Brewer Fanatic

Pujols upset with La Russa

Paul77
La Russa did a very poor job of managing the game overall. That said, while I was hoping he would pinch hit Pujols in the 9th, I kind of knew he wasnt going to do it. Kind of like watching Yost fumble with the lineup and stare at the bullpen phone when he should be walking to the mound to make a move.

The whole "This one counts" junk is what leads to this. It's an exhibition. If you're going to make it count, then put the best players out there and avoid the "token" All Stars.

This is Selig's dud IMO.

But in an All Star game, people pay and watch to see Pujols in that situation. That's the bottom line. Rowand is a great player but the average fan doesn't really know who he is outside of his face-smashing catch. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't know Pujols. Woulda made for great drama...

This, to me, is akin to drawing up a game-winning play for Scottie Pippen when you have Jordan sitting there....oh wait....

Seriously, the old 'he doesn't have much better of a chance' argument doesn't make any sense to me. I understand your point, but it's not like you're going from Rowand to Pat Burrell. This is Pujols we're talking about. This would have been no minor upgrade. I couldn't believe that Big Al wasn't standing in that batter's box.

My guess is that LaRussa felt sitting his own guy - not another team's star - as the 'emergency player' was the right thing to do. Can't say I blame him there in terms of public opinion, but I think he overcompensated. This is letting Bobby Simmons shoot the three instead of Redd with the game on the line, for what? To appease hypothetical fans that may call LaRussa a homer? The 'last player' factor has to be what made the decision.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If LaRussa was indeed saving a player for extra innings, I like that he chose his own guy (and someone who probably will get a zillion more All-Star AB's in his career anyway). But he probably should have given Pujols a heads-up at some point. (Apparently, he didn't.)

I hadn't realized that Pujols hasn't homered since June 14. Maybe that was in the back on LaRussa's mind, too.

"I hadn't realized that Pujols hasn't homered since June 14. Maybe that was in the back on LaRussa's mind, too."

I doubt that had anything to do with it, especially when Pujols seemed to somewhat find his homerun swing during the derby.

What concerns me as a Brewer Fan is Pujols being angry and probably feels like he has something to prove coming out of the gates in the second half. I could see him ripping off 8+ homers to close out this month...

With a line of .296/.380/.454 (.834 OPS) this season and .290/.364/.454 (.818 OPS) since the start of last season, I wouldn't exactly call Hudson a weak hitter. Still, I think I'd have gotten Pujols into that inning somewhere.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What concerns me as a Brewer Fan is Pujols being angry and probably feels like he has something to prove coming out of the gates in the second half. I could see him ripping off 8+ homers to close out this month...

You think his HR drought has to do with lack of desire?

Archived