Brewer Fanatic

Rockies Trade for Pat Neshek

Eye Black
Community Moderator

The Rockies make a solid bullpen addition (LINK)...

The Rockies announced on Wednesday night that the club acquired relief pitcher Pat Neshek from the Phillies in exchange for three minor leaguers: infielder Jose Gomez, pitcher J.D. Hammer, and pitcher Alejandro Requena.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
None of the Rockies players are in their top 30 (MLB pipeline), correct?

Gomez was the Rockies #21 prospect on their updated MLB Pipeline top 30 list. I didn't see the other two listed.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This team is in need of more than one addition in order to compete with the big boys. In order to idiot proof the bullpen I'd argue that at least four additions would need to take place.

So are the Rockies though. That team is not getting out of the Wild Card round.

This team is in need of more than one addition in order to compete with the big boys. In order to idiot proof the bullpen I'd argue that at least four additions would need to take place.

Just what I was thinking. We should trade Knebel to them.

Neshek isn't a closer, is only a rental and is pretty old, but this still seems like a really low sell on him. According to Fangraphs, Neshek has a 1.93 FIP which is the 6th best in MLB among relievers. I'd be disappointed with that return if I was a Phillies fan.

I think you can up that number to infinite additions after hearing how cryptic CC was about our new add in his presser.

People are grossly exaggerating how bad Counsel is with the bullpen. I will say that Ned Yost won a world series and it was specifically because they idiot proofed his bullpen. He has to be the worst manager in MLB history when it comes to bullpen usage.

Counsel doesn't trust Hader and he has a really bad bullpen to work with, in general he uses what is available as properly as most managers if you keep in mind he doesn't trust Hader. The not using your best RP outside of saves is something 90% of manager do wrong so can't really knock him personally for it.

It's very tough to manage the pen when virtually no one can be trusted. Any of the guys on our team can lay an egg on any day, impossible to predict when. Though last night if he wasn't going to go with Hader another hitter then I'd have just went with Knebel, roll with your best guy and see what happens. Seems consensus here was to let Hader go, if he walks and/or gives up a hit to the next guy everyone would be ripping for leaving a lefty in vs a really good hitting righty, manager is always going to be nitpicked.

It's very tough to manage the pen when virtually no one can be trusted. Any of the guys on our team can lay an egg on any day, impossible to predict when. Though last night if he wasn't going to go with Hader another hitter then I'd have just went with Knebel, roll with your best guy and see what happens. Seems consensus here was to let Hader go, if he walks and/or gives up a hit to the next guy everyone would be ripping for leaving a lefty in vs a really good hitting righty, manager is always going to be nitpicked.

It's practically the national pass-time around here. If there's one thing we can be sure of, every IGT will have some who nitpick the line-up and blast CC for bullpen usage. Every single game. Over the course of a 162 game season, I'm sure CC would look back and made different decisions here and there. Him and every other Manager. In hindsight, he probably would have just started Barnes with a clean inning. But Nelson was rolling, so made perfect sense to give him a shot. That decision, in my opinion, had the biggest impact on that disaster of an inning.

That is every team though. If you look at any team board there is always a contingent of fans that think the manager sucks. It's just white noise at this point.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

That is every team though. If you look at any team board there is always a contingent of fans that think the manager sucks. It's just white noise at this point.

But in this case he has literally no good options, what is he supposed to do? The only clear thing is Knebel is his best bet, and even he's been unreliable lately.

I think our biggest problem (before getting Swarzak hopefully) was no true 8th inning guy that can be counted on. Hughes and Barnes have both had extended runs of brilliance, but neither is consistent enough to be trusted in close games, and Barnes has shown that games can get away from him in a hurry.

Barnes is still young and has a much higher ceiling than what he has done this year, but I do worry that after the failure of Feliz we rushed him along a little too much by making him the set 8th inning guy. Making him the setup man is great if you're rebuilding and want to get him experience for next year, but not so great in a playoff run. Hopefully now that we have Swarzak, some pressure will be taken off Barnes and he can perform a bit better in the 7th inning, and Hughes can go back to being a fireman when we need a double play ball.

This has to be the steal trade of the deadline... Neshek is tough, perhaps the best arm to be had, and all that was needed was a #17 type prospect and throw ins?

Equivalently, that would be like a Gatewood or Nottingham in return, plus a couple of fringe A ballers. I would do that in a heartbeat. Would this make us division champs? Maybe not, but our playoff odds would increase for not much of a cost.

This has to be the steal trade of the deadline... Neshek is tough, perhaps the best arm to be had, and all that was needed was a #17 type prospect and throw ins?

Equivalently, that would be like a Gatewood or Nottingham in return, plus a couple of fringe A ballers. I would do that in a heartbeat. Would this make us division champs? Maybe not, but our playoff odds would increase for not much of a cost.

Lol says who? It's a 1 game playoff.

Archived