Brewer Fanatic

Dan Straily..

MLB Trade Rumors just posted a blurb that we are interested in Straily as of right now, what would you think is a reasonable package we can offer for him? I think he's clearly a tier down from Gray/Darvish/Verlander, but he is better than some of what we have. R

Ray and Ortiz?

Marlins willing to trade him. Now this is a guy that there should be ZERO reason the Brewers shouldn't try to acquire...Under control for 3 more years at a cheap salary. Why wouldn't DS pursue him hard?? Any reason he shouldn't??

https://twitter.com/MaxWildstein/status/890654449940611073

"Zero" reason not to look into it, but he probably isn't a significant upgrade to the rotation and whether or not you acquire him is completely dependent on what it costs. His 4.38 FIP this year is his lowest since 2013 and it's still higher than Nelson's (3.20), Anderson's (3.45), Garza's (3.45), and Suter's (2.88) this year. Additionally, Guerra and Davies are coming off years of 3.70 and 3.89 FIPs respectively, which are both better years than Straily's ever had. Not to mention our major league ready prospects that could step in, like Hader and Woodruff. FIP isn't everything, but it tends to be more predictive than ERA moving forward and just wanted to point out that there are "some reasons" you may not try to acquire him if the price is too high. That said, if he can be had for insignificant pieces, he's valuable from a low salary, controllable, league average starter, standpoint, I just don't think he's good enough to overpay for.

I like Straily ok but an extreme flyball pitcher like that is tough to stick in Miller Park.

Yep. Straily's calling card is giving up bombs.

Bigtime pass. In fact, it actually makes me want to puke to think the Brewers might be in negotiations to get him...

I like Straily ok but an extreme flyball pitcher like that is tough to stick in Miller Park.

Bigtime pass. In fact, it actually makes me want to puke to think the Brewers might be in negotiations to get him...

Agreed. He isn't special as it is...in Miller Park? Wow no thanks. Would be absolutely steaming if we give up how much it would cost to get him.

Agreed. He isn't special as it is...in Miller Park? Wow no thanks. Would be absolutely steaming if we give up how much it would cost to get him.

They won't, if they were going to give that up, I'd assume they'd just trade for Gray

Straily isn't even to arbitration yet, so I'd guess that the cost would be way higher than most would anticipate. Won't get into Sonny Gray territory, but 25+ million in prospect surplus value is not out of the question. Could easily be something like Luis Ortiz and Marcos Diplan and a fringe prospect. I would completely avoid Straily as there isn't that much of a track record and some of the peripherals look rather ominous.

Starting to think Mark A told Stearns to pay whatever price he's comfortable with but to please add a SP via trade.

I think Stearns is just checking in on all potential options like any other GM.

In my opinion Straily is a terrible target even if one ignores the fact he probably won't fare well at Miller Park. He isn't a difference maker and due to his cheap salary he demands more. He totally deserves added value because of how cheap he is financially, but that doesn't do much for us. Our payroll is cheap as it is. Straily is a good target for a team with a massive payroll that needs a cheap mid rotation guy.

He won 14 games with Reds with an ERA under 4 with the Reds despite allowing 31 HR. First, almost all pitchers with the Reds allow tons of HR. The ones that are still successful are mentally tough and most of the HR allowed are solo shots.

I wouldn't empty the system for Straily but I think he'd be a solid addition.

Has anyone heard anymore rumblings about this? I am wondering if this past series against Chicago put to bed any real interest we have in investing minor league assets into anything for our MLB roster.

Archived