Brewer Fanatic

Garcia + cash to Twins for Twins #22 prospect (Update: Now Yankees for #22 prospect)

LouisEly

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/huascar-ynoa-headed-to-atlanta-braves-in-jaime-garcia-deal/c-244165718/t-185364810

Twins also get 33-year-old journeyman Anthony Recker in the deal. Not sure how much cash. Ynoa was the 14th-17th rated international prospect three years ago. He had a very good year last year but this year has struggled in a small sample at their higher-level rookie league. Has upside, but is a long way off.

Ynoa was signed for $800K, so I think the comp would be more along the lines of Lujano or Pierre.

Quite a buyer's market as far as rentals go.

I really can't see much of a market for Garza after all if this was the market for Garcia. Although Garza does have that extra year of control next year

I guess. He's got a 4.30 ERA and 4.14 FIP this year which I would assume is about a league average starter. Probably would have been reasonably better than Junior Guerra for the rest of the season.

I really can't see much of a market for Garza after all if this was the market for Garcia. Although Garza does have that extra year of control next year

That cheap option means Matt Garza is controllable x4 longer and helps with two postseason runs. I would consider that a pretty significant difference. Not to mention better stats.

Not that I think the Brewers are even shopping Garza. He has been our 3rd best starter.

That cheap option means Matt Garza is controllable x4 longer and helps with two postseason runs. I would consider that a pretty significant difference. Not to mention better stats.

Not that I think the Brewers are even shopping Garza. He has been our 3rd best starter.

Well it depends. If we tank against the Cubs and get swept and we're sitting 4 back at the deadline we absolutely should consider it. If things turn around and we somehow sweep the Cubs and regain a few game lead I'm sure we might have a little different perspective. Lot of things still up in the air in this last week.

Man, why didn't we give a better package? It most assuredly wouldn't have taken much.... Wow...

Maybe they have other targets that are not rental types?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Man, why didn't we give a better package? It most assuredly wouldn't have taken much.... Wow...

We could have done both.... rental and whatever. Maybe we still will. At these prices, why not?

We could have done both.... rental and whatever. Maybe we still will. At these prices, why not?

They probably just don't like him much and don't think it's worth the roster spot to give up something for him. We've got the following starters performing well this year: Nelson (3.43 ERA), Anderson (2.89, could return next month), Garza (3.83), Suter (2.84), plus Guerra and Davies who we expected to pitch much better, plus other high potential internal options like Hader and Woodruff. So Garcia with his 4.30 ERA (and last year's 4.67 ERA) seems like getting someone just to get someone. They're likely targeting guys with more impact potential that can help beyond this season.

Although Garza does have that extra year of control next year

does he?

As far as I know. I think you're misinterpreting the 130 day DL period as being cumulative over his contract, but I believe the wording of 'within a 183 day period' makes it clear that the extended DL period must be within the course of one season for the $1M option to be in play, not cumulative over the 4 seasons.

I've checked the original article from MLB, Spotrac and Rotoworld and I haven't seen any evidence that there will be anything but a $5M team option for Garza next year.

Community Moderator

Well that didn't last long in Minnesota...

@JonHeyman: yanks and twins are in agreement on a jaime garcia tarde

Sounds like Yankees prospect RHP Zack Littell is coming back in return. Ironically Littell is the Yankees #22 prospect according to MLB Pipeline. Ironic because the Twins had traded away their own #22 prospect (RHP Huascar Ynoa) for Garcia last week.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wonder if that takes them out of the Gray sweepstakes's
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wonder if that takes them out of the Gray sweepstakes's

From what I've read it does not. Seems they are going for it this year. Montgomery and Severino probably don't have the innings built up to pitch deep into the post season effectively so they do still need an arm.

Archived