Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Swarzak from White Sox for Ryan Cordell

owbc
perfect, shows that DS has a price and will not overpay no matter what ownership wants. the brewers got 2 arms and really have up 2 fringe prospects. i would love to see those that freaking out about Cordell's reaction when the brewers got him less than a year ago.

I am OK with giving up players like Cordell to go for a division title while still keeping all top prospects in the organization.

How does this prove that? I like DS too, but sometimes I feel like many people are just acting like everything he does is magical.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not impressed. Hopefully Swarzak figured something out because I watched plenty of his mediocre pitching in Minnesota the past several years. He's another Carlos Torres imo.

Look at his stats for 10 seconds and you'll realize he is no longer the guy who pitched for the Twins. He went from a 6.5 K/9 to consistently around 9. He has changed from someone who relies heavily on his fastball to one that is over 50% sliders. It probably doesn't bode well for his long term health but I'd say anything you saw with the Twins doesn't really matter at this point. I am going to assume he is the 2nd or 3rd best RP on the team from today on just looking at the raw stats.

I feel like this has to be a precursor to another move. This alone doesnt improve the team to the point where theyre good enough yet, and you dont trade Cordell, blocked or not, for two months of swarzak if youre not going for it.

I agree, I think it's a clear indicator they are buying. At least to some extent. I would expect some additional moves. While the 20 innings or so he might pitch yet this season will be an improvement, it likely won't be enough to move the needle.

What is up with the cynicism in this thread? You're supposed to be fans.

This is a low cost acquisition that DOES improve this team and at the cost of an OF'er blocked by 6 other guys. I still think DS makes more moves, but this is a starting point and the exact deal we should be making to sure up the middle of the pen. We moved someone who would never be an impact player in Milwaukee for someone who will be, even if just for a half year... A half year we weren't even supposed to compete in. For real, enjoy the ride.

Now go get Wilson, Verlander and Kinsler and Gray and make a serious run at this thing! And you can likely do that without "emptying the farm".

For your sake, I hope your employer doesn't drug test.

Well incase you missed it, the talks between the Yankees and A's for Gray SEEM to be centering on a Yankees prospect that is ranked #71 over all and another that's not even in the top 100. So if that's all it's going to take, that's not even close to emptying the farm. That's like equal Ray and Dubon or Ortiz. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

As I said when we acquired Cordell, his bat renders him useless. He's 25 and has only been OK with the bat this year despite playing half his games on the moon.

I'm glad we cashed him in. Good move. No room for him on the 40 man roster here. Good return too compared to other deals.

When evaluating his bat, keep in mind he has been a career CF until he was acquired by the Brewers. He was moved to the corners because he's behind Brinson on the CF depth chart.

I've been questioning the "brewers will trade for gray" rumors. This type of deal is exactly what I was hoping for. Trade from our depth we won't use and don't have room for and get something that will help. It's not a franchise altering trade, but improves our biggest deficiency.

Go DS!

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Is it enough to push you off the board and/or internet?

Not even close...I will wait until next Monday..but if this is his only move, I guarantee you I'm out. What a joke.

Can you just be out now?

He probably is wearing a non Brewers cap as he types.... (smirks to team hat thread)

Now go get Wilson, Verlander and Kinsler and Gray and make a serious run at this thing! And you can likely do that without "emptying the farm".

For your sake, I hope your employer doesn't drug test.

Well incase you missed it, the talks between the Yankees and A's for Gray SEEM to be centering on a Yankees prospect that is ranked #71 over all and another that's not even in the top 100. So if that's all it's going to take, that's not even close to emptying the farm. That's like equal Ray and Dubon or Ortiz. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The A's will get a king's ransom for Sonny Gray.

I've been questioning the "brewers will trade for gray" rumors. This type of deal is exactly what I was hoping for. Trade from our depth we won't use and don't have room for and get something that will help. It's not a franchise altering trade, but improves our biggest deficiency.

Go DS!

The problem is, he isn't under control, and barely moves the needle for contending this year. More is still needed otherwise this move looks questionable at best(though Cordell is no big deal).

I'm in the this is a solid move crowd. Given the losing streak a big trade looks less likely, but addressing an obvious weakness for a middle of the road guy at your deepest position and likely to get caught in a roster crunch is a pretty low price to pay.

What is up with the cynicism in this thread? You're supposed to be fans.

This is a low cost acquisition that DOES improve this team and at the cost of an OF'er blocked by 6 other guys. I still think DS makes more moves, but this is a starting point and the exact deal we should be making to sure up the middle of the pen. We moved someone who would never be an impact player in Milwaukee for someone who will be, even if just for a half year... A half year we weren't even supposed to compete in. For real, enjoy the ride.

What this guy said... good deal that helps us without giving up much from an area of strength... possibly not on 40 man next year anyway. Wren can play more now.

As far as I can tell, Swarzak is making 900k this season and will have make approximately 4.2 million as a major leaguer during his MLB career. Have to wonder if he'd take a decent guaranteed salary for next year and pass on free agency. His agent is Jet Sports who I know nothing about. Wonder if something like a 2018 salary of 4.5 million and a 2019 salary of 6.5 million with a 1.25 buyout for that second year. Looking at his 2017 statistics would lead one to believe he'd pass, but when looking at his career statistics a guaranteed 5.75 million might be enough to make him say yes.

As far as I can tell, Swarzak is making 900k this season and will have make approximately 4.2 million as a major leaguer during his MLB career. Have to wonder if he'd take a decent guaranteed salary for next year and pass on free agency. His agent is Jet Sports who I know nothing about. Wonder if something like a 2018 salary of 4.5 million and a 2019 salary of 6.5 million with a 1.25 buyout for that second year. Looking at his 2017 statistics would lead one to believe he'd pass, but when looking at his career statistics a guaranteed 5.75 million might be enough to make him say yes.

Hmm, I don't know but I'm cool with him just being here this season. Maybe they take a look as a FA, but I'd let the market decide what he's worth. His numbers look like he's figured something out this season but his limited track record makes me not really too interested in trying to extend a 30-something middle reliever for any significant amount of money.

Edit--- this was supposed to be in response to the REMINDS ME OF LINEBRINK TRADE comment. I'm still figuring this formatting out.

With the Linebrink trade, however, we gave up three players, those of which consisted a much higher percentage of our farm's worth compared to Cordell.

This reminds me of the 2007 Ray Durham trade. We sent two fringe prospects who had a possible mlb future for a dude that had two months left and was at the bottom end of the 25 man roster.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Community Moderator
Swarzak's 48.1 innings pitched this season ranks him 18th on the list of most innings pitched among relievers this season. The Brewers now have three players among the 25 most used relievers in baseball this season which in addition to Swarzak also includes Torres (50.1 IP) and Knebel (46.1 IP).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived