Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Swarzak from White Sox for Ryan Cordell

owbc
What happened to acquiring controllable talent?

A 25 year old prospect for a 31 year old rental.

Swarzak is having a tremendous year but this isn't really supposed to be the plan

I think the thought process is that Cordell won't help the team this year and won't be protected on the 40 next ... same thing with Cooper. Swarzak has no future control so this one is a little tougher... but it is a positive on the major league squad for a bit whereas Cordell would have gotten taken next year in the Rule 5 and therefore provided nothing.

I think anyway...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit--- this was supposed to be in response to the REMINDS ME OF LINEBRINK TRADE comment. I'm still figuring this formatting out.

With the Linebrink trade, however, we gave up three players, those of which consisted a much higher percentage of our farm's worth compared to Cordell.

This reminds me of the 2007 Ray Durham trade. We sent two fringe prospects who had a possible mlb future for a dude that had two months left and was at the bottom end of the 25 man roster.

Yeah I don't see the similarity. They traded the 2, 11 and 25th best prospect on the power 50 at the time in the Linebrink trade. Would be more along the line of trading Woodruff, Clark and Pennington for a reliever rental.

What happened to acquiring controllable talent?

A 25 year old prospect for a 31 year old rental.

Swarzak is having a tremendous year but this isn't really supposed to be the plan

I think the thought process is that Cordell won't help the team this year and won't be protected on the 40 next ... same thing with Cooper. Swarzak has no future control so this one is a little tougher... but it is a positive on the major league squad for a bit whereas Cordell would have gotten taken next year in the Rule 5 and therefore provided nothing.

I think anyway...

I get that part. We have too many meh guys in the minors. Good enough where you'd lose them eventually in Rule 5 but not good enough to make a big difference at the MLB level. A deep farm system isn't really a compliment if the depth isn't sprinkled with 60's.

The issue I have is the guy we traded for is 31 and will only be here two months. I thought the entire DS plan was to acquire controllable talent? Swarzak isn't controllable and by definition Cordell really wasn't either based on the 40 man.

I thought the process was to add talent to the major league team without handcuffing the prospects. Cordell was not a significant part of our future and we got a RP who is better than other guys who have been traded this season for him.

I thought the process was to add talent to the major league team without handcuffing the prospects. Cordell was not a significant part of our future and we got a RP who is better than other guys who have been traded this season for him.

2 months rentals was not the plan. It was young controllable talent, or so I thought.

2 months rentals was not the plan. It was young controllable talent, or so I thought.

The cost would be prohibitive. Let's see what Hand gets for the Padres. If I'm looking at it right, he's got 2 or 3 years left after this year. Also, look back at what thornburg got for us.

A good GM will not be rigid to anything. I'd love for Stearns to win every trade and fleece the league. I'd love for him to get controllable talent at every turn but this is a different time in the process. Cordell did not have a future. How else would he be able to help the Brewers more than this? If this reliever is the market for Cordell, that's all we can get for him.

I've been hoping from the beginnng of this trading season that they make a few adjustments and let what we already have do the major work. I don't want huge splashes because it means giving up too much talent.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

I'm higher on Cordell than most, so I dont like this. But I do get it. If this same trade was for Wren I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

Saw this in a tweet

Cordell in Colorado Springs: 1.059 OPS

Cordell not in Colorado Springs: .673 OPS

So given our depth in the OF and that Miller Park is not one mile above sea level I have absolutely no problem with the trade.

Any chance we try to extend him right off the bat so it isn't a rental?

I have no idea what his market would be. 2/10?

I would hope they do this because we really need 3 or 4 more arms in the bullpen and we can't expect them to all come from the farm system.

I'm higher on Cordell than most, so I dont like this. But I do get it. If this same trade was for Wren I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

Saw this in a tweet

So given our depth in the OF and that Miller Park is not one mile above sea level I have absolutely no problem with the trade.

You do have to be careful with this. Assuming it is anything like pre humidor Coors the reality was usually in between the new numbers, not closer to the away OPS. Hitters tend to play better at home to begin with even in pitchers parks and when you get used to a goofy park it affects you when you go on the road.

Eh, a GM needs to be flexible. The most likely path for Cordell was that he would go unprotected in the rule 5 draft and someone like the Padres would pick him. If the likely choice is to lose him for nothing or trade him for something we might be able to use this season, then I think Stearns made the right move.

Now, if it were a prospect with more upside and a potential future with the team, then yeah, controllable talent would be ideal.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Haniger is playing in the majors and a lot of people thought he wouldnt amount to anything...I dont like the trade for a 3 month rental. I would be surprised if he signed with Brewers after this year, going to be looking for a large contract somewhere. Stearns, what is your definition of young?

Saw this in a tweet

You do have to be careful with this. Assuming it is anything like pre humidor Coors the reality was usually in between the new numbers, not closer to the away OPS. Hitters tend to play better at home to begin with even in pitchers parks and when you get used to a goofy park it affects you when you go on the road.

I get that but we are talking almost a .400 point split.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It's been pretty obvious that since the break, the biggest weakness on this roster is the bullpen. How many close games has this team lost late? Swarzak likely came cheaper than Neshek. As for controllable assets the Brewers have a roster full of them. Whether they still make a move for a starter is anyone's guess but it might depend on how close Anderson is to returning. Getting him back will be like making a deal. I still have a bunch Wilson is in play too and taking on Kinsler's salary​ is part of it.

Don't really like how people shrug off Cordell because we were going to lose him in the Rule 5 draft anyway. That is true if we didn't trade him, but this was not our only trade option. We could have gotten a prospect(s) in return or something more controllable I am sure. Could have been a plethora of options this winter before the Rule 5 draft. Can't just consider a trade a win because we traded away a player we were going to lose in the Rule 5 draft(Cooper/Cordell) and ignore the fact other options were surely available now or in the future.

Not saying I don't like the trade, but not sure one can just shrug off the loss of Cordell like it was nothing. Decent price to pay for a rental reliever with no track record.

Don't really like how people shrug off Cordell because we were going to lose him in the Rule 5 draft anyway.

cordell is on the 40-man roster. in order for him to be eligible for the rule 5 draft, he'd have to be outrighted to the minor leagues. but in order to be outrighted, he'd have to clear waivers. if another team claimed him, they'd just need an open 40-man spot and could option him this year and in 2018 (plus another season). if they got him via rule 5, they'd need an open 40-man spot and would not be able to option him at all in 2018.

Man people like to complain. This is exactly the type of trade I thought they'd do and they should do, doesn't risk any significant future pieces while improving our biggest weakness this year. Sure it would've been nice if the guy was controlled for next year too, but then it likely would've cost more. Then people would complain we'd given too much up and risking the future. They traded a guy who was likely never going to play in MKE due to the OF depth ahead of him (and they had a good shot at losing after this season for nothing) to help make a push now, I don't see how anyone can complain about it.

Can't hold onto all the prospects. Some people liked Cordell, some people were meh on him, but either way he was definitely behind Brinson and Phillips in the eyes of Stearns. Couple that with Braun being cemented in left and Santana being cemented in right, this is a no brainer to go and even trade for a rental who is having good success this season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don't really like how people shrug off Cordell because we were going to lose him in the Rule 5 draft anyway. That is true if we didn't trade him, but this was not our only trade option. We could have gotten a prospect(s) in return or something more controllable I am sure. Could have been a plethora of options this winter before the Rule 5 draft. Can't just consider a trade a win because we traded away a player we were going to lose in the Rule 5 draft(Cooper/Cordell) and ignore the fact other options were surely available now or in the future.

Not saying I don't like the trade, but not sure one can just shrug off the loss of Cordell like it was nothing. Decent price to pay for a rental reliever with no track record.

Bottom line, if the Brewers didn't want to keep him on the 40-man and protect him from the Rule 5, then get something for him, right? You say a prospect for prospect flip, the Brewers said let's get immediate help for the big club. Getting back controllable talent just kicks the can down the road. The Brewers are having difficulty finding spots on the field for their talent at all levels. If not a 40 man roster crunch this year, you're setting one up in future years. Yes, postponing making hard decisions on who to protect buys you time and things can change. But it doesn't change the fact that at some point you have to use your prospects to improve the major league team. And given that, what better time than one of the years you're in the playoff race.

There are 2 other things to remember. This trade tells us that other teams view a player around #17 in our system as worthy of one of their rentals. Controllable big league talent apparently costs more, as it should. And second, with this many prospects to pick from the Brewers have no doubt prioritized them internally. Cordell obviously wasn't in future plans. Unfortunately some of the shine has come off on some of these guys, but the Brewers still have a deep system. They're deep, just not with high impact talent.

Haniger is playing in the majors and a lot of people thought he wouldnt amount to anything

Haniger also completely reworked his swing, and it remains to be seen if he'll have long term major league impact. I get your point, but there was an excellent chance that he would have not amounted to much had he stayed in Milwaukee.

Archived