Brewer Fanatic

Brinson recalled, Garza to DL (leg strain)

There's been lots of speculation, so I'm sure this did get funny at times. But I don't think it has been over the top. Nobody (I don't think) has guaranteed X is going to happen, or Brinson is being traded, etc. Just people throwing out ideas of what all this could mean.

Brinson gets removed in the 1st inning, Brewers are talking to various teams about a trade, and they wait for 3 hours before game time to announce Garza to DL. All those things are true, so it's fair for all of us to speculate what it could mean.

In fact, I still don't believe it's as simple as Brinson up, Garza to DL. They could have announced that long ago. I would bet $5 (I'm cheap) that a trade was or still is in the works, or even fell through. If it got done, they were set with a plan. Since it didn't (at least not yet) plan B was Garza to DL.

That absolutely could be true. If no move is made though, I'm curious what makes the start tomorrow. I doubt a new acquisition would be able to make it to DC to make the start so quickly if a trade happened tonight. Minor league options that line up best are Espino and Burnes. It's almost certainly Espino, but a guy can dream right?

Wouldn't Suter make the start tomorrow? He'd be on regular rest. The problem is the weekend series vs. the Cubs. Do they really want to go with Guerra and some rookie in the first two games of the biggest series in 3 years?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom‏ @Haudricourt 42m42 minutes ago

Right now, #Brewers list TBA as pitcher for Thursday against Nationals and Suter still on Friday at home against Cubs.

If it's tomorrow, Blazek threw 0.1 IP Sunday so could be good to go, Hader 1.2 IP so maybe. Espino pitched Saturday so he's available (cringe). Woodruff 0.2 IP Monday and roughed up badly; possibly needs time to settle back in after the DL stint. If DS and CC are feeling a little too ballsy, Burnes last pitched Saturday. Jungmann threw 6 innings today, so not an option for tomorrow or Saturday.

WAS has a lefty today and Cubs do on Friday. Cubs have righties Sat/Sun so Brinson could go down Saturday if they bring a starter up for that game. But without a trade I think they'll clean the garbage out of the pen instead.

There's been lots of speculation, so I'm sure this did get funny at times. But I don't think it has been over the top. Nobody (I don't think) has guaranteed X is going to happen, or Brinson is being traded, etc. Just people throwing out ideas of what all this could mean.

Brinson gets removed in the 1st inning, Brewers are talking to various teams about a trade, and they wait for 3 hours before game time to announce Garza to DL. All those things are true, so it's fair for all of us to speculate what it could mean.

In fact, I still don't believe it's as simple as Brinson up, Garza to DL. They could have announced that long ago. I would bet $5 (I'm cheap) that a trade was or still is in the works, or even fell through. If it got done, they were set with a plan. Since it didn't (at least not yet) plan B was Garza to DL.

That absolutely could be true. If no move is made though, I'm curious what makes the start tomorrow. I doubt a new acquisition would be able to make it to DC to make the start so quickly if a trade happened tonight. Minor league options that line up best are Espino and Burnes. It's almost certainly Espino, but a guy can dream right?

Wouldn't Suter make the start tomorrow? He'd be on regular rest. The problem is the weekend series vs. the Cubs. Do they really want to go with Guerra and some rookie in the first two games of the biggest series in 3 years?

Because of what you just said I would hope Suter gets held back a day and we only have one uncertainty for Chicago instead of 2. Throw a new guy tomorrow against Washington.

*edit* Just reading the posts above me. Looks like Blazek tomorrow, Suter Friday. I'm ok with that I think!

Blazek will be starting tomorrow

Milwaukee Brewers‏Verified account

@Brewers

RHP Michael Blazek will make the start tomorrow in Washington for the injured Matt Garza. #MILatWSH

4:10 PM - 26 Jul 2017 from Washington, DC

Bleh, would have preferred Wilkerson or a spot start from Hader. Which probably means Blaze will go 6 scoreless.

So it looks like a legit injury to Garza and they probably had to kick around what to do about it. Decided after the game to just roll with Blazek instead of the minor league options to bring someone up, so then just got Brinson instead of a P since the bullpen is fresh.

Seriously?? Blazek in the midst of a pennant race?? Sure, he's facing mad max, but there's no guarantees Max will just mow the Brewers down. Why the hell do you "punt" a spot in the rotation, ASSUMING you will lose tomorrow anyway?? In the middle of a pennant race?? Now would be the PERFECT time to go acquire a starter.

Seriously?? Blazek in the midst of a pennant race?? Sure, he's facing mad max, but there's no guarantees Max will just mow the Brewers down. Why the hell do you "punt" a spot in the rotation, ASSUMING you will lose tomorrow anyway?? In the middle of a pennant race?? Now would be the PERFECT time to go acquire a starter.

There he is. Missed you man. Was waiting all day for you to chime in.

There he is. Missed you man. Was waiting all day for you to chime in.

Hopefully less than a week left to go and permanent silence.

Seems kind of like bad timing that their other minor league options don't line up. Bad luck, and what better day to punt a day than vs Scherzer when you probably only had a 15-20% chance anyway. Just need the W tonight.

Seems kind of like bad timing that their other minor league options don't line up. Bad luck, and what better day to punt a day than vs Scherzer when you probably only had a 15-20% chance anyway. Just need the W tonight.

They could have thrown Suter tomorrow easily on normal rest. None of those options match up the next two days? Really?

There are also no guarantees that Blazek will pitch poorly.

There is also no way to know that the Brewers assume they will lose tomorrow and as such are punting a spot in the rotation, that is all conjecture on your part.

There is also no way to know that the Brewers assume they will lose tomorrow and as such are punting a spot in the rotation, that is all conjecture on your part.

Also it would have to be a starter ready to pitch Saturday which eliminates ~80% of the options.

They could have thrown Suter tomorrow easily on normal rest. None of those options match up the next two days? Really?

Didn't someone just post the normal options we'd think of and it didn't work out? I thought so anyway. Then you look into when you'd rather have your bad option go, vs Scherzer when you likely won't win anyway or vs Cubs and a winnable game vs Hendricks, obviously just way more important since it's the Cubs.

ETA: it was that Jungmann didn't work. And Woodruff got beat up. No one said when Wilkerson pitched last that I saw. But then you're left with Wilkerson, Espino, or pulling Burnes from AA. They probably figured one game out of Blazek is just as good an option as that and now they can do it tomorrow (with a fully rested pen) instead of vs Cubs.

Strange way going about this situation if you ask me.

Agreed. The sequencing of things is just weird and most likely it's nothing and it's weird just because people are imperfect and it's just the way it worked out.

That said, if Garza is truly hurt would your first reaction be to call up Brinson? From the other side of things: you really needed Brinson up this series yet so badly that you pulled him mid-game... to face Gio today?

Just all very bizarre, but it least we've had some entertainment out of it.

Also it would have to be a starter ready to pitch Saturday which eliminates ~80% of the options.

Well, I'm pretty sure Sonny Gray's next Start would be Saturday, and Justin Verlander's is Sunday..soooo yeah there's that.

He's not making a trade based on Saturday's starter. Good God.

I'm pretty sure he was just having fun.

This has been a much about nothing day so we could all use a drink.

Now keep pounding those Nats.

Forgive me if this was brought up before, I did my best to read all 14 pages of this thread, but must admit I skimmed thru a few. Is it at all possible that there was an imminent trade or a trade that fell apart? As others have said, the timing of Brinson's exit from CS is beyond bizarre. I feel that this situation was butchered badly.

I feel that this situation was butchered badly.

I don't know what time you are supposed to decide a prospect is "ready", but Id speculate Stearns at some point knew he had to make a roster move, thought about it and waited until the last second possible to make the decision.

I know the general thought is Brinson will need an adjustment period that was reinforced by his brief trial earlier this year, but Im not convinced. He could be a substantial upgrade the rest of the way. He seemed to figure out the K:BB after he went back down and is literally destroying the baseball.

Nothing in baseball is certain but we just got a substantial upgrade at a position in which we are 27th in WRC and 29th in WAR.

Archived