Brewer Fanatic

From Buyers to Sellers in Fourteen Days.

Ok, after watching another bullpen blowup and seeing an overall collapse since the All Star break would it be out of the realm of possibility to go from buyers to sellers? If the Brewers drop the next four, which would not be surprising, they would be 4.5 out at the deadline. At which point it would make little sense to trade for players and try to contend this year. I feel Stearns would be better served to sell. But who would be a good candidate to trade and bring back valuable pieces. The bullpen pieces who you would deal won't bring much back. How sad would it be to see Swarzak dealt twice in a week? What about position players or starting pitchers? Who would have value that is not in the long term plans of the franchise?

This trade deadline could go from one of the most potentially exciting deadlines in franchise history to one of the most disappointing.

Who would they sell? Braun has no trade value with his contract and Garza is back on the DL. Sell Santana or Shaw when they are still under team control for so many years? No player that would make a bit of sense to move would bring back anything really worth talking about. I don't even think Knebel would bring back much of a return considering he hasn't pitched that well lately and the reliever market does not seem to be on fire this year.

Who would they sell? Braun has no trade value with his contract and Garza is back on the DL. Sell Santana or Shaw when they are still under team control for so many years? No player that would make a bit of sense to move would bring back anything really worth talking about. I don't even think Knebel would bring back much of a return considering he hasn't pitched that well lately and the reliever market does not seem to be on fire this year.

I would listen to offers for Knebel, but I'd need to be blown away.

Yeah, selling now is a tough sell being right in the thick of things and with 10 games left with the Cubs (take that as good or bad but that gives them a chance).

I mean they'd have to kind of announce they're selling I'd think to start generating offers while being a bit late to the game.

They could certainly listen on Knebel and Thames, but outside of those two I don't see anybody else in a spot to really sell and get any sort of significant return.

Everybody needs to take a breath. There's 60 games left. This bullpen and CC's managing of it is beyond maddening but there is a TON of baseball left to play. Did you all really think we were going to run away from the Cubs 6 games ahead and live happily ever after in the NLCS?

"Winter was coming" at some point, the battle has only just begun.

Everybody needs to take a breath. There's 60 games left. This bullpen and CC's managing of it is beyond maddening but there is a TON of baseball left to play. Did you all really think we were going to run away from the Cubs 6 games ahead and live happily ever after in the NLCS?

"Winter was coming" at some point, the battle has only just begun.

I would be more optimistic if the talent gap between us and the Cubs wasn't so huge. We built a lead the first half with a lot of smoke and mirrors, now that we have squandered it, our roster simply doesn't have the horses to keep up with the Cubs, I'm sad to say.

Community Moderator
No matter how bad things go over the next 4 days I don't think the Brewers will turn into sellers before the deadline unless it is an under the radar move such as shipping a veteran off their Colorado Spring roster such as Ivan DeJesus Jr.. The thing to remember is that is doesn't matter all that much because should things continue to go south they still have the month of August to trade guys through the revocable waiver system. Guys like Braun, Garza, Sogard, Swarzak could be candidates to be moved in August. They could also float out some of their longer term assets in August as well, but I guess I would a little surprised to see them do that.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Guys like Braun, Garza, Sogard, Swarzak could be candidates to be moved in August.

I would be surprised if assets making 6 figures cleared waivers. Usually only contracts that would require ownership review and approval or contracts with negative value.

The playoff odds can still swing pretty wildly in the next 4 days. If the Brewers only win 1 of the next 4 and can get a prospect of close to Cordell value and a position of less depth and potentially not rule 5 eligible, it would make a lot of sense to me to pull the trigger in what would essentially be a 3 way trade.

I don't think they'll be sellers, but I'd be blown away at this stage if they made a huge splash buying.

At this point I think it's better to stand pat and continue evaluating the roster - it's obvious the bullpen rebuild needs more time and better pitchers, and it'd be foolish to trade away the few MLB-caliber relievers on this roster if they are controllable for the next few seasons. Their bullpen problems are a combination of not needing to construct one with eyes on contending at the start of this year, plus overuse of the few reliable relievers to the point where it's an inconsistent circus every time a starter leaves the game.

If they can piece together trade packages using more of the players on the 40 man who may be subject to a 2018 numbers crunch and mid-tier prospects, go for it. I'd prefer any other trades to bring back a veteran reliever that's on a reasonable contract extending beyond this season, actually. Something that can help stabilize things this year to see if this young team can stay hot enough to make September interesting, and still be a 2018 roster building block.

Guys like Braun, Garza, Sogard, Swarzak could be candidates to be moved in August.

I would be surprised if assets making 6 figures cleared waivers. Usually only contracts that would require ownership review and approval or contracts with negative value.

The playoff odds can still swing pretty wildly in the next 4 days. If the Brewers only win 1 of the next 4 and can get a prospect of close to Cordell value and a position of less depth and potentially not rule 5 eligible, it would make a lot of sense to me to pull the trigger in what would essentially be a 3 way trade.

He said moved not clear waivers. Since he is a rental only a team competing would be likely to claim him. If he pitches well we could probably get a minor piece back from said team.

This didn't happen in 14 days, this team was built to be sellers all along.

Knebel is a controllable late inning guy. He would be a better closer than some of the contenders have, and could easily be the "8th inning guy" for others. I think his value is still pretty high. Thames, Pina, Aguilar have value. They're cheap and controllable. Perez and Sogard have value. Contenders are always looking for a bench guy that can play multiple positions, PH, etc. Swarzak and Hughes could be dealt, reliever market may be down compared to last year, but these guys could still fetch a good return. Garza may not bring back anything, but worth exploring. Guerra, Brain, and Villar likely can't be moved.

Then you could get real crazy and look at trading high on Shaw, Santana,and Nelson.

I would still be trolling the bottom of the market looking for bargains. But after observing this team over the last four months AND the last two weeks, I'd be more inclined to avoid selling and avoid buying and go into hold mode. Since virtually the entire team will be back next year, the next two months can be used for further evaluation of the overall team and the individual parts. There is value in that. Hard to get a grip on what you are if you start trading away controllable players who were the team's future just one month ago.

He said moved not clear waivers. Since he is a rental only a team competing would be likely to claim him. If he pitches well we could probably get a minor piece back from said team.

Well sure, we could cut him at any time, but he is unlikely to make it through to any “buyers” on waivers and the first team with a non-zero playoff probability would be silly not to block him. There is even incentive for noncontenders to claim him and limit the market as he costs pennies above any replacement. I would be shocked if a reliever with a sub 3 FIP and making under 1 mil ever was traded after July 31st.

I would still be trolling the bottom of the market looking for bargains. But after observing this team over the last four months AND the last two weeks, I'd be more inclined to avoid selling and avoid buying and go into hold mode. Since virtually the entire team will be back next year, the next two months can be used for further evaluation of the overall team and the individual parts. There is value in that. Hard to get a grip on what you are if you start trading away controllable players who were the team's future just one month ago.

This is where I'm at. These trade (external) trade pieces have been known for some time. It's obvious this team was playing over its collective head and I think Stearns is smart enough to know that. If they can make a deal for some controllable pieces without giving up any top prospects, then do it. If they can get something for a Thames, do it. Otherwise just hold and play the plan out.

They do have a little bit of a log jam with the 40 man with the approaching rule 5 so I have no problem with them selling off pieces they don't see as part of the future for short term, immediate help. It's a good PR move to the casual fan and, why not.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I would talk to the Royals about Hernan Perez. Escobar has been just terrible this year (for most of his career really). They could also use a utility player. Perez is a player that is nice to have but we can work around him this year and starting next year he will be blocking players who need to get major league experience. I don't exactly know what the Royals have to offer as I don't follow prospects for other teams though.

If the Cubs take 2 of 3 or sweep this weekend, I would try and move Knebel on Monday. We aren't realistically catching the Cubs if we fall more than two games back, plus Swarzak could slide right in and close games for us the rest of the season and probably not lose too much at closer.

If the Cubs take 2 of 3 or sweep this weekend, I would try and move Knebel on Monday. We aren't realistically catching the Cubs if we fall more than two games back, plus Swarzak could slide right in and close games for us the rest of the season and probably not lose too much at closer.

It depends on when they want to start to really compete. If it is next year our bullpen is going to be just awful so they need to keep Knebel and sign Swarzak or someone like him in the off season and probably 1 or 2 other RP. If we are looking more at 2019 or 2020 trading him makes sense though.

Even if they decided to "sell" what parts do the Brewers have that they could realistically trade?

Braun? If the Mets have little market for Jay Bruce, nobody is going to take on the financial commitment to Braun, not to mention his 10-5 rights.

Garza? He's averaging less than 6 innings a start and has trouble staying healthy. He probably is worth more to the Brewers than he is to any other contending team.

Swarzak has trade value but it's very improbable the Brewers would trade him away in less than a week's time.

Sogard might have trade value too....in August.

Everyone else is under control for 2018 and given the apparent reluctance to trade tomorrow's pieces to improve today, I don't think Milwaukee would swap out anyone on the big league roster that is under control beyond this year.

I could see them trading Knebel if they got back a bigger haul than they got for Thornburg.

Barnes and even Hughes could be lower level trades.

Depending on what they think of Phillips/Brinson it is possible that they could trade Santana but that is unlikely.

Guerra? Maybe/unlikely

Sogard could be traded

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I could see them trading Knebel if they got back a bigger haul than they got for Thornburg.

Barnes and even Hughes could be lower level trades.

Depending on what they think of Phillips/Brinson it is possible that they could trade Santana but that is unlikely.

Guerra? Maybe/unlikely

Sogard could be traded

If we did sell, I don't see us trading any position players. It's a buyers market, rentals like JD Martinez can be had for super cheap. I suspect we could get something for Hughes and maybe Torres, but not much. Knebel would get a pretty big haul but I doubt we trade him. Garza could get more than Guerra at this point I would think, but neither are getting much. Santana has massive value but no way would we get it right now with so many rentals available, could be an off season move but I see him sticking around. I personally hope we pretty much stand pat, maybe ship off garza if possible, and see if our guys can claw back into contention. At the very least make the last couple months interesting.

Everyone is making good points and it's pretty clear that they're really isn't a pressing NEED to sell right now given the circumstances/trade chips we have.

I mean if Stearns got a call on Knebel with a can't pass up type offer, I trust that he'd act on it if it's in the best interests long term.

I would want move than the Padres are asking for Brad Hand, however, and I'm almost positive the Padres will be settling for less or keeping him at this point.

Archived