Brewer Fanatic

Rays: Snell for Knebel

I don't believe the Brewers have any intention of selling or trading Knebel. I however, would like to explore that potential opportunity.

Assuming that Tampa is in the market for some bullpen help:

Knebel looks like the real deal right now. We all know relievers are a fickle bunch. I don't know that his value will get higher. Snell has been a bit disappointing with his control, is pretty much the Rays 5th starter and could be replaced internally by Honeywell if they wanted.

I'm constantly reading about how we might mythically acquire a team's young controlled, future TOR type starter. I'm not sure Snell will reach that peak but I'd be willing to give up our current stud reliever to find out.

Thoughts?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's an interesting idea. I honestly can't answer the question as I don't know much about Snell other than he has struggled with his control this year (and pretty badly). That's not a shocker for a young pitcher - but it's never something you are happy about.

A year ago, we'd probably have jumped on getting Snell. Now, I guess it would come down to what the club thinks about him. If they still see top of the rotation upside - then he's an interesting buy-low guy. But if there are a lot of doubts -- well, it's hard to give up someone who's playing as well as Knebel.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have seen Snell pitch this year and/or know more about his situation.

I dont believe in Snell so this is a no go for me. Have had him on my dynasty fantasy baseball team for a few years so ive followed him pretty closely. Think he will have a long, productive career but hes not a top of the rotation guy.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Knebels stock will probably never be higher. With what the power relievers can get back, I would be dangling his name to see what can be had. It's tough because the bullpen isn't a strength and at some point you have to keep players, but I like the idea. I'd imagine Honeywell isn't available, but the Rays have SP.

Snell? No. Brent Honeywell or nothing at all. If we are going to trade away our bullpen at this point it better be for a stud like that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Knebel/Villar to the Dodgers for Willie Calhoun/Walker Buehler.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Garza/Knebel/Villar for Calhoun/Buehler

Calhoun isn't going anywhere especially with Utley in his last year.

Huh? The Dodgers traded Jose De Leon to get Logan Forsythe to be their starting 2B this past offseason.

The relief pitcher market so far at least hasn't been as bountiful as in the past. Maybe teams are finally realizing that giving up a lot for guys who pitch 50-60 innings isn't worth it.

I would think the Cubs, with Chapman, and the Indians, with Miller, are thinking it was worth it.

Huh? The Dodgers traded Jose De Leon to get Logan Forsythe to be their starting 2B this past offseason.

Dodgers have a team option on Forsythe for 2018. Not sure they will pick up his option with Calhoun raking at AAA. Forsythe can play multiple positions though.

Dodgers have a team option on Forsythe for 2018. Not sure they will pick up his option with Calhoun raking at AAA. Forsythe can play multiple positions though.

They will pick it up and trade him at worst.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this because Nieves absolutely deserves a shoutout for this one. This would be the trade of Stearns' career if he had pulled it off.

Not that it was ever necessarily an option for Stearns, so I'm not blaming him but -- nice call, Nieves.

Yah....no way Knebel would have gotten Snell.

That's easy to say now but I don't believe its necessarily true. Snell was really struggling last year. Got sent down to the minors this time last year, while Corey was an All-Star closer coming off a dominant season.

No one was saying "no way is Knebel enough" at the time -- if anything, the opposite.

Now I do think that it's possible that the Ray's weren't really that interested in Knebel and would have wanted to go in a different direction if they dealt Snell, but value-wise at the time I don't see anything wrong with it.

Archived