Brewer Fanatic

Brinson recalled, Garza to DL (leg strain)

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Brinson is being traded (which seems unlikely), who would you guys be ok with getting back in the deal?

I'd personally want someone with at least 3.5-4.5 years of control who projects to at least be a #2 rotation guy during that time. Basically someone like Fulmer is the only way I'd be happy with trading Brinson at this point.

But I'm sure we're all overreacting and he's just headed for Washington, probably will be in the lineup tonight.

Honestly, now that we know Swarzak isn't available until tomorrow, it seems possible that Brinson was originally not supposed to start at all and would be called up to replace a reliever for tonight's game. Maybe Cordell's medicals delayed things and they decided to let Brinson go ahead and start, then things got figured out during the rain delay so he was pulled? This scenario only makes sense if they plan on keeping up Phillips too, otherwise they could've just kept Brinson out of the lineup and then sent down Phillips if the Swarzak deal fell through. But with Swarzak, maybe they plan on getting rid of the 8th man in the bullpen for now (but not without him).

Anyways, there's one possible scenario that doesn't involve another trade, complicated though it may be.

Im surprised we havent gotten a "talks are heating up between the Brewers and x" report if a trade is this imminent involving one of our top prospects, seemingly either Phillips or Brinson.

Bit surprised too since the Brinson circus started over 12 hours ago. If Brinson or any of our three OFers are involved in a trade it is pretty major trade. Not another Swarzak.

While the thought of trading Phillip or Brinson or even Santana may make some people very uncomfortable, you really need to look forward to opening day 2018. Something has to give...they have Brinson, Phillips, Braun, and Santana (and don't forget Broxton). All these players should arguably be on an MLB active roster starting next year. So, you either make a trade now or during the off season. I'm guessing the return on the market for Braun is not exactly great (and we would probably have to eat much of his contract). So, it's reasonable that Phillip, Brinson, or Santana will be dealt at some point. If you can get a good pitcher who is controllable for the next 2-3 years in a trade now, I say you do it since it's most likely going to happen in the off season anyways.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How does Milwaukee pair with Texas, prospect wise? Could Phillips headline a deal for Darvish?

Isn't Darvish in the last year of a contract, so he would be a 2 month rental? Seems like Phillips would be pretty steep price for that. Would rather have Gray.

Yes he is. Part of the reason I'm not really interested in Darvish. If you send anything away of value for Darvish, you better be REALLY sure you're all in at that point, and you better be REALLY sure you have the pieces to compete with Washington, LA, and then probably Houston, or it's kind of a futile gesture. Which when you think about it, already seems like a futile gesture.

This is probably just wishful thinking but perhaps it's Hernán Pérez who's being included in a trade? That would leave the Brewers short in the OF...

Pérez alone won't bring much, but as a part of a package his versatility adds some value.

Or even Villar (although his performance this year makes it seem less likely)? Pérez would need to play more IF so an OF to replace him might make sense.

Yeah, I know that it's unlikely that either of these are the case but I think that every single other possibility has been covered, some even less likely... :tongue

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

If Brinson is traded for Darvish, I don't think I'll ever trust in Stearns again. The idea was to build for a long stretch. Not one shot at a maybe playoff year. Unless they have a deal in place to sign Darvish to a deal along with it, I want no part in any of that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m not arguing for or against… still learning the nuances. If we were to trade for Darvish and he walks, we acquire the compensation piece that is making his price a bit higher, yes?

That's the way it used to work (we acquired the comp pick for losing Sabathia, as an example), but that hasn't been the case for several years. The player needs to be on that team's roster before the season starts to be eligible for a comp pick. That's what makes matching up difficult on trades for rentals who would otherwise be made a Qualifying Offer. The seller views the player as 2 months plus a comp pick they'd lose out on, while the buyer is just buying that player for 2 months without any comp pick attached.

Gruber Lawffices

I'm thinking there's a better chance that Santana is on his way out with Brinson coming to replace him. I love Domingo, but i'd be ok with moving him for a guy like Gray as a sell-high kind of move. I think he fits better long-term as a DH anyways.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It makes no sense to call up Brinson if he is being traded....no need to do that....it has to be to cover another outfield spot. If it was a simple switch of Brinson for Phillips because of lefties...that would have been announced right away...has to be for a trade and its one of the outfielders currently on the roster that is moving...either Phillips or Santana...it just could be taking time to finish if say they were trying to figure out something with Verlander to get him to waive the no trade. It could be Santana moving on but that would be for a very controllable pitcher. Should be an exciting day.

Santana continues to be disrespected. No way he's the one going out. He's all of one year older than Phillips/Brinson and is doing great in MLs right now. There is no guarantee what the others will provide but we're going to make a win now trade while starting two unproven guys in two outfield spots? Just not logical but falls in line with the boards generally love affair with prospects. Maybe in the offseason or something, but not right now.

only reason to call him up is if someone is being moved off the MLB roster. So either someone's getting traded, or being sent down to AAA. I can't see why you would call Brinson up before trading him to another team.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It's been said that the A's wanted a CF so I would be surprised if it's Santana. Phillips, Ortiz and a lottery ticket like a Nic Pierre would be risky but might be interesting. Too bad we couldn't make it Corey Ray but that seems unlikely. At that point, you'd have to wonder if Ryan Cordell wouldn't have been the better number 4 OF. That mythical OF depth would be much farther down the pike.

Santana continues to be disrespected.

x100... It is amazing how we don't appreciate a guy that turned 24 and is having a very good offensive year. Just continues to get better but a lot of fans just disregard him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just catching up.. Why does the Brinson call-up require a trade? Was somebody just not announced as going down from the 25?
It's suspicious that Brinson got pulled from last night's game in the first inning. If the call up was planned, he wouldn't have started the game.

Santana continues to be disrespected.

x100... It is amazing how we don't appreciate a guy that turned 24 and is having a very good offensive year. Just continues to get better but a lot of fans just disregard him.

290/380 with 25-30 HRS and 20 SBs do not grow on trees.

Just catching up.. Why does the Brinson call-up require a trade? Was somebody just not announced as going down from the 25?

Brinson's call up is not even official, but when asked by Haudricourt about it, Stearns danced around the question and said there would be more said later today.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

LEWIS BRINSON HAS NOT BEEN CALLED UP.

Let's get that straight. So we cannot just assume he is being called up to replace someone when no one actually has an idea what is going on. I don't think Brinson is in trade talks, but he isn't called up yet either.

Santana continues to be disrespected. No way he's the one going out. He's all of one year older than Phillips/Brinson and is doing great in MLs right now. There is no guarantee what the others will provide but we're going to make a win now trade while starting two unproven guys in two outfield spots? Just not logical but falls in line with the boards generally love affair with prospects. Maybe in the offseason or something, but not right now.

This makes sense to me. A win-now trade doesn't (or shouldn't) involve replacing a proven bat with an unproven one in the lineup - especially given the lack of runs since the break (last night notwithstanding).

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Could just be a lot of plates in the air and they want Brinson physically with the team in case something happens. Also, it's said the new reliever won't be there until tomorrow. If nothing happens, send down the reliever going down for him today, start Brinson in CF vs lefty today makes sense too. Then activate reliever tomorrow and send one of the OFs or another reliever down.

Archived