Brewer Fanatic

Why The Brewers HAVE to select Rickie Weeks #2 Overall...

With Baltimore's last minute signing of Adam Loewen, sign me up to the growing number of Brewer fans who will rage with anger http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif if the Brew Crew doesn't take one of the "Big Two" remaining in this year's draft. The Brewers haven't had the luxury to choose this high in the draft in some time, and like any other draft, they cannot afford to screw it up be passing on the virtually unanimous top two players.

I believe after Delmon Young's "Ken Griffey, Jr.-esque" performances at Miller Park and Tropicana Field, that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will have no choice but to select him with the #1 overall pick. Delmon reminds me of a young Griffey, and he certainlly could develop by the later half of this decade into the type of outfield power hitters we saw in the mid-to-late 1990s (Bonds, Griffey, Sosa, Sheffield, etc.). Plus the D-Rays have selected a high school player in something like 4 out of the last 5 drafts, so it seems they have a tendency to like High School prospects (of which Young is one of course).

So with Young likely going #1, I fully expect the Brewers to select Southern University 2B Rickie Weeks with the #2 pick. In fact I rate Weeks slighty ahead of Delmon Young, as in 1A to 1B. Since it seems that most on this board were hoping for Loewen and now seem to be targeting Young, I am guessing some of you might think I'm a lil crazy, but I've really fallen in love with Weeks and think we should all be very fortunate to get him if we don't screw things up (but with the Brewers unfortunatley, "screwing up" is a perpetual possibilty). So with that said, here are some comments and reasons for why Weeks would look beautiful in blue and gold:

-- The Brewers have a glaring need for a blue-chip second basemen, and low and behold Weeks is a second basemen. If you look at the top (top meaning the top 5 or 10) Brewer minor league prospects, not one is a 2B. Meanwhile, we have many potential outfield prospects. I know the Brewers are tinkering with moving Brad Nelson to the OF and with Krnzyel, Clark and Geoff Jenkins, there isn't a desperate need to find an outfielder.

-- Now some say Weeks will wind up in the outfield due to potential shortcomings in the field at 2B, but I believe when you're dealing with a player of Weeks' caliber that proper coaching and experience will solve any problems he may have out there. As for his offense, having a middle infielder who could be a 30/30, or possibly even a 40/40 player, would immediately turn around the Brewers franchise. Weeks has been labeled as a five-tool prospect, and due to his position and his sleek yet powerful frame, he has evoked comparisions to dare I say, Alfonso Soriano. Yep, that Alfonso Soriano! Now obvisouly those comparisons are still only comparisons and Weeks is still years away from possibly reaching that kind of level, but it's certainly not out of the question. Right now, the player that Weeks reminds me the most of is the Indians' 2B/SS Brandon Phillips. Phillips has begun to warm up as of late, flashing the power and speed that earned him the nickname, "The Franchise." I certainly feel Weeks can join both him, as well as Devil Rays' 2002 phenom B.J. Upton, in the lineage of "Soriano-like" middle-infielders that can be saviors for their respective franchises.

-- Another benefit of taking Weeks is the ability for him to join our rising stars at AA Huntsville immediately, while with Young the process will take longer. Also, a future double play combination of J.J. Hardy and Rickie Weeks makes me think happy thoughts at night. This however is only a benefit, and SHOULD NOT be the deciding factor, since I, and almost every other fan here will want the Brewers to select the best player available, which very well could turn out to be Delmon Young.

As for the other prospects, Ryan Harvey, Tim Stauffer and Kyle Sleeth, I am not sold on any of these players as the #2 overall pick. Harvey will likely go #3 to Detroit, and could be considered by us if Young is gone, but I just don't feel he's as good as Weeks and I certainlly don't think he's as good as Young. He heads up the tier of prospects that was a notch BELOW the former "Big Three" and the now current "Big Two." So yes, I guess that means I am NOT on the Ryan Harvey bandwagon - sorry. As for Stauffer and Sleeth, they aren't #2 material with Weeks or Young on the board. We have some very good young arms and can get some solid pitching in the second round, instead of reaching in the first.

So if the D-Rays do seem to change their minds and take Rickie Weeks....I'll be happy, because we'll be able to draft Delmon Young. If they do what most experts expect them to do, and take Delmon Young, I'll be very, very happy because we'll be able to draft Rickie Weeks. And either of these two scenarios should make us all very happy!

I can only hope and pray, that the Milwaukee Brewers agree..... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

From lifelong Brewer fan, "The Big Cheese"

It's OK Cheese take a deep breath, but I doubt Weeks will start at AA. You have to atleast see what he can do for a week or so against Class A pitching. He's not as polished as many think and he's had little exposure to top level competition. That doesn't make him a bad choice, but I'd be skeptical of starting any college aluminum bat bred player in AA. Personally I'm happy with either pick, and if for whatever reason they liked Harvey I'd tend to trust them, but with Loewen gone I don't see any of the pitchers as being worth our pick

I think the Big Cheese has been saving up!

The Brewers have a glaring need for a blue-chip second basemen, and low and behold Weeks is a second basemen. If you look at the top (top meaning the top 5 or 10) Brewer minor league prospects, not one is a 2B. Meanwhile, we have many potential outfield prospects. I know the Brewers are tinkering with moving Brad Nelson to the OF and with Krnzyel, Clark and Geoff Jenkins, there isn't a desperate need to find an outfielder.

The Brewers don't have a glaring need for an outfielder? Who is going to take over in RF the next couple of years? I wouldn't simply count on one of our 1B prospects to do so, and there is a big difference between a CF prospect like Krynzel & a corner OF prospect like Young. As for not having a 2B prospect, the team is pretty high on Enrique Cruz, even if you're not quite sold on him. I guess I never try to use the need argument unless the need is so crystal clear & you have 4 guys on the board ranked equally with one playing that premium position.

And I agree with igor, I strongly doubt Weeks would be plopped in AA right away. Jim Powell suggested the same thing a week ago, and I just can't see any prospect getting that far that fast. Again as igor pointed out, Weeks is far from a finished product.

Weeks just worries me. I'd much rather we select Harvey then Weeks, although my #1 choice would be Young at this point. ACL injuries usually take two years for the athlete to fully recover, and that Harvey is playing at such a high level already just makes him that much more appealing to me.

Considering the Brewers' history with prospects and injuries, I'm in the camp that doesn't want to touch Harvey. I'll admit it's more superstition than logic, but why tempt fate?

Robert

Colby, I agree with you 100% on the need thing. When drafting this high in the draft, the philosphy always, always should be to take the best player available. I was merely pointing out that it might be more of a conveinence that we get Weeks due to our lack of a top flight 2B (I'm not yet sold on Cruz, and I thought he was a natural SS anway??). Like I said earlier, a Hardy to Weeks double play combination looks awfully, awfully nice.

But the need arguement will be a moot point with Loewen out of the draft, because no matter who the D-Rays take, the player that is left from the "Big Two" WILL be the best player available, whether its Weeks or Young.

As for our future OF, I firmly still have faith in Geoff Jenkins. I've been in love with him since that moonbeam home run he hit at the '95 College World series and I really think and hope that he will be in our long term rebuilding plans and sure up one corner outfield spot. CF of the future is a lock to be Krynzel, which leaves one corner spot open. Certainly Young would look very, very nice in that spot. But we do have Nelson being worked out there, as well as OF prospect Daryl Clark. Speaking of which, I read earlier in the month that Clark was leading all of the minors in HRs?? I'm not sure if he still is but clearly he is a nice prospect to have. As for my future outfield:

Jenkins RF/LF

Krynzel CF

Nelson/Clark RF/LF

Maybe Jenkins would move to right if Nelson was able to switch to the outfield due to Geoff's strong arm? And you can't rule out a future draft pick (maybe next year's #1) coming in as an OF. I guess all I'm saying is I believe its easier to find a stud outfielder then it is to find a stud second basemen.

But please, don't get the wrong impression here...I love Delmon Young! I guess I am just most worried about all this Harvey talk. It seems like we would be reaching for the next best OF instead of taking a stud middle infield FIVE TOOL prospect in Weeks.

By the way, has Young, or Harvey for that matter, been labled as a five tool type player? In other words do they have the tools to potentially be a 30/30 or 40/40 guy, because all I hear about them is power while it seems Weeks has the total package? Just a question...

After listening to the Baseball America interview with Jim Powell I am left feeling uneasy.

It sounds like a lock that TB will take Young which leaves us with Weeks who has battered inferior competion.

BA also mentioned Weeks wanting 6 million to sign. I am forseeing major problems signing this guy if we draft him.

I am begining to think we are going to take Sleeth or someone like that.

Frick. I wanted D Young.

Scoop, I heard the interview too and the thing that makes me sick is the possibility of the Crew reaching for pitcher like Sleeth and Stauffer. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif ....Look, when you suck as bad as the Brewers did last year and "earn" such a high pick, you cannot, and I mean, CANNOT screw around with it. The thoughts of the Brewers reaching to take Stauffer or Sleeth, guys who are around the 4-7 rating in this draft, would be like the Detroit Pistons passing on Darko Milich or Carmelo Anthony with the #2 pick in this year's NBA Draft to take someone like Reece Gains or Chris Kamen. Stauffer and Sleeth reside at a talent plateau that is BELOW that of Rickie Weeks and Delmon Young. It's just not smart baseball management to not pick one of them!!!

Personally, I don't think there's a snowball's chance that Weeks is gonna get $6 million to sign. That is a complete joke. I would say more likely between $3-4 million. Besides, I thought Mr. Melvin said signability wasn't an issue?? Geez, when you're churning out a $14 million dollar annual profit down there it better not be! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Why do I just have this sick feeling that the Brewers will screw this up?? ...At least I can take solice in the fact that in the interview Callis said that right now, it's looking like Weeks will be the Brewers pick....and thank God for that!

PS - Hey, Brewers just hit a grand slam!! Maybe that's an omen?

The way I see it, for the past 4 years, we've done a pretty good job with 1st round picks, and the Jack Z. regime has faired very well overall. I have to give them credit for doing the right thing however they go about next weeks draft. Two things are certain, one is we have no say in who gets picked by TB, and two is that there is no guarantee that anyone will be a cant-miss prospect in this draft (a la Arod and Jr Griffeys and Mark Priors). So they'll pick who they believe is going to be the best pick at #2, and if it's unpopular (like Fielder) hopefully they prove us wrong.

The other thing I wanted to add is that if Weeks is really asking for $6 million, I say forget it. He has enough questions that I don't believe he's worth that type of investment. I like the philosophy of the past few years of taking a great player regardless of price, but passing on a player knowing his price is too steep is smart and not contradictory to that philosophy. Taking a player who'll sign for less than market or slot value would be a mistake (look at the picks of the mid 90's like Kyle Peterson, Chad Green).

I have to say I'm a bit concerned with the Weeks criticism that I've seen posted by some on this board. Fact of the matter is that EVERY player, whether its Weeks, Delmon Young, Kyle Sleeth, Tim Stauffer, Ryan Harvey, etc. have question marks.

The difference is that the vast majority of PROFESSIONAL baseball scouts say that the top 2 players available are Delmon Young and Rickie Weeks, and that there is a talent dropoff after those too. I just am getting sick of all of the "concerns" people (some of whom are on this board) have with him. Geez, if Weeks has all these "concerns," then why the hell is he rated so high!?! I mean you have to give him his do. He has "franchise player" tools and ability and every baseball expert I've heard, from Peter Gammons to those at Baseball America like Jim Callis, have raved about those tools.

I've just had enough with the doubting, because for every doubt that you have about Weeks, you must also acknowledge that there is a greatness to him (bat speed, base speed, power potential, athleticism, tireless work ethic, etc.)

With positives like that, I don't know how anyone could be all that worried about him, because it's not like Sleeth, Stauffer, Harvery or even Delmon Young are THAT much more of a sure thing than Rickie.....

Don't get too worked up with the doubters Big Cheese, is our nature. Most of us wouldn't be here is we didn't/couldn't 2nd guess every thought, comment & observation out there. I think it really comes down to a gut feeling for most people. Some think Weeks is the guy to go with, others Young, and even a few such as DHonks I believe prefers Kyle Sleeth. If we simply accepted the good without looking at the bad, we would have ended all draft conversations back in February.

Southern beat Southern Mississippi today in the regionals, and Weeks had a big day:

PA #1: K-only time he didn't get on base

PA #2: HBP, SB

PA #3: RBI single

PA #4: 2-run HR

PA #5: BB

And you can't argue about his level of competition here. This could be a huge advantage for Weeks as his season continues.

I hear you Colby, and certainly it all comes down to personal preference. I just wish that all those who question Weeks also acknowledge that he has just as good a chance to be a superstar....

And what a great day for him today. I certainly hope Southern can make the field of 8...I'd love to watch Weeks on ESPN, and hopefully by then he would be Brewer property...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

I just read an article in BA Magazine that rips Moneyball. In the article it mentions that Beane wanted Sheets in 1999 but settled for Zito because of signability.

Sleeth probably has a much better chance of being a better player than Young and Weeks than the predraft hype would leave you to believe.

But hey...this is exciting stuff. I love drafts!

It's interesting to see Sheets brought up because Weeks kind of reminds me of the Sheets situation. I remember reading about back in 1999 and at first everyone (well at BA, my only source of non-MLB baseball back then), was in awe of his meteoric rise. Then the doubters started to pop up, and eventually the "Questions" developed, like he wasn't even scouted as a HS player; he was a one year flash in the pan; he is maximum effort and has maxed out. Now, I'm not sold on Weeks yet myself, but as has been pointed out on this thread and the "Jayson Stark is trying to kill me" thread, there are a lot scouts who make a living evaluating baseball players and they like this kid as one of the top two in a two dog show.

Of course scouts are proven wrong, and teams make mistakes. But sometimes, the player just doesn't pan out as expected, and that's no one's fault. On the other hand there's Antone Williamson, Kyle Peterson, Chad Green - those were Sal Bando's fault.

I just read an article in BA Magazine that rips Moneyball. In the article it mentions that Beane wanted Sheets in 1999 but settled for Zito because of signability.

Zito was a bargain pick because the A's signed catcher Gerlad Laird just before the '99 draft as a DFE for over a million I believe. That led them to look for a bargain pick, and in this case, they really struck gold. As much as Beane (& others) liked Zito, even he has admitted that he had no idea how good Zito would turn out to be.

The A's did really like Sheets, and would have taken him if it weren't for the signing of Laird. If that were the case, the Brewers reportedly would have taken now Phillies RHP Brett Myers, & Zito likely would have fallen to the the 2nd half of the first round at best.

Archived