perrin

Cody Pence

Phil Bickford

Jordan Yamamoto

Kodi Medeiros

Trey Supak

Josh Pennington

Nathan Kirby

I like our prospects but why would the Tigers want to give up Fulmer for anyone on this list? Not one of these guys is a high-end prospect. We like them in the Brewers organization and some of these guys have a real chance, but they are not blue-chippers by any means.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A package of Broxton, Harrison, Ortiz and Ponce/Supak wouldn't be enticing to a rebuilding ball club for a really bad contract and veteran that absorbs $11M this year?

I don't think Detroit is too worried about just dumping their contracts just to dump them. Other than Cabrera, they've gotten rid of a lot of what was on the books that will matter. Zimmermann will basically be gone when they're done with their rebuild. They can hold on and pray that he develops some sort of value to deal him away in 2019.

I don't think that package is enough for 4 years of Fulmer.

Fulmer ended the season on the DL and then had elbow surgery and while the surgery generally isn't considered a big deal (ulnar nerve transposition, same surgery Jacob deGrom had), I wouldn't be eating 74 million of a bad contract to land a pitcher that's coming off surgery. Maybe if it was someone who had the look of being a real superstar but Fulmer had a 6.2 K/9, .273 BABIP and 8.8% HR/FB in 2017. I like the guy but he's coming off surgery and then the Brewers are giving up prospects and taking on what could be the worst contract in MLB? No thanks.

I also don't see Zimmermann being a bounce-back candidate. He's like Odorizzi in that pretty much every number screams to stay away. The one difference is that if the Brewers trade for Odorizzi and he bombs they are out about 8 million dollars. If they get Zimmermann odds are that they just obtained about a negative 60 million in surplus value. Therefore, one could argue that Odorizzi is worth the gamble but it would be real, real hard to justify that Zimmermann contract.

Before last year's trade deadline I was trying to work out a three team type deal where the Brewers would get Zimmermann and J.D. Martinez and a prospect from the Tigers and then would flip Martinez to a third team for more prospects but I could never get it to work because that Zimmermann deal was so bad there was never a way to get the numbers to match up.

I'm trying to figure out how Zimmermann is a good bounce back candidate. He was showing signs of decline his last year in Washington and fell off a cliff when he got to Detroit. He's an albatross that's basically unplayable for a team that wants to contend and I think Detroit knows that so they'll just ride out the contract instead of lowering potential assets by forcing a team to take Zimmermann.

Archived