Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Swarzak from White Sox for Ryan Cordell

owbc
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[sarcasm][/sarcasm]LOL Way to go DS!! this will certainly push the Brewers over the top! HUGE Trade.

Is it enough to push you off the board and/or internet?

Not even close...I will wait until next Monday..but if this is his only move, I guarantee you I'm out. What a joke.

Can you just be out now?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]LOL Way to go DS!! this will certainly push the Brewers over the top! HUGE Trade.

Is it enough to push you off the board and/or internet?

Not even close...I will wait until next Monday..but if this is his only move, I guarantee you I'm out. What a joke.

You don't have to wait until next Monday, don't let the door hit your derriere on the way out.

Prefer more control as well, but this is a pretty good deal from my side. Swarzak makes this team better, and Cordell wasn't going to be a significant part of the future.

Like it more if Swarzak is re-signable. He might be. Making 900K per BR. Could probably extend for what? 2.5 if they like what they get in August/September? My biggest worry is that he hasn't figured much out and is the guy from last year instead of this year. We'll see. Worth a shot, anyway. Position of strength for position of need.

I'd like it a lot more if Swarzak was controlled beyond this season. If Swarzak pitches lights out the rest of the way and helps us into the playoffs, great deal. Otherwise, kind of a waste of an asset. I don't think he's going to be enough by himself.

As I said when we acquired Cordell, his bat renders him useless. He's 25 and has only been OK with the bat this year despite playing half his games on the moon.

I'm glad we cashed him in. Good move. No room for him on the 40 man roster here. Good return too compared to other deals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Kind of reminds me of when we traded for Scott Linebrink back in the day. Hope the results are a bit better.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator
I am fully expecting whoever the White Sox new closer is to blow back to back saves against the Cubs the next 2 games. Because that's just how things would seem to go for us.

Haha, that thought crossed my mind as well. Funny how a week of losing games can feed into the paranoia that this move could have such an adverse consequence.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Writing was on the wall when the Brewers promoted Phillips and Brinson ahead of Cordell despite Cordell being 2 years older. Especially when, at the time, the Brewers were just looking for outfield depth and that's how Cordell profiled. Pretty much said everything about how the Brewer's viewed Cordell's long-term future with the franchise. Personally, I would have rather held onto Cordell as a potential third or fourth piece in a bigger deal...I think he may have more value there. But if Stearns has moved on from Sonny Gray and isn't thinking there is a big Brewer trade on the horizon, it was probably just best to move Cordell now.

I have no problem with Swarzak but not crazy about this deal. Would have rather gotten a reliever that is controlled beyond this season. But if Swarzak signs an extension before free agency (not a crazy idea since he doesn't have a solid, consistent MLB track record), then this seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Cordell has been on the DL for almost a month. Can they trade someone on the DL, or does that only apply to the MLB DL? Or is he considered a PTBNL?

I thought the same thing and wondered if maybe that's why the broadcast hasn't mentioned anything yet. Waiting on medicals to make it official.

I feel like this has to be a precursor to another move. This alone doesnt improve the team to the point where theyre good enough yet, and you dont trade Cordell, blocked or not, for two months of swarzak if youre not going for it.

Most definitely. More minor type moves would be my guess.

perfect, shows that DS has a price and will not overpay no matter what ownership wants. the brewers got 2 arms and really have up 2 fringe prospects. i would love to see those that freaking out about Cordell's reaction when the brewers got him less than a year ago.

I am OK with giving up players like Cordell to go for a division title while still keeping all top prospects in the organization.

Archived