Brewer Fanatic

Brinson recalled, Garza to DL (leg strain)

Brinson being brought back up. No word on the corresponding move.

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 8m8 minutes ago

sources: top CF prospect lewis brinson is not being traded but is headed back up to rejoin the brewers

Let the speculation begin

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with Swarzak on his way to town and Brinson being recalled, which 2 players go?

Gotta figure at least one pitcher on the way out. Is it a release, trade, demotion?

Is Brinson simply being swapped for Phillips with a stretch of lefty opponents coming up?

Is this the start of a L/R CF platoon between Brinson and Phillips the rest of the way?

Is Phillips about to be traded? Someone else?

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Yes indeed. I would imagine either Wily or Torres are on there way out. I have no idea for the positional side. Hard to image Brinson is getting called up again to ride the pine.

Pretty interesting that Brinson was taken out in the 1st inning as well. You would think the F.O. would have just called him up without him playing in the top of the 1st if there wasn't an injury/trade coming.

Swapping him with Phillips makes sense, but at the same time doesn't. If that was the plan Brinson should never had played. This move seemed pretty orchestrated to happen after Counsell was done talking to reporters, right? Quite the coincidence if so.

Trade, injury, matchups, something else? Oh the madness.

I agree with TPlush, if the plan all along was to bring Brinson up to face the lefties, no way do you start him in the game tonight and pull him after half an inning. I think we are looking at two possibilities. One, Braun was pulled tonight not because of the lead, but because he tweaked something and they fear he's going to be on the DL. Or, there is a trade in the works. Maybe Stearns wanted one last look at Sonny Gray tonight and liked what he saw. Oakland wants a CF prospect, that much is known. Maybe it's gonna end up that we're getting Verlander somehow before his next start?

If I were a betting man, I would lean toward last night's game being the last time we see Maverick play for us. :(

I just have this feeling that what if Swarzak is replacing Hader who is heading to Oakland with Phillips for Gray?

Let me add some fuel to the fire. I think Villar is part of a deal to Detroit for Wilson/Kinlser meaning Perez is needed to play 2B vs. lefties and isn't available to platoon in CF with Phillips. In the short term both Peralta and Torres or even Blazek are gone and they go with 12 pitchers too.

bring out the popcorn, it gun git good

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Bullpen should be relatively fresh at this point, so could be a move to a 12-man pitching staff for a while, i.e Swarzak and Brinson replacing two pitchers. But yeah, the timing of it and this clearly not being a planned move would suggest injury or trade. Or, far less likely, a Miguel Montero situation or something else off-field.. Whatever the case, it's hard to guess what's going on. You'd think it's an outfielder who will be absent. But with Perez being the 4th OF, him being needed in the infield (If this concerns Villar, Sogard, Arcia, Shaw) would also necessitate an OF being called up.

Whatever the reason may be, I hope the promotion is permanent and Lewis gets a chance to adapt to the majors. Should be an interesting day regardless!

So if this were a call up to replace an injured outfielder, would they not just call up Broxton? He'd be allowed to be recalled due to injury inside of the 10 day window. In other words, if Brinson is coming up now, it has to be to play everyday from here on out, right? If there is no trade and Brinson is an injury replacement then Broxton is basically done as a Brewers.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

So if this were a call up to replace an injured outfielder, would they not just call up Broxton? He'd be allowed to be recalled due to injury inside of the 10 day window. In other words, if Brinson is coming up now, it has to be to play everyday from here on out, right? If there is no trade and Brinson is an injury replacement then Broxton is basically done as a Brewers.

Keon Broxton was just sent down after brutal hitting for an extended period of time. Maybe they just don't want him back right now. They already called Brinson up before to just be a quick fill in so, no, I don't see why he would have to play every day from here on out.

Considering the timing, after the Brewers game was completed, is a failed drug test possible? I'm guessing the results are not immediate, but possible they were informed after the game about a failed test from a previous day?

Not trying to start rumors or anything, as I'm not saying I think this is the case. Just throwing out another possible explanation. More likely someone is being traded today, or Phillips goes back down.

Takes quite awhile to get test results back. Not to mention most if not all players appeal their suspension. So the only way they would have such coordinated planning over a suspension is if said player opened an appeal and now told the Brewers they are dropping it to accept punishment. I hope the Brewers say something soon because we are getting into some crazy theories.

It just seems very strange to find the need to pull Brinson unless he is connected to trade rumors if you ask me. I don't think he is, but just weird for them to pull him like that given the other options. OF emergency at the MLB level not related to trade? I'd just be really surprised if this proves to be a simple Phillips/Brinson swap.

Let me add some fuel to the fire. I think Villar is part of a deal to Detroit for Wilson/Kinlser meaning Perez is needed to play 2B vs. lefties and isn't available to platoon in CF with Phillips. In the short term both Peralta and Torres or even Blazek are gone and they go with 12 pitchers too.

I hope not. Perez has been awful since may. He has swung at like 50% of the pitches he's seen. Awful.

I think the likelier scenario is a combination of Phillips being involved in a possible trade, and logistically getting Brinson from Colorado Springs to the East Coast for tonight's game. Getting Brinson into D.C. late last night helps with ironing out a trade that includes Phillips today - if that trade doesn't come to fruition the Brewers can just option Phillips back to Co Springs.

There's no way this situation happens if there aren't trade scenarios developing. I don't think they include Brinson, because if it did the trade would've already happened after he left the game.

Bullpen should be relatively fresh at this point, so could be a move to a 12-man pitching staff for a while, i.e Swarzak and Brinson replacing two pitchers. ....!

This is my best guess as well. Yes, the timing is odd but that doesn't mean much. Probably just needing to meet to discuss who the moving parts will be.

Takes quite awhile to get test results back. Not to mention most if not all players appeal their suspension. So the only way they would have such coordinated planning over a suspension is if said player opened an appeal and now told the Brewers they are dropping it to accept punishment. I hope the Brewers say something soon because we are getting into some crazy theories.

also keep in mind that if it were a position player possibly being suspended and appealing, the club would've likely moved back to a 12-man pitching staff to give the potential replacement player some more experience before considering keeping him to replace the suspended player (or look elsewhere).

Bullpen should be relatively fresh at this point, so could be a move to a 12-man pitching staff for a while, i.e Swarzak and Brinson replacing two pitchers. ....!

This is my best guess as well. Yes, the timing is odd but that doesn't mean much. Probably just needing to meet to discuss who the moving parts will be.

Occam would agree but I heard he was a boring dude.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Just seems like this bullpen is still too overworked to drop down to 12. Plus the flexibility they covet in positional players is partly so they can always carry an extra pitcher or two. Adding positional players to the mix at the expense of the pitching staff would also make it harder to give everybody playing time, something they pride themselves on as well. And last but certainly not least, you don't bring Brinson up so either he or Phillips can sit.

Haudricourt opining on Twitter:

Any chance this is for possible trade partners to see him in action in the show?

Tom‏ @Haudricourt 3h3 hours ago No.

They are facing a lot of lefties this week so possibly just want another right handed bat

Tom‏ @Haudricourt 23m23 minutes ago That doesn’t explain pulling Brinson out of game before first at-bat. Pitching probables have been known for several days.

It doesn't make sense because of his injury riddled season--but could Braun be part of trade conversations? Early exit...Brinson pulled?

Tom‏ @Haudricourt 9m9 minutes ago I don't think so. We'll find out later today.

Just seems like this bullpen is still too overworked to drop down to 12. Plus the flexibility they covet in positional players is partly so they can always carry an extra pitcher or two. Adding positional players to the mix at the expense of the pitching staff would also make it harder to give everybody playing time, something they pride themselves on as well. And last but certainly not least, you don't bring Brinson up so either he or Phillips can sit.

It's Late season..... we need to have our best players up.

It just seems very strange to find the need to pull Brinson unless he is connected to trade rumors if you ask me. I don't think he is, but just weird for them to pull him like that given the other options. OF emergency at the MLB level not related to trade? I'd just be really surprised if this proves to be a simple Phillips/Brinson swap.

I agree, I highly doubt it's a simple swap of those guys. I could see the Brewers wanting more outfield depth and a 13th position player and sending Blazek back to AAA(I don't know his option situation), but we also need to clear a spot for Swarzak and then you'd be talking about Peralta/Drake/Torres most likely. I still think the most likely scenario is a trade of sorts.

Archived