Brewer Fanatic

TOP PROSPECTS

yeah I was wrong.. Something people are afraid to say on this forum. Brewers were ranked 8th for both MILB and BA.. quite interesting. Seems like alot of the scouts love Lutz.. i heard rumors that Brewers wanted to draft him in the first.. how he dropped that far is crazy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah I was wrong.. Something people are afraid to say on this forum. Brewers were ranked 8th for both MILB and BA.. quite interesting. Seems like alot of the scouts love Lutz.. i heard rumors that Brewers wanted to draft him in the first.. how he dropped that far is crazy

Nobody cares if your wrong. Everyone on here has been wrong. It was the condescending attitude on the subject for which you were totally and completely wrong on that riles folks up.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Yeah no one cares about someone being wrong on here, I'm wrong almost everyday. It was that bar sports/politics argument style of "I'm 100% right & you are 100% wrong" that I had to poke fun of. None of us know anything for sure we are all just fans at end of the day.... making predictions. Just like a few weeks ago when we all learned that because someone is super connected with people in the organization that Brinson should be up & would outperform everyone (clearly not the case lol).

Yeah, Brewers are super high on Lutz and we are seeing why! They said after the draft that there were people in the room lobbying to take him at 9 but they couldn't pass up Hiura's elite bat. He has came out hot & think he could be a really good player! Just very mature for an 18 both physically & his approach at the plate.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Really enjoyed the research YoungGeezy1 shared in Post #47. One other thing that is striking with Corey Ray is how exaggerated his home/road splits have been this season. He is hitting .221 BA / .298 OBP / .344 SLG (.642 OPS) at Five County Stadium this year. On the road in the Carolina League this season he is .270 BA / .349 OBP / .432 SLG (.782 OPS). That away slash line isn't bad, and is in line with what I think many were hoping to see from him. He will be a candidate for a bounce back season next year in a new environment.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Really enjoyed the research YoungGeezy1 shared in Post #47. One other thing that is striking with Corey Ray is how exaggerated his home/road splits have been this season. He is hitting .221 BA / .298 OBP / .344 SLG (.642 OPS) at Five County Stadium this year. On the road in the Carolina League this season he is .270 BA / .349 OBP / .432 SLG (.782 OPS). That away slash line isn't bad, and is in line with what I think many were hoping to see from him. He will be a candidate for a bounce back season next year in a new environment.

So much focus is on Corey's hitting stats. Don't forget the guy is a valuable fielder and base runner too. Plus by all accounts, he is a great teammate and competitor. This is still a fantastic prospect.

So much focus is on Corey's hitting stats. Don't forget the guy is a valuable fielder and base runner too. Plus by all accounts, he is a great teammate and competitor. This is still a fantastic prospect.

I am not particularly hung up on his hitting stats, but the splits are extreme enough that I thought is was worth pointing out. One additional attribute Corey Ray has been credited with from prospect evaluators is that he takes very professional at-bats in the way he takes pitches, fouls off pitches, works deep into counts, etc.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seems like alot of the scouts love Lutz.. i heard rumors that Brewers wanted to draft him in the first.. how he dropped that far is crazy

Loved that pick from the start. Brewers got their toolsy OFer without spending their first pick on it. He would have been at the top of the first round if he had better speed. Probably will move to RF, but he will provide above average defense there. For a high school guy he could be a fast mover with good plate instincts and already shows in game power.

Nope, uh-uh, no way jose. Until that batting average gets up to some arbitrary number that I deem acceptable, it is a stone cold fact that Ray is a complete and total bust.

Nope, uh-uh, no way jose. Until that batting average gets up to some arbitrary number that I deem acceptable, it is a stone cold fact that Ray is a complete and total bust.

Since July 17th (61 AB), good Corey Ray: AVG .295 OBP .376 and bad Corey Ray 20K in those 61 AB. I still think he will be a very good player, but he needs to lower his K rate. I think, if he can be healthy all year, Ray will show his promise next year.

What I found interesting is that Ray (.219 vs .281), Diaz (.204 vs .259) , and Erceg (.235 vs .256) all have better AVG against left-handed pitching

Clark is a strange case. So many things point to him becoming a great hitter, not just good, but then you see 110k and a .235 average. He's very young for his league though.

Very interested in seeing what happens with him next year. I wonder if he'll start in Biloxi or not.

Clark is a strange case. So many things point to him becoming a great hitter, not just good, but then you see 110k and a .235 average. He's very young for his league though.

Very interested in seeing what happens with him next year. I wonder if he'll start in Biloxi or not.

This is kinda the whole system in nutshell right now. Immense talent but enough warts to make for a lot of question marks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How about Troy Stokes?

Superb OBP skills, found a power stroke, decent speed (87 SB over four seasons).

I think he's probably a slightly better OF prospect than Clark, mostly because he has that power.

Stokes is always going to get downgraded in the eyes of national scouts because of his Caleb Gindl-like size. But if you look it up, as a 21-year-old, Stokes is putting up very similar numbers to what a young Kirby Puckett did in A Ball as a 23-year-old (young Kirby was a threat on the basepaths as well). The measureables are very similar. Granted that's shooting for the moon, but if Stokes ends up being even 75% of Kirby Puckett, you have yourself a valuable major league outfielder.

• 2 weeks later...
How about Troy Stokes?

Superb OBP skills, found a power stroke, decent speed (87 SB over four seasons).

I think he's probably a slightly better OF prospect than Clark, mostly because he has that power.

Stokes is always going to get downgraded in the eyes of national scouts because of his Caleb Gindl-like size. But if you look it up, as a 21-year-old, Stokes is putting up very similar numbers to what a young Kirby Puckett did in A Ball as a 23-year-old (young Kirby was a threat on the basepaths as well). The measureables are very similar. Granted that's shooting for the moon, but if Stokes ends up being even 75% of Kirby Puckett, you have yourself a valuable major league outfielder.

I don't know about comparing Stokes to Kirby Puckett in any way. Kirby Puckett had a .314 Batting Average in A ball and career MLB batting average of .318. Stokes hasn't even sniffed .300 as a professional.

If Stokes played second base I would get excited about him. However, at this point I view him as a small version of Ryan Cordell. Very run of the mill type prospect.

How about Troy Stokes?

I don't know about comparing Stokes to Kirby Puckett in any way. Kirby Puckett had a .314 Batting Average in A ball and career MLB batting average of .318. Stokes hasn't even sniffed .300 as a professional.

If Stokes played second base I would get excited about him. However, at this point I view him as a small version of Ryan Cordell. Very run of the mill type prospect.

Kirby was also a couple years older than Stokes is now when he put up those A ball numbers. Stokes is only 21, and is holding his own at AA. He may not be a top 10-type prospect, but he's no slouch either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Baseball America has updated their organizational rankings and the Brewers drop all the way to...

8th.

I'd have to break out my abacus, but that still does not appear to be "lower half."

Bernie Pleskoff has the Brewers in the lower half... of the top 3 organizations.

It's not offensive prospects that have the Brewers in top 10 of most lists. It's almost all pitching. They've had a number of guys take big steps forward this year offsetting some less than stellar work by their hitters.

Well when we miss a playoff spot this season by one or two games because Stearns refused to trade from our minor league depth, Brewer fans can at least take solace in the fact that the Brewers still have the 8th best farm system in baseball instead of say...the 15th.

Well when we miss a playoff spot this season by one or two games because Stearns refused to trade from our minor league depth, Brewer fans can at least take solace in the fact that the Brewers still have the 8th best farm system in baseball instead of say...the 15th.

The big additions for the Cubs were Quintana and Wilson. Quintana has been exactly who he was for the White Sox, a 4.50 ERA pitcher.

Wilson has been terrible. Almost a walk an inning and a 2 WHIP. 5.56 ERA.

Curious as to who we missed out on that would have been such a positive impact so far or helped the offense score more runs.

Archived