Brewer Fanatic

Broxton down.... Sogard up

rickh150

Took one post back. Go away. This type of stuff is just flat out annoying.

Regardless of the content of the post or the poster, let's please stop telling posters to get out or go away. Use the "report a post" feature or PM a mod if you see something that shouldn't be posted. These "go away" posts are cluttering up threads and conversation as much as the troll posts and stuff that people don't want to see.

There's where I disagree with ya completely. Mods have not done a great job as of late with the shenanigans from a few posters. It's really taken a toll on this place in quite a few threads.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Everyone thinks that because Broxton looks young and plays young that he's young. He isn't that young. He's 27. Putting it into perspective, he's a year older than Mike Trout and more than 2 years older than Bryce Harper. His ceiling in some eyes was that of a Mike Cameron type player, but at the age he broke in, he simply doesn't have multiple seasons to work it out especially when two of the top Brewer prospects play the same position. It's hard not to like Broxton, but it's a bottom line business and he could be out of chances or down to one if all works out and the prospects don't shine. He's kind of at their mercy.

Broxton and Villar to Detroit in a Wilson/Kinsler deal? Heck, throw in Peralta, too.

Nobody is gonna make this deal.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean some team won't take Broxton or Villar or both along with a good prospect or two. I could see Detroit taking either as part of a deal for either Wilson or Kinsler.

Everyone thinks that because Broxton looks young and plays young that he's young. He isn't that young. He's 27. Putting it into perspective, he's a year older than Mike Trout and more than 2 years older than Bryce Harper. His ceiling in some eyes was that of a Mike Cameron type player, but at the age he broke in, he simply doesn't have multiple seasons to work it out especially when two of the top Brewer prospects play the same position. It's hard not to like Broxton, but it's a bottom line business and he could be out of chances or down to one if all works out and the prospects don't shine. He's kind of at their mercy.

How old was Gomez when he started to break out? Could see Broxton making a similar push for a year or two. Also could see him quickly not being able to sustain it as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Took one post back. Go away. This type of stuff is just flat out annoying.

Regardless of the content of the post or the poster, let's please stop telling posters to get out or go away. Use the "report a post" feature or PM a mod if you see something that shouldn't be posted. These "go away" posts are cluttering up threads and conversation as much as the troll posts and stuff that people don't want to see.

There's where I disagree with ya completely. Mods have not done a great job as of late with the shenanigans from a few posters. It's really taken a toll on this place in quite a few threads.

We can't be everywhere. Threads sometimes progress quickly. Using the reporting feature alerts a mod to a problem right away since we get a "bat signal". I will say that we have banned one user recently because of two reports of bad behavior. System works. Gotta use it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I did not use average because I thought it was a good statistic to use. It was purely used to show one can make a player look bad by cherry picking just as one can cherry pick to make one look good.

You say he isn't replacement level, but then say with his defense from last year he is close to average(not even average yet). Sounds like a guy who is replacement level. I have seen the strikeout thing mentioned a lot lately and it is a bit ironic because earlier this season(or before the season can't remember) many didn't appreciate those who were pessimistic about Broxton due to the K's.

Being below average is not the same as replacement or garbage. I think the point being made is you don't seem to have any room between garbage and average. Not all players who produce below expectations/average are garbage. Garbage is completely useless. Broxton is not completely useless.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

0.6 is easily above replacement level? Pretty generous wording I would say. Not to mention it depends on who you use to get your WAR calculations. BR would have him easily below replacement level.

Yes 0.6 when 2 is league average is way above replacement level. Baseball reference WAR is terrible so of course I don't use it. Even if you average them it has him above replacement level.

0.6 is easily above replacement level? Pretty generous wording I would say. Not to mention it depends on who you use to get your WAR calculations. BR would have him easily below replacement level.

Yes 0.6 when 2 is league average is way above replacement level. Baseball reference WAR is terrible so of course I don't use it. Even if you average them it has him above replacement level.

You said easily. He would need to be approx. 4x better to be league average. He is way closer to replacement level than he is to average.

You said easily. He would need to be approx. 4x better to be league average. He is way closer to replacement level than he is to average.

2 is average over the course of an entire season. Not 3/5 of a season or whatever they're at.

2 is average over the course of an entire season. Not 3/5 of a season or whatever they're at.

and of course WAR is a counting stat so the number of games do have to be taken into account.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yes my bad so he he like a 1 WAR player...half way to being average. I don't see all the value in something like that. He seems to be average at best with the upside starting to fade quickly. If I was the Brewers I might look to trade him while there is still a little bit of shine to him. Teams don't want streaky players where most of it is streaky bad and leading the lead in strikeouts. I don't hate Keon Broxton, but he is what he is. With two top CF prospects it was time to go. Some teams out there would want Broxton, but only because they are desperate. Not because they actually want a guy like Keon Broxton roaming CF.

Yes .6 is easily above 0 on a scale of 0 to 2. Lets move this to a scale people are more used to. Pick a number between 0 (replacement) and 10 (average) with 5 being the mid point. His number would be 3. You could call 1 or 2 near replacement since it is closer to the end point than the mid point, but once you get into the 3 and 4 range it is closer to the mid point than the end point so it is easily above the end point.

Broxton has been just a guy, he isn't hurting the team, he isn't really helping it. If you add in his full major league stats he has been closer to average than replacement level. I don't mind trading him at all because I don't think he is capable of fixing his biggest flaw, but it just isn't fair to call him replacement level. In 572 PA in his career he has put up 2.5 WAR, that is a player with value. The issue here is still that people fixate on avg and ERA way too much and assign player value based on those two numbers, two numbers which really don't matter all that much in the big picture.

Archived