Brewer Fanatic

Brinson recalled, Garza to DL (leg strain)

Santana continues to be disrespected. No way he's the one going out. He's all of one year older than Phillips/Brinson and is doing great in MLs right now. There is no guarantee what the others will provide but we're going to make a win now trade while starting two unproven guys in two outfield spots? Just not logical but falls in line with the boards generally love affair with prospects. Maybe in the offseason or something, but not right now.

I see the point, and I agree that starting unproven guys in the OF is not exactly the epitome of a "win now" attitude.

That said, I don't agree that proposing the idea is disrespectful to Santana, or that it "isn't logical." I think Santana's been really good. He's incredibly valuable given his offensive production. I would love for him to be a Brewer for the next half-decade. If he turns into a controllable #2 starting pitcher, though? On a staff that's going to need pitching down the line? I mean, I think that's worth doing. It helps the team both now and in the future, and that's the philosophy the whole front office keeps talking about. Ultimately, I can see DS thinking that Santana is untouchable, but I can see him thinking let's get a really good pitcher through 2019 or 2020 too. You can make a case either way. No doubt, trading Domingo would be bold, but I don't think it would be illogical given the organizational roster.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of Phillips, Brinson, or Santana...Phillips would clearly be the most palatable player to be traded imho. I love his personality, but I'm less certain about his abilities to produce at the MLB level than I am the other two players.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Haudricourt tweeted “Stearns said when he woke up yesterday he didn’t know he’d be making a trade. That’s how fluid things are.” If that is what Stearns said to Haudricourt I’m going to put a 95% sticker on the fact that someone is being traded…

Since the move to add Brinson to the MLB roster isn't yet official, it gives the Brewers flexibility with their current 25-man should any of those players (i.e., Phillips, Villar, Peralta, etc) be headed out of town via trade. Swarzek is on his way tomorrow, so the Brewers have a bit of time to make a roster adjustment for that addition. If a trade involving Phillips goes down today, the current MLB roster doesn't have anyone to play CF adequately - thus you get Brinson in Washington in case a roster spot opens up before gametime tonight.

And, Phillips/Villar were done with last night's game by the time Brinson was pulled in Co Springs. So there wouldn't need to be a #hugwatch for either of them even if they are part of a looming deal.

Stearns must be being mentored by the master of silence, Doug Melvin. I do appreciate that about the Brewers. They handle their business without pushing out all of the news/rumors. It might be frustrating because we have to wait but I'd rather have no news than a bunch of rumors and one just happened to be right.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

LEWIS BRINSON HAS NOT BEEN CALLED UP.

Let's get that straight. So we cannot just assume he is being called up to replace someone when no one actually has an idea what is going on. I don't think Brinson is in trade talks, but he isn't called up yet either.

Maybe not technically but he was pulled from that game last night for a reason. It has been widely reported that he was not hurt, was not traded, and was recalled. No need to pull him if he wasn't hurt. No need to recall him if he is being traded. Only reason to recall him is to replace someone. Tie all that together with Stearns being coy about what is going on my guess is either Braun or Phillips is on their way out. Dancing around no trade clauses and the intricacies of a Braun trade would account for the time this is taking. Not sure I believe it but it could be.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Just catching up.. Why does the Brinson call-up require a trade? Was somebody just not announced as going down from the 25?
It's suspicious that Brinson got pulled from last night's game in the first inning. If the call up was planned, he wouldn't have started the game.

Gotcha, so assuming the obtaining team asked that he be pulled? Wouldn't make sense for the Brewers to pull him for a call-up to cover a different departing OF. Unless they absolutely wanted him to fly last night to be in uniform tonight? Agree now though that if it were just a call-up, the Brewers would seemingly have routinely announced something by now.

Haudricourt tweeted “Stearns said when he woke up yesterday he didn’t he’d be making a trade. That’s how fluid things are.” If that is what Stearns said to Haudricourt I’m going to put a 95% sticker on the fact that someone is being traded…

I think he was referring to the Swarzik trade. That's how I took it anyway.

Haudricourt tweeted “Stearns said when he woke up yesterday he didn’t he’d be making a trade. That’s how fluid things are.” If that is what Stearns said to Haudricourt I’m going to put a 95% sticker on the fact that someone is being traded…

This could apply to the Cordell trade.

Let's get that straight. So we cannot just assume he is being called up to replace someone when no one actually has an idea what is going on. I don't think Brinson is in trade talks, but he isn't called up yet either.

As someone stated earlier, the Sky Sox play a day game today which begins in about 2 hours. Not sure when the starting lineups are announced for minor league games but we should know soon if Brinson is in today's lineup. If not, then that would certainly suggest something is up with him...call up, trade (as many have pointed out would not make sense), injury.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Maybe not technically but he was pulled from that game last night for a reason. It has been widely reported that he was not hurt, was not traded, and was recalled. No need to pull him if he wasn't hurt. No need to recall him if he is being traded. Only reason to recall him is to replace someone. Tie all that together with Stearns being coy about what is going on my guess is either Braun or Phillips is on their way out. Dancing around no trade clauses and the intricacies of a Braun trade would account for the time this is taking. Not sure I believe it but it could be.

Maybe he just hasn't been traded yet? No reporter has even the slightest of what is going on so how do we even know Brinson isn't being talked about? Once again I doubt he is, but let's not just shut the possibility out the door.

Santana continues to be disrespected.

x100... It is amazing how we don't appreciate a guy that turned 24 and is having a very good offensive year. Just continues to get better but a lot of fans just disregard him.

Since May 1, He has a .316 AVG .400 OBP. At the age of 24, I think he is solidifying himself as a core player not a trade piece.

Santana continues to be disrespected.

x100... It is amazing how we don't appreciate a guy that turned 24 and is having a very good offensive year. Just continues to get better but a lot of fans just disregard him.

Since May 1, He has a .316 AVG .400 OBP. At the age of 24, I think he is solidifying himself as a core player not a trade piece.

Santana has been playing like a burgeoning superstar, not just a core Brewer, but a top ten OF in the MLB. He's 24! He's younger than Cordell!

Haudricourt tweeted “Stearns said when he woke up yesterday he didn’t know he’d be making a trade. That’s how fluid things are.” If that is what Stearns said to Haudricourt I’m going to put a 95% sticker on the fact that someone is being traded…

This implies that Stearns has been sleeping. Unacceptable.

Maybe he just hasn't been traded yet? No reporter has even the slightest of what is going on so how do we even know Brinson isn't being talked about? Once again I doubt he is, but let's not just shut the possibility out the door.

You're right in that it is possible but it doesn't seem to be the way things are trending.

It makes no sense to call up Brinson if he is being traded....no need to do that....it has to be to cover another outfield spot. If it was a simple switch of Brinson for Phillips because of lefties...that would have been announced right away...has to be for a trade and its one of the outfielders currently on the roster that is moving...either Phillips or Santana...it just could be taking time to finish if say they were trying to figure out something with Verlander to get him to waive the no trade. It could be Santana moving on but that would be for a very controllable pitcher. Should be an exciting day.

This is what I' m thinking, as well. Also, I'm assuming the team is Detroit, since they are the one with advanced talks with DS. If I'm Detroit, I look hard at Villar. Villar would be better/cheaper fit for them than Kinsler. They probably want an advanced arm, as well.

So.... my official guess:

Detroit gets...

Phillips

Villar

Advanced arm (Ortiz, Burnes, or F Peralta)

Lower level high upside guy ( Gatewood or Harrison)

Brewers get....

Verlander

Kinsler,

Cash

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just can't see Santana being traded... nope. Right now you're not trading a middle of the order bat when you're in first place to replace him with a guy who looked extremely overmatched when he came up for his first cup of coffee. That just doesn't make a single bit of sense. I don't care what kind of pitcher they get back.

If I had to guess. Phillips in a deal for Wilson/Kinsler.

Though we were getting consistent rumors with connection to Detroit. Now suddenly when things are supposably ramping up for some type of deal we get nothing? Hmmm

If I had a dream to guess. Phillips in a deal for Wilson/Kinsler.

Though we were getting consistent rumors with connection to Detroit. Now suddenly when things are supposably ramping up for some type of deal we get nothing? Hmmm

If a trade is made, I believe the Tigers would be the partner as well. I think Wilson/Kinsler is safe, but I think Verlander or Fulmer would be in there too. Fulmer is a player worthy of a few high prospects.

It makes no sense to call up Brinson if he is being traded....no need to do that....it has to be to cover another outfield spot. If it was a simple switch of Brinson for Phillips because of lefties...that would have been announced right away...has to be for a trade and its one of the outfielders currently on the roster that is moving...either Phillips or Santana...it just could be taking time to finish if say they were trying to figure out something with Verlander to get him to waive the no trade. It could be Santana moving on but that would be for a very controllable pitcher. Should be an exciting day.

This is what I' m thinking, as well. Also, I'm assuming the team is Detroit, since they are the one with advanced talks with DS. If I'm Detroit, I look hard at Villar. Villar would be better/cheaper fit for them than Kinsler. They probably want an advanced arm, as well.

So.... my official guess:

Detroit gets...

Phillips

Villar

Advanced arm (Ortiz, Burnes, or F Peralta)

Lower level high upside guy ( Gatewood or Harrison)

Brewers get....

Verlander

Kinsler,

Cash

Can't we just take on more of Verlander and Kinsler's salary and give up less in prospects? I know it's not my money, but I'd rather go that route than to give up a possible Villar/Phillips/Burnes/Gatewood package for two aging players. Maybe if they throw in Wilson on the deal - then I'd consider it.

Braun to DL. Torres DFA I'm guessing.

I don't see a fit with the Tigers. Trading prospects for two old expensive guys and Wilson is the opposite of acquiring young controllable talent.

It's possible to not get just young talent. Stearns literally did it 24 hours ago.

Archived