Brewer Fanatic

Brinson recalled, Garza to DL (leg strain)

Nice to see Brinson get his first HR last night. Hopefully his hitting will really take off at the MLB level. He definitely had better at-bats yesterday. Still looks like more of a corner OF to me though than a CF
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol...Garza to the 10 day DL retroactive to 7/22, day after his last start. With an off day this past monday and an off day on the 31st, this reeks of gaming the 10-day DL through the trade deadline because the rotation could keep starting on regular rest.

retroactive to 23 july. with the new 10-day disabled list, can only backdate three days.

with jimmy nelson scheduled to throw tuesday, garza would be eligible to be activated wednesday to pitch against the cardinals. here's hoping that he will be healthy enough to return and throw at least six innings.

Forgive me if this was brought up before, I did my best to read all 14 pages of this thread, but must admit I skimmed thru a few. Is it at all possible that there was an imminent trade or a trade that fell apart? As others have said, the timing of Brinson's exit from CS is beyond bizarre. I feel that this situation was butchered badly.

IIRC, that CS game was delayed due to rain, and I'd be willing to bet that they pulled Brinson for precautionary reasons due to the wet grass and trying to avoid a slightly elevated injury risk of slipping on the wet grass.

with jimmy nelson scheduled to throw tuesday, garza would be eligible to be activated wednesday to pitch against the cardinals. here's hoping that he will be healthy enough to return and throw at least six innings.

garza threw a bullpen session saturday and was scheduled to throw one today. hoping it's good news for him to return to the rotation.

Any idea what's going on with Woodruff? Is there an upcoming TBA that might be filled by Woodruff? What's his status? Limbo?

assuming that garza's slot on thursday is not the next tba, saturday's starter (essentially junior guerra's spot) is undetermined.

brandon woodruff threw 5.0 innings on saturday.

Got it, thanks

Is anyone else concerned that Brinson is just plain not that good? Sure seems like a lot of swing & miss and his swing looks very long...

Same could have been said about Santana.

No im not worried......maybe have a little patience.....not everybody starts to hit the moment they get called up.

apparently the brewers feel confident with the availability of their bullpen and in matt garza's ability to go relatively deep on thursday, having optioned paolo espino last night. recalled on 28 july, espino hadn't pitched for the brewers since, and would've been an ideal candidate for long relief in case garza falters thursday.

Is anyone else concerned that Brinson is just plain not that good? Sure seems like a lot of swing & miss and his swing looks very long...

Same could have been said about Santana.

No im not worried......maybe have a little patience.....not everybody starts to hit the moment they get called up.

Count me concerned. The Santana comparison is a good one, but when Santana started 0 for 17 with Houston, he hadn't yet turned 22 and wasn't the number 1 prospect in their system. Brinson is 23 and he's the top prospect on what is being billed as a very good system. Makes me worry not just about Brinson, but the overall quality of the Brewer prospects if he's #1.

apparently the brewers feel confident with the availability of their bullpen and in matt garza's ability to go relatively deep on thursday, having optioned paolo espino last night. recalled on 28 july, espino hadn't pitched for the brewers since, and would've been an ideal candidate for long relief in case garza falters thursday.

Espino isn't an ideal candidate for anything other than a 5th starter in AAA. He certainly shouldn't be on the 40 man.

Count me concerned. The Santana comparison is a good one, but when Santana started 0 for 17 with Houston, he hadn't yet turned 22 and wasn't the number 1 prospect in their system. Brinson is 23 and he's the top prospect on what is being billed as a very good system. Makes me worry not just about Brinson, but the overall quality of the Brewer prospects if he's #1.

Comparing Brinson to Santana based on their ranking in their respective systems is fairly arbitrary and not a likely indicator of furure success. . In 2014 when Santana started 0 for 17 Houstons system was much better than ours. Their top prospects included Springer and Correra. If those 2 as prospects were currently in our system Brinson would not be our number 1 prospect either. If anything showing what santana did makes me less concerned about Brinson.

Comparing Brinson to Santana based on their ranking in their respective systems is fairly arbitrary and not a likely indicator of furure success. . In 2014 when Santana started 0 for 17 Houstons system was much better than ours. Their top prospects included Springer and Correra. If those 2 as prospects were currently in our system Brinson would not be our number 1 prospect either. If anything showing what santana did makes me less concerned about Brinson.

Is it too much to ask that Bronson produce to the level Arcia did last year? That's a pretty low bar.

Is it too much to ask that Bronson produce to the level Arcia did last year? That's a pretty low bar.

Settle the heck down. The guy has had a mere 46 ABs and has enough airlines miles logged between Milwaukee and Colorado Springs in the past couple months to earn lifetime platinum status.

Any idea what's going on with Woodruff? Is there an upcoming TBA that might be filled by Woodruff? What's his status? Limbo?

assuming that garza's slot on thursday is not the next tba, saturday's starter (essentially junior guerra's spot) is undetermined.

Comes down to either Jungmann or Woodruff I imagine. Since Woodruff is still technically on rehab assignment, he's probably the guy. Either way though it's just temporary with 2 starts max. Anderson is close to a rehab assignment and hopefully all goes well and he's back in a couple weeks. Of course by then Garza will probably come up with some other ailment.

Settle the heck down. The guy has had a mere 46 ABs and has enough airlines miles logged between Milwaukee and Colorado Springs in the past couple months to earn lifetime platinum status.

That doesn't matter. When someone has an agenda, you will never have legitimate debate. Point of view has never been objective, so this is what you're going to get. Agenda here is that rebuilding is wrong, and will never work.

Comes down to either Jungmann or Woodruff I imagine. Since Woodruff is still technically on rehab assignment, he's probably the guy. Either way though it's just temporary with 2 starts max. Anderson is close to a rehab assignment and hopefully all goes well and he's back in a couple weeks. Of course by then Garza will probably come up with some other ailment.

Is Woodruff on rehab assignment? I thought they sent him down.

Lewis Brinson (first 54 MLB PAs) 109/241/283 (523 OPS)

Orlando Arcia (first 54 MLB PAs) 184/259/245 (504 OPS)

You literally cannot make this stuff up.

Yah not to mention very little of those ABs were logged in consecutive starts/days. Experienced MLB players struggle with random playing time. His stats now mean as much as if he was hitting .400.

Keeping in mind it is way easier to hit everyday(what Arcia did) vs. sporadic playing time that Lewis Brinson got check this out:

wRC+ through 54 PAs:

Brinson=31

Arcia=34

**This doesn't even take into account Lewis Brinson's .111 BABIP!!** Orlando Arcia was at least sporting a .231 BABIP.

Briggs do a little research next time cause he is actually doing better than Arcia if you ask me.

I'm really not worried about Brinson, he's had some hard hit balls that were bad luck outs. He's young, probably over excited, he passes more of an eye test for me offensively than Arcia or Broxton. Regular playing time would be a good thing. Defensively, I like what I've seen.

Is Woodruff on rehab assignment? I thought they sent him down.

sent on rehab assignment 15 july. could've kept him on the rehab assignment for 30 days, but he would have earned major league pay and service time for that entire duration. they activated him from the disabled list and optioned him on 24 july. he's now earning the minor league portion of his pay, but the clock is ticking on burning his first option if he stays optioned beyond 20 days.

Archived