Brewer Fanatic

Brewers considering long term and rental Pitchers..

I'm tired of hearing who they are all in on..it's time for us to hear about who they have acquired. Jaime Garcia?? Meh..

Funny thing about you saying 'meh' is that Garcia's career ERA, FIP, WHIP, and K/9 are almost all right in line with Quintana, who you were good with paying heavily for.

Garcia is only 2 years older and would obviously cost a lot less. My only issue is that he's not a controllable asset and I don't care for rentals at this stage.

At this point im just assuming they are kicking the tires on everyone and anything.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Garcia just went to the Twins with catcher Anthony Recker for pitching prospect Huascar Ynoa. Ynoa is a 19 year old in A Ball signed as an international free agent a few years ago. Kind of a light return for what I expected. Ynoa is a nice young arm, but a total lottery ticket.

Anthony Swarzak just shut down the Cubs for his first career save. He'd be a rental that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

That a boy Briggs! Good call!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I can't remember where I read it this morning but the rumor was Michael Fulmer could be had if someone absorbs all of Jordan Zimmermann's deal. While Zimmerman's deal is truly awful (3 years $74 million), is this something the Brewers could absorb to get Fulmer? I would imagine the prospect package would still be significant (Hader, Phillips, Diaz + perhaps) but to acquire Fulmer, while still having the ability to have salary flexibility, might this be worth it?

I can't remember where I read it this morning but the rumor was Michael Fulmer could be had if someone absorbs all of Jordan Zimmermann's deal. While Zimmerman's deal is truly awful (3 years $74 million), is this something the Brewers could absorb to get Fulmer? I would imagine the prospect package would still be significant (Hader, Phillips, Diaz + perhaps) but to acquire Fulmer, while still having the ability to have salary flexibility, might this be worth it?

Absolutely yes. I'd be thrilled to get Fulmer

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

We are at 63 million right now with Garza coming off books soon... Zimmerman has been solid most of his career. I'd eat contract to get him depending on the prospects. You are eating 24 million + a year for multiple years.... even if it is Fulmer, you can buy an Ace in off season with the savings.... shouldnt have to give up Hader or Brinson.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Would the Tigers really be interested in trading Fulmer for a lesser prospect package if said team also took Zimmerman off their hands? I realize that's a horrible contract, but wouldn't they want to capitalize on Fulmer more in getting a stacked prospect haul in return?

I know it isn't my money, but I'd be all for taking Zimmerman and that contract if you could also get Fulmer for a lesser prospect deal.

Eat the money, and give them Diaz, Ponce and a lottery ticket prospect in return. I know that's not much of a package, but not sure if I'd give up much more if we are taking on Z's full salary.

I'd much rather entertain something like that if we're going to look at a 'salary dump' trade. Fulmer is an arm that we could build our rotation around going forward, and I'd be thrilled to get him in a deal. Zimmerman's contract is horrendous, but would be worth it to get Fulmer.

Zimmerman really did fall off a cliff after he signed his big deal. Two bad years in Detroit after a very good career to that point. He's still only 31, so maybe a pen move might re-kindle some usefulness?

Do we know what the story is with Zimmerman? Did he lose a bunch of velocity? Command of his pitches? What's been his big issue with Detroit?

I guess I'm wondering if there is any hope in getting this guy turned around, or is it just one big lost cause at this stage?

He had a bunch of injuries last year starting last May. His fastball velocity is down maybe 1-2 mph in the last couple of years, but it still sits around 93. He could be another bounce-back option, but man is that contract massive. If you can find a way to get Fulmer though, the contract looks less terrible as Fulmer is controlled through 2022 I believe. If there is ever a time to shell of a top prospect or two, this would be the situation imo.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/1/4/14169444/jordan-zimmermann-injury-update-detroit-tigers-2017-season

"As disappointing as 2016 was, Zimmermann’s first month-plus did give the Tigers a solid glimpse of what he could provide when healthy. He posted a 1.50 ERA amid seven starts and started the year with three consecutive scoreless starts of seven, six, and 6 1⁄3 innings, respectively. His efforts had also earned him American League Pitcher of the Month honors for April, with a 0.55 ERA."

If they will package Zimmerman with Fulmer to drop prospect requirements, how about this fantasy baseball-esque monster trade?

Fulmer, Zimmerman, Wilson, Kinsler

for

Phillips, Ortiz, Villar and maybe a small piece?

-Fulmer & all of Zimmerman's contract for Phillips and small piece

-Villar for Kinsler

-Ortiz for Wilson

I don't know how to figure out the extra value people use but I would imagine Zimmerman's $74 million sunk cost off-sets most of Fulmer's extra value making it only need just one premier prospect. Then do some combo of villar & a pitching prospect like Ortiz for Wilson and Kinsler. Thoughts?

If they will package Zimmerman with Fulmer to drop prospect requirements, how about this fantasy baseball-esque monster trade?

Fulmer, Zimmerman, Wilson, Kinsler

for

Phillips, Ortiz, Villar and maybe a small piece?

-Fulmer & all of Zimmerman's contract for Phillips and small piece

-Villar for Kinsler

-Ortiz for Wilson

I don't know how to figure out the extra value people use but I would imagine Zimmerman's $74 million sunk cost off-sets most of Fulmer's extra value making it only need just one premier prospect. Then do some combo of villar & a pitching prospect like Ortiz for Wilson and Kinsler. Thoughts?

I don't think thats close to enough, but I guess I have a tough time with how much value salary relief is for a team. I would think Brinson, Ortiz, Diaz, Dubon, lower end player.

Before the JD Martinez trade, I was kicking around the concept of the Brewers getting Jordan Zimmerman, JD Martinez, Justin Wilson and cash from the Tigers, the Tigers getting a couple decent prospects out of the Brewers system (maybe a combo like Cordell and Ponce), then the Brewers flipping JD Martinez to a third team and getting three prospects backs, the best of the three would get shuffled back to the Tigers. So the Brewers would have ended up Zimmerman, Wilson, two prospects from the third team's system and some cash from Detroit....Detroit gets two prospects from the Brewers and one prospect from the third team, and the third team gets JD Martinez. Zimmerman's contract is so bad though I never could get the cash part of the trade to match up where it would make sense between Milwaukee and Detroit. And in the end Martinez didn't bring enough of a haul to make all the pieces fit anyway.

I think the Tigers are stuck with Zimmerman unless he puts together a great first half in 2018. As of now his contract is unmovable IMO.

I had read a couple articles early in the season that named Zimmerman's contract the worst in baseball. Now we know that the Sandoval contract was even worse. But only considering the contracts where the team is still stuck with the player, I would argue that Albert Pujol's contract is the worst in baseball. People might argue that he still hits home runs has a chance to get to 100 RBIs, but in my book a DH that is slashing .238/.285/.381/.666 is completely worthless. Then figure in that he's 37 years old so there likely isn't any significant improvement in sight and the fact he is still owed 114 million after this season...I can't imagine there is a contract in baseball that is worse than that albatross deal.

I had read a couple articles early in the season that named Zimmerman's contract the worst in baseball. Now we know that the Sandoval contract was even worse. But only considering the contracts where the team is still stuck with the player, I would argue that Albert Pujol's contract is the worst in baseball. People might argue that he still hits home runs has a chance to get to 100 RBIs, but in my book a DH that is slashing .238/.285/.381/.666 is completely worthless. Then figure in that he's 37 years old so there likely isn't any significant improvement in sight and the fact he is still owed 114 million after this season...I can't imagine there is a contract in baseball that is worse than that albatross deal.

I would also say Pujols is worse than Zimmermann. Also, not quite up there, but Jason Heyward's contract is a rough one.

Tom‏

@Haudricourt

#Brewers, who picked up rental reliever in Anthony Swarzak, are monitoring rental starter tonight, Texas' Yu Darvish.

8:02 PM - 26 Jul 2017

More likely they were monitoring Jhoulys Chacin who won his 10th game of the year last night for the Pads.

Archived