Brewer Fanatic

TOP PROSPECTS

Some of y'all put way too much stock into MiLB stats. Especially if you look in the environment they're playing in.

Exactly, I think a lot hoped that leaving FSL & BC would changed that a lot but it is still the southeast. Climate. That's why I felt need to show & make people realize that in terms of the league, these guys aren't as bad as the numbers. Moreover, it is sooo annoying listening to people base stats off batting average. You look at whole picture.

Ray simply isn't making contact, his struggles his last year at Louisville seem to be real. When he puts ball in play, he is hitting well & flashing some power & speed... problem is when you are only putting ball in play 68% of the time, you are killing yourself.

Diaz's biggest problem is the huge jump in in field fly balls. He's jumped up 10% & IFFBing 20%. This has caused lower babip. Tells me his mechanics in swing may be off. He must be dropping lower to add more loft & getting under balls more. Troubling since he has one of the best swings & ability to square up baseball. Could be pressing as well. His Ks are higher than I like but on par with last season.

Clark I have broke down before but his struggles may be due to switch in approach. He has tapped into more power with it but he is not is usual go with pitches to all fields hitter. He is now center to pull 82% of time, his pull increased 10% while decreased oppo 10%. Moreover his FB HR% doubled... going along with him drastically reducing GB% & shouting up in FB%. He isn't shouting ball through to opposite field which was big part of game.

Stokes is a lot like Diaz. His power numbers (HRFB% & ISO) have skyrocketed. With that uptick, his very low babip is mix of bad luck & 31% IFFB%.... he pops out a ton! Not surprising his pull is 57%.

Erceg.... his numbers are tough. He is going oppo over pull 5% more & walking a little less but overall outside of babip free falling & power dipping, everything is pretty much on par. My guess is he is swinging at bad pitches & not making great contact. Mixed with tough luck, not picking out good pitches to center up on will kill babip & drop power.

Gatewood is simply picking better pitches, working counts & making more contact. He's not chasing but waiting for pitches he likes. His swing is probably not as long as well.

But who cares about real numbers when some can just say someone sucks because batting average is bad in league where most aren't great lol

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get your point. At same time, there is no generational talents in this system. Fielder & Braun before injury & PED drama were well on their way to hall of fame careers. They were top 5-10 prospects in all of baseball. Braun an elite college bat & Fielder at 20 was as elite as they come at that age.

I wouldn't say young players hitting for poor average at higher levels translate to MLB success though. A lot of times players are making changes. It appears Brewers are trying to tap into Clark's power. I'm more concerned with Ray & Erceg than Clark & Diaz. Batting average is only thing missing in their game right now.

Of the 350 PA qualified hitters, no hitter is over .880 OPS. Clark is 10th with Gatewood & Stokes 7 & 8. Two other guys are older for level. Really of true prospects in league only Mountcastle (now promoted) Okimey, & Zach Collins have been better than Gatewood, Stokes, and Clark. Chase Vollet has pretty much been Clark but hasn't really ever shown ability to hit over .220 so far.

Until a player hits AA, hard to tell what you have.

I get your point. At same time, there is no generational talents in this system. Fielder & Braun before injury & PED drama were well on their way to hall of fame careers. They were top 5-10 prospects in all of baseball. Braun an elite college bat & Fielder at 20 was as elite as they come at that age.

I wouldn't say young players hitting for poor average at higher levels translate to MLB success though. A lot of times players are making changes. It appears Brewers are trying to tap into Clark's power. I'm more concerned with Ray & Erceg than Clark & Diaz. Batting average is only thing missing in their game right now.

Of the 350 PA qualified hitters, no hitter is over .880 OPS. Clark is 10th with Gatewood & Stokes 7 & 8. Two other guys are older for level. Really of true prospects in league only Mountcastle (now promoted) Okimey, & Zach Collins have been better than Gatewood, Stokes, and Clark. Chase Vollet has pretty much been Clark but hasn't really ever shown ability to hit over .220 so far.

Until a player hits AA, hard to tell what you have.

Once again, really good post that gets at the heart of this thing. If anyone on this board is expecting any of the prospects in this system to be Braun or Fielder, then you are most certainly going to be disappointed. That type of top 10 talent does not exist in this system. The strength of this system is, and will remain to be, the depth they have.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Fielder was .800+ as a 20 yr old in AA. Braun was just under .800 in half a season in BC. That's what studs do. Does hitting .235 in Carolina mean those guts are bad hitters? No. Does batting avg or OPS tell the whole story? No. Every one of those guys still have prospect status.

Depends what we're debating I guess, but you very rarely see big time MLB hitters who ever hit .230 in a MiLB season.

How are we defining "big time". I would define that as "elite". If so, which minor league players entered te season as being considered "elite"?

Ray was thought by many to be elite, even though I didn't believe that. I did have hopes that the ceiling at least for Diaz and Erceg would be elite. I know, that's my fault for having those hopes. Clark, I projected his ceiling to be solid MLB starter.

Thanks to Young for all the time and effort, it does really help to see the bigger picture. I have changed my expectations about these A+ guys.

With the Brewers unexpected success this year, it will make it that much more difficult to land a "generational" talent in next years draft as well since we won't be picking near the top of the 1st round.

It's hard to win a World Series without a franchise player, either hitting in the middle of your lineup or being an elite ACE to anchor the starting rotation.

The Nationals are succeeding now because their "Rebuild" had them finishing dead last in the league multiple seasons, allowing them to draft "generational" talents like Harper and Correa.

Of course it can be done without a "generational" or franchise player, but it will be that much more difficult, IMO.

KC still gives me hope. They made it to WS twice, and won it once, without a player like that. This is still the model I want the Brewers to adopt. Really good rotation 1-5, with a couple guys being borderline #1 types. Outstanding bullpen, which should be fairly easy for a small market team to build. Position players? Speed, defense, and more guys with high OPS. With all the OF talent they have, I really want to see three CFs playing out there. Great OF defense, great defense up the middle in the IF. Then all that speed will come in handy on the basepaths too.

All of that is more likely to happen than getting a couple aces at the top of the rotation and a couple elite bats. If they build a team like that, still no guarantee of winning it all. But it's the best option I can see.

With the Brewers unexpected success this year, it will make it that much more difficult to land a "generational" talent in next years draft as well since we won't be picking near the top of the 1st round.

It's hard to win a World Series without a franchise player, either hitting in the middle of your lineup or being an elite ACE to anchor the starting rotation.

The Nationals are succeeding now because their "Rebuild" had them finishing dead last in the league multiple seasons, allowing them to draft "generational" talents like Harper and Correa.

Of course it can be done without a "generational" or franchise player, but it will be that much more difficult, IMO.

So do you believe this team is playing to its true talent level or not? If you believe this talent group is a legit contender, whey would they not be a contender next year? If you don't then why throw resources at a sinking ship?

I don't think you have to have a generational player at all. Nor do I believe that having one is a guarantee that you will have success. At what point do we get to start appreciating the talent already at the big league level? I hate to break it to you but Jimmy Nelson has been pretty damn good. Knebel, Barnes and Hader are great bullpen pieces. The developing position player core of Brinson, Arcia, Santana, and Shaw is pretty darn impressive in my mind.

Build a deep farm & trade for generational players (either through buying or selling for minor leaguer), or sign them internationally. Having top picks doesn't mean they will turn out.... you just hope they will.

You don't need generational talents to be contenders. You need 8 solid guys who perform consistently. You can have whole team of Shaws, Santana's, Pina's and contend. These guys aren't hall of famers, may never make all star game even but they are good & consistent players.

Need solid pitching as well. It's nice to have a Star Ace but you get a few Jimmy Nelson's who are #2 to #3 guys and have some depth with good bullpen. Your fine.

You do need a true closer & 2 lock down 8's. I prefer one lefty & 1 righty like Smith/Jeffress & KRod closing. Throw in a solid 7 like Thronburg.... that is a great bullpen!

I've been digging into the stats and I think that it is important to fans to realize that while we have left BC, Carolina is not the most hitter friendly league.

A regular everyday player by this time in the season should be around 350 PA's by now so that is how I filtered stats. Ray, Erceg, Clark, Diaz, Gatewood, Aviles, and Stokes all qualify.

Only 2 qualifying hitters are hitting over .300

1 in the .290's

3 in the .280's

3 including Jake Gatewood hitting in the .270's

1 in the .260's

4 in the .250's

That is a grand total of 9 everyday hitters in the league hitting over .270....... 14 over .250

A more inclusive 300 PA's

.300+ 4

.290's 4

.280's 5

.270's 5

.260's 4

.250's 4

26 players in the league are hitting over .250

Rankings for the 350 PA's by average

Gatewood 9th

Stokes 18th

Clark 22nd

Erceg 23rd

Diaz 25th

Ray 27th

Aviles 28th

Sure you wish they were all higher, however, average in the Carolina league is a terrible assessment of a player. Very few hitters are hitting for average in the league....Only 14 every day players are over .250!

Important stats to me for assessing a prospect:

BB% and K% .....A "professional hitter" like most elites in the Majors will walk 10+% while striking out 22% or less. This shows me a lot of the style hitter they are. I like OBP guys who also make contact (more you walk and put bat on ball, usually the better results.)

BA- OBP Difference. I don't pay much attention to Batting Average...easy but not great indicator of a players success. OBP can be deeply hit by hitter struggling to hit. So I look at the difference. I want all prospects to at least be .70 higher than BA but prefer them to be over .100 more.

ISO- I like power like most people. Like to see how often players are hitting ball hard

wRC+ is my favorite and most important stat as it is most comprehensive for a milb hitter. I treat it like WAR.

wOBA I also will consider.

Looking at our hitters

ISO

.197 5th Stokes

.178 6th Gatewood

.156 12th Clark

.152 14th Diaz

.141 16th Diaz

.131 20th Ray

For the level being around .15 is solid sign. Only 2 players in FSL have over .150, 11 in Cal League, 14 in Carolina

BB% to K%

1st Clark 18.7% ......26% K'ing too much but wow with the walks

7th Diaz 13.8% ......26% Same as Clark with K's needing to drop down but walks are great

9th Stokes 11.2% ...18% Outstanding

13th Ray 10%........31.4% ......well he is walking

15th Gatewood 9.5%....27.4% Awesome growth this season! BB's up and K's slowly going down!

Too low Erceg 5%.... 17.6% ugly bb% but he doesn't K much

OBP (over BA)

Clark - 3rd highest OBP in league at .377, .140 over BA

Gatewood 8th at .347, .075 over BA

Stokes 12th at .343, .090 over BA

Diaz 14th at .337, .110 over BA

Ray .307 and .075 over BA

Erceg doesn't like walks do .277 and .040 over BA

wRC+

7th Gatewood 123

8th Clark ...... 122

10th Stokes... 120

16th Diaz.......104

Ray 86 and Erceg 79

Overall looking through all this, Batting Average says almost nothing about what a player is doing. All 6 of these guys are hitting not far apart in terms of average but are nowhere close to hitting the same. Ray and Ray have been very not good all season. Considering they are the two oldest of the six, that is disappointing. Ray doesn't make contact, Erceg doesn't walk or get on base. Both are hitting lighter than the other 4. They simply have not played well and ARE what their average tells you.

Gatewood, Clark, Stokes are 3 of the top offensive players in the league. Literally block out Clark's batting average and you'd be in love with him as a prospect! If he could drop his K's down to that 20-22% range, He'd be even higher on him. I think it is absolutely insane how much a 20 year old gets trashed on here and written of simple because his batting afverage isn't high enough for them....its a joke. Gatewood has been consistently outstanding all season. Stokes is a sleeper! Kid can play baseball!

Diaz is not far off the three. He is a little behind the others but not playing terrible. Lot of positives when you look at the numbers. Still think he has the most upside on this roster at the plate but needs to cut down K's and have some better luck. Both him and Stokes have pretty low Babip's.

Love the hard work and content here, but one major flaw in this. Because you have such a high threshold of AB's, your numbers are skewed to show only guys who have stayed in A+ ball the whole year pretty much. If guys are in A+ the whole year they usually are not have a great statistical yr or they are working on things. Most guys who have hit well in the Carolina league will get bumped to AA and they will never hit your threshold of 350 AB's. There could have been 15 Carolina guys that hit well and now are ate AA, but are not on this list which in results ranks Gatewood and others higher than what they actually were for ranking of stats in the Carolina league. I am not sure how many guys got moved up to AA from Carolina, but I'd like to know them and there stats as well. I agree Carolina is considered a pitchers league, but i don't think it is this extreme.

Do you know how to read? In both articles it says the same thing in the beginning, so its consistent..

First, quit with the first part. If you can't communicate like an adult, don't communicate here. If you're actually wondering, yes, since I was about 4.

Second, the preseason article ranked teams by overall farm system strength, not by that wacky Prospect Points thing. The Braves were ranked #1 on the preseason list, but were third in Prospect Points. The midseason article ranked teams solely by Prospect Points. The two different rankings are not congruous - they aren't even measuring the same thing. The Prospect Points thing looks to measure "impact" potential, while the human intuition-based rankings take into account depth as well as top tier talent.

It's been stated over and over again, but the reason the Brewers have a very good farm system - as in, currently right now - is the exceptional amount of depth the team has. I'd have to check to see if it's still the case, but for quite awhile they lead all minor league systems in players with at least a 50 OFP (as awarded by MLB Pipeline staff). That's especially important to a small market like Milwaukee, who needs to be able to restock with internal quality. Internal quality is what will allow them to go out and use big league payroll flexibility when they need it.

As for Carolina, this is a couple years old and formatted for crap, but Zebulon is in the 23rd percentile in terms of run environment. That's low. 10th percentile for home run enviornment. That's really, really low. It's true that the Carolina League is as a whole more hitter friendly than the FSL. However, Myrtle Beach, Zebulon and especially Wilmington have three of the poorer run environments in all of minor league baseball. Zebulon isn't Space Coast Stadium, but it is absolutely deflating enough to offensive stats that the output has to be adjusted for context.

Do you know how to read? In both articles it says the same thing in the beginning, so its consistent..

First, quit with the first part. If you can't communicate like an adult, don't communicate here. If you're actually wondering, yes, since I was about 4.

Second, the preseason article ranked teams by overall farm system strength, not by that wacky Prospect Points thing. The Braves were ranked #1 on the preseason list, but were third in Prospect Points. The midseason article ranked teams solely by Prospect Points. The two different rankings are not congruous - they aren't even measuring the same thing. The Prospect Points thing looks to measure "impact" potential, while the human intuition-based rankings take into account depth as well as top tier talent.

It's been stated over and over again, but the reason the Brewers have a very good farm system - as in, currently right now - is the exceptional amount of depth the team has. I'd have to check to see if it's still the case, but for quite awhile they lead all minor league systems in players with at least a 50 OFP (as awarded by MLB Pipeline staff). That's especially important to a small market like Milwaukee, who needs to be able to restock with internal quality. Internal quality is what will allow them to go out and use big league payroll flexibility when they need it.

As for Carolina, this is a couple years old and formatted for crap, but Zebulon is in the 23rd percentile in terms of run environment. That's low. 10th percentile for home run enviornment. That's really, really low. It's true that the Carolina League is as a whole more hitter friendly than the FSL. However, Myrtle Beach, Zebulon and especially Wilmington have three of the poorer run environments in all of minor league baseball. Zebulon isn't Space Coast Stadium, but it is absolutely deflating enough to offensive stats that the output has to be adjusted for context.

lmao, so a team with the highest amount of points is ranked third and that doesn't correlate? Look at the total points of all teams in the preseason article. There ranking of total points is close to where they are ranked as a minor league system. When the updated list comes out of top minor league systems from milb and Brewers are not top 10, then we will see who is talking. You can disagree with how they do this, but its quite obvious this has correlation. You obviously ignore the the other 3 sites that pretty much say the same thing about, again, our TOP PROSPECTS.. This supposed deep minor league system just added 8 newly acquired players to the top 30. If this system was so deep it should have been hard for any college player to make the top 30, especially guys drafted in later rounds, yet 4th, and 12th rounders made this. I'd like to know a last time a player drafted past round 10 made such a "deep minor league system" as everyone like to say.

Lets see how this correlates?

From March

Top 10 teams with total points = there minor league system rankings

1) New York Yankees = 2

2) Chicago White Sox = 3

3) Atlanta Braves = 1

4) San Diego Padres = 10

5) Milwaukee Brewers = 5

6) Los Angles Dodgers = 12

7)Pittsburgh Pirates = 4

8) Colorado Rockies = 8

9) Cincinnati Reds = 16

10) Tampa Rays = 6

In every form of data there are going to be outliers. The one outlier are the Reds, and maybe the Dodgers(so sick of them having a great minor league system and the highest payroll). Reds have a difference of 7 positions from the points ranking and their system ranking. The Brewers are 19th.. Again, I def don't think they are 19th, I still think(and hope they are) a top 10, but based on the correlation of how they rank players and systems it doesn't seem like they do.

Lets hear, "but the Padres were 4th in points and were ranked 10".. smh

Last I checked, the major league level doesn't consist of only guys drafted in the top 5 or even the first round. There are so many star caliber players that come in the later rounds. Michael Brantley and Lorenzo Cain are 2 that came through our system not that long ago that I can list off-hand. Mike Trout was a late 1st round pick and passed up by at least 20 teams.

What I would like and I suspect a lot of other posters want to see is the Brewers operate like the Cardinals/Packers in that they develop their own players and compete consistently. Trading prospects for established players should happen but sparingly and carefully. If said prospect you trade away becomes a star, no matter what you received in trade you almost certainly lost. Bringing up and getting 6 years of a star player in this system of cost control is the ultimate value. If the brewers were to put Arcia or Santana on the market after this season, we would get some incredibly strong offers as those guys appear to be budding stars with a ton of cheap/team controlled years left.

Of course if a team has a ton of players ranked in the top 100 they should absolutely have a high overall team ranking but that doesn't mean you can't have a high overall ranking if you don't. Your logic is faulty.

I keep seeing how there are no generational talents in this system. I think people are underestimating how good Brinson could be. Most are looking for video game numbers like Braun and Fielder put up in the minors. Well it may have been Colorado Springs but Brinson put up some pretty nice numbers. What's he supposed to do, bat .400+ to impress there?

And Arcia won't put up the kind of numbers on offense that Braun and Fielder did but he will hit. And considering how little those two added defensively, Arcia's glove at a premium position could overcome that gap and then some.

Those 2 and possibly others can have just as much impact towards winning by providing other pluses aside from offense. Remember Braun and Fielder didn't win games with their gloves.

I agree with this for the most part. Expect for at some point the organization actually needs to focus on QUALITY over QUANITY when it comes to their farm system.

I like the depth of the Brewers current system, but I'd much rather have a "top heavy" system like we did a dozen years ago with Braun/Fielder at the top.

The Brewers might have one of the strongest 1-30 farm systems in the league, but I think they are a bit weak at the top.

At some point, the Brewers will have 5-6 league average OF ready for the big leagues. Even if Braun/Santana are traded and the Brewers have 3 OF spots to fill by say 2019, I'd rather have one potential all-star player than 3 average ones. (Brinson is the only current farmhand that I'm confident has All-Star abilities with a solid chance at reaching them.)

I also get that up until this point of the rebuild, we were still acquiring as much talent as possible and seeing if some cream rises to the top.

That's a great strategy, but at some point you have to turn perceived farm assets into help at the MLB level.

I mean, I'd love to trade 3 average regular prospects for one high-end SP pitching prospect, but those type of trades just don't happen.

I agree that the Brewers are at least a year ahead of schedule on this aspect of the rebuild, but here we are.

That's why targeting "controllable" assets (like Sonny Gray, Michael Fulmer, Dan Straily, etc) would be the best way to go if I'm the Brewers. And at most trade deadlines and especially in the offseason, these types of controllable players rarely get traded.

Making a move like Cordell for Swarzak is silly at this point unless the Brewers plan on making a more significant move(s) before Monday's trade deadline.

If Steans can't get a controllable SP without giving up Brinson or Hader, then I'm fine with him standing pat. But I think he has the depth to pull it off if he gets creative.

I do agree that Milwaukee's small market payroll makes controllable average regular types more valuable to an organization like ours as opposed to the Yankees, Dodgers or Cubs.

There's plenty of value in those types as well, I just think it's harder to make a deep playoff run without a core of all-star level players.

That's a great strategy, but at some point you have to turn perceived farm assets into help at the MLB level.

If Steans can't get a controllable SP without giving up Brinson or Hader, then I'm fine with him standing pat. But I think he has the depth to pull it off if he gets creative.players.

What are Brinson, Arcia, Santana, Nelson, Hader and Shaw? I don't think you have to turn "farm" assets into help, you need to turn all assets into help. This was never a division contending team. No need to dump those assets now.

I think there have been reports that the A's are asking for Brinson.

If I'm the A's, I'd be asking for Brinson also as a starting point.

With that said, the teams rumored to be in on Gray still like the Yankees, are only offering someone like CF Estevan Florial.

That's the equivelant of the Brewers trying to headline the deal with Monte Harrison, IMO.

I think the Brewers could still beat that with a CF headliner of Ray or Phillips, plus better 2nd or 3rd pieces.

I have a feeling a dark horse, non-contender like the Braves or the Padres could swoop in with a lesser package for Sonny and have some Brewer fans shaking their heads on why the Brewers didn't beat the offer.

If I'm the A's, I'd be asking for Brinson also as a starting point.

With that said, the teams rumored to be in on Gray still like the Yankees, are only offering someone like CF Estevan Florial.

That's the equivelant of the Brewers trying to headline the deal with Monte Harrison, IMO.

I think the Brewers could still beat that with a CF headliner of Ray or Phillips, plus better 2nd or 3rd pieces.

I have a feeling a dark horse, non-contender like the Braves or the Padres could swoop in with a lesser package for Sonny and have some Brewer fans shaking their heads on why the Brewers didn't beat the offer.

Doesn't matter what your opinion of player value is and I'm not saying that to be snarky. The truth is, the A's may not value Brinson as high as we do or they may value Florial higher than we do. Your basing your assumptions on arbitrary prospect rankings and trying to draw comparisons and that just isn't going to work.

They have 16 players with a FV of 50 or above. The top six are 55 or higher and only one, Brinson, is a 60. I would imagine Hader would be a 60 as well. Not sure how that stacks up but there it is.

I hope Brinson can be a generational type along with Hader but have feeling both are going to be occasional All-Star types at ceiling over the Chris Sale or prime McCutchen's we hope they will be. Nothing wrong with that at all.

When Fielder & Braun were coming up & hitting majors you knew they were going to be elite talents in this league. There was no doubt & no learning curve. Those are generational talents that my daughters (7 years old) era will know by heart & even further down the line. Same as the Hank Aaron's, Younts, Molitors, Rollie's.... they are Brewer legends & HOF caliber depending on the politics of voting.

MLB.com has also updated their farm system rankings and the Brewers and lo their few Prospect Points have fallen all the way to...

8th.

Prospect Points correlation indeed.

lmao, so a team with the highest amount of points is ranked third and that doesn't correlate? Look at the total points of all teams in the preseason article. There ranking of total points is close to where they are ranked as a minor league system. When the updated list comes out of top minor league systems from milb and Brewers are not top 10, then we will see who is talking. You can disagree with how they do this, but its quite obvious this has correlation. You obviously ignore the the other 3 sites that pretty much say the same thing about, again, our TOP PROSPECTS.. This supposed deep minor league system just added 8 newly acquired players to the top 30. If this system was so deep it should have been hard for any college player to make the top 30, especially guys drafted in later rounds, yet 4th, and 12th rounders made this. I'd like to know a last time a player drafted past round 10 made such a "deep minor league system" as everyone like to say.

MLB.com has also updated their farm system rankings and the Brewers and lo their few Prospect Points have fallen all the way to...

8th.

Prospect Points correlation indeed.

^ lol oh darn, he was so certain of it. Never fun being so 100% certain of something just for reality to say different.

Archived