Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Midseason 2017 Top 30 (MLB pipeline)

adambr2

This list is just full of surprises:

Corey Ray still at #2

Hiura ahead of Diaz and in the Top 100

Lutz at #8

KJ ahead of Gatewood/Nottingham

Lemons almost in top 20

Bickford dropped all the way to 25 (this seems way unfair to me)

27-30 are all surprises and seem like they could've easily been other names, but I don't have any problems with those guys and would take the experts' word for it.

Hiura's going to be a fun story I think. Hopefully a fast riser like Burnes, but with a better prospect pedigree. If he keeps hitting and a few promotions happen, it probably won't be long before he tops this list.

Is Lemons expected to pitch at all this season?

Brewers system is kind of trending in the wrong direction. Brinson does his job, Burns & Peralta been dealing, Gatewood & Harrison are showing growth, Hiura/Lutz have both been off to nice starts to their career..... however, most of our other Top 20+ prospects have done very little to improve stock, with many dropping. Very disappointing when you see talents like Diaz, Clark, Erceg, Diplan, and etc who are top 100 talents if not Top 50 or lower based on potential but are doing as little as possible to live up to that. Been disappointing season so far.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

This list is just full of surprises:

Corey Ray still at #2

Hiura ahead of Diaz and in the Top 100

Lutz at #8

KJ ahead of Gatewood/Nottingham

Lemons almost in top 20

Bickford dropped all the way to 25 (this seems way unfair to me)

27-30 are all surprises and seem like they could've easily been other names, but I don't have any problems with those guys and would take the experts' word for it.

Hiura's going to be a fun story I think. Hopefully a fast riser like Burnes, but with a better prospect pedigree. If he keeps hitting and a few promotions happen, it probably won't be long before he tops this list.

I'm also shocked to see Ortiz over both Woodruff and Burnes. I also missed whenever it was thst Hader lost prospect eligibility.

Is Lemons expected to pitch at all this season?

Brewers system is kind of trending in the wrong direction. Brinson does his job, Burns & Peralta been dealing, Gatewood & Harrison are showing growth, Hiura/Lutz have both been off to nice starts to their career..... however, most of our other Top 20+ prospects have done very little to improve stock, with many dropping. Very disappointing when you see talents like Diaz, Clark, Erceg, Diplan, and etc who are top 100 talents if not Top 50 or lower based on potential but are doing as little as possible to live up to that. Been disappointing season so far.

I would put Peralta, Supak, Nottingham, and Stokes as showing good growth as well. The bigger names area bit dissapointing though (mainly Ray, Erceg, and Diplan).

So, which prospects fell off the bottom of this list? Kirby, Reed, Lara, T. Williams are some that I'm pretty sure were on the previous list? Who am I missing though? By my count, I believe we have 8 new guys that were added, so I'm apparently missing 4 that must have fallen off.

And, I too am really surprised that Gatewood isn't higher on this list? He's the one guy that has really put up good numbers in Carolina this year, in what really has been a bounce back type year for him. I know it's not a huge jump, but I probably would have slotted him at #15 and then just moved everyone back a spot.

Gatewood's performance (and relative consistency) this year certainly looks even more impressive when you look at all the bigger name prospects around him seriously underperforming, meanwhile Gatewood is continuing his strong performance in a pitcher-friendly park. Right now he seems like probably the only sure promotion to AA for 2018 among that position player group they have there.

I'm a little surprised Bubba Derby didn't find his way back onto this list, but it seems like once you're off this list it's hard to get back on, and if his move back to the rotation is just temporary and he's still viewed as a reliever, then he's not likely to ever end up on any top prospect lists ever again.

Still, looking at this list again today, this is a very strong top 30 with a ton of depth at all levels of our system. I could easily come up with another 10 names that are all deserving of that #30 spot too.

Now that one promotion has happened from the Top 100, we now have 6 in the Top 100 with Diaz at #100. It was said on Twitter than Burnes was directly behind Diaz at #102 when they made the list, so one more promotion and the Brewers will tie the White Sox for most on the list with 7. Lots to be excited about.

Tons of prospects fade and never become anything, but we have a lot of solid success stories in this system this year, particularly with AA/AAA pitching, so I see no reason not to be really excited about this system as a whole.

Archived