Brewer Fanatic

Broxton down.... Sogard up

rickh150

They need both Phillips and Brinson at this point.

Broxton is beyond struggling and Braun can't be called on to play a week straight.

Broxton was my favorite of the lost cost DS pick ups. He just hasn't panned out. He has the tools but he is missing fastballs right down the middle.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Brinson needs to be up, as well.

And play him where? Once Braunfels is back the outfield is pretty much set and you're having o e of Phillips and Brinson on the bench. Now obviously Braunfels will probably miss more time but I'm not a fan of having him sit for a few days. Let him play everyday I CS until there's a more permanent spot open.

I think the Brewers are going to use the next few weeks to showcase Maverick as the outfielder they're willing to trade (as opposed to Brinson, who'll be up after the deadline, or Ray).

I think the Brewers demoted Broxton because he is garbage. Brett Phillips is getting a chance because he was already here(since they prefer giving him sporadic playing time vs. Brinson) and in that sporadic playing time has looked competent. Now he will get to have lots of playing time and prove something to the Brewers. Showcasing a guy with no MLB experience for a week is not a great idea. Most normal players are going to look terrible trying to adjust.

This is about Keon Broxton sucking and Brett Phillips getting a chance to capture the CF job. Could they trade Phillips? Sure. I don't think they are using this to market him though.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Brinson needs to be up, as well.

And play him where? Once Braunfels is back the outfield is pretty much set and you're having o e of Phillips and Brinson on the bench. Now obviously Braunfels will probably miss more time but I'm not a fan of having him sit for a few days. Let him play everyday I CS until there's a more permanent spot open.

You know Braun won't play everyday.

Phillips isn't playing daily and likely will sit vs lefties.

Perez has struggled.

It's late July..... Brinson has a bunch of at bats this year already. He will learn more in a pennant drive playing half as much. He's also very talented.

Also, I would like Broxton up too for base stealing and defense purposes in sept., if not sooner when trades are made and the pitching staff is at 12 pitchers.

Its too bad about Broxton as for as much as his Achilles heel is inconsistency, he was very consistently good during the last couple months of 2016 and I was really hoping he could build on that . But that K rate is just killing him.

And the thing about it is that his plate discipline really isn't all that bad. He doesn't swing at a ton of bad pitches . He just misses so many hittable pitches you'd think he has a hole in his bat.

Hopefully it's something correctable for the next time he's up.

Guy reminds me of Weeks so much in the sense that you look at his tools and think 'He could be really good if he could just put it all together.'

Unfortunately he hasn't so far other than the last couple months of 2016.

Verified Member
Broxton has all the defensive tools but needs to hit consistently. Hopefully he'll get on a roll in Colorado Springs and be back in September. Brinson might be ready but it looks like Phillips will get his shot.

Broxton and Villar to Detroit in a Wilson/Kinsler deal? Heck, throw in Peralta, too.

I'm sure the Tigers are falling over themselves to get ahold of our underperforming assets.

Heck, let's throw in Taylor Jungmann too.

You're welcome Tiger fans!

Honestly, the Kinsler and Verlander trade rumor threads have also been very entertaining to read through as almost every trade proposal for the Tigers best players have been straight up comical.

Kinsler & Verlander may be two of the Tigers best players but when you weigh their current production against their remaining contracts neither player has any real surplus value to speak of, thus shouldn't require much prospect capital in return.

I think the Brewers are going to use the next few weeks to showcase Maverick as the outfielder they're willing to trade (as opposed to Brinson, who'll be up after the deadline, or Ray).

I think the Brewers demoted Broxton because he is garbage. Brett Phillips is getting a chance because he was already here(since they prefer giving him sporadic playing time vs. Brinson) and in that sporadic playing time has looked competent. Now he will get to have lots of playing time and prove something to the Brewers. Showcasing a guy with no MLB experience for a week is not a great idea. right now, but "garbage?" Most normal players are going to look terrible trying to adjust.

This is about Keon Broxton sucking and Brett Phillips getting a chance to capture the CF job.

Could they trade Phillips? Sure. I don't think they are using this to market him though.

I get it, Broxton has fallen off the cliff lately. I do hope, and I feel he can make it back. But he may never.

What I do not get is you call him "garbage." Why the high level personal nasty attack? He is not at all good now, but c'mon, "garbage?" That is nasty and uncalled for.

I think the Brewers demoted Broxton because he is garbage. Brett Phillips is getting a chance because he was already here(since they prefer giving him sporadic playing time vs. Brinson) and in that sporadic playing time has looked competent. Now he will get to have lots of playing time and prove something to the Brewers. Showcasing a guy with no MLB experience for a week is not a great idea. right now, but "garbage?" Most normal players are going to look terrible trying to adjust.

This is about Keon Broxton sucking and Brett Phillips getting a chance to capture the CF job.

Could they trade Phillips? Sure. I don't think they are using this to market him though.

I get it, Broxton has fallen off the cliff lately. I do hope, and I feel he can make it back. But he may never.

What I do not get is you call him "garbage." Why the high level personal nasty attack? He is not at all good now, but c'mon, "garbage?" That is nasty and uncalled for.

I agree with this. Yes he's been struggling badly and he's not right at the moment. He knows it. But even with that he's put together a 14 HR, 17 SB, and .725 OPS in just over half a season from the CF position. Those are far from terrible numbers. There are far worse players that survived on the MLB roster for longer. Calling him 'garbage' is way over the top.

Keon was sent down because he has options and we have options. If he didn't or we didn't he wouldn't be going anywhere. If we had to DFA him and place him on waivers he'd be claimed by another team in a heartbeat.

I agree with this. Yes he's been struggling badly and he's not right at the moment. He knows it. But even with that he's put together a 14 HR, 17 SB, and .725 OPS in just over half a season from the CF position. Those are far from terrible numbers. There are far worse players that survived on the MLB roster for longer. Calling him 'garbage' is way over the top.

Keon was sent down because he has options and we have options. If he didn't or we didn't he wouldn't be going anywhere. If we had to DFA him and place him on waivers he'd be claimed by another team in a heartbeat.

Anyone can cherry pick numbers to make someone look good.

Or bad:

.218 AVG

124 Ks

His wRC+ is 83 second to last among qualified CFers. The long brutal slumps aren't worth the hot streaks. His defense also isn't anything to write home about. About time the Brewers stop trotting out a replacement level CFer. Maybe he can go figure something out in AAA. I still think there is some upside to him, but we can't be wasting time right now trying to find it as we compete.

Or bad:

.218 AVG

124 Ks

His wRC+ is 83 second to last among qualified CFers. The long brutal slumps aren't worth the hot streaks. His defense also isn't anything to write home about. About time the Brewers stop trotting out a replacement level CFer. Maybe he can go figure something out in AAA. I still think there is some upside to him, but we can't be wasting time right now trying to find it as we compete.

OPS is way, way more meaningful than batting average.

Yes, Broxton has struggled this year and is arguably replacement level (actually 0.5 fWAR), but he was over a 2 WAR player in very limited ABs last year . The talent is clearly there.

The argument was never over whether be deserves to go to AAA right now. I never disagreed with that. But overall he's not a garbage player, even if his recent streak has been.

I don't know how to evaluate his defensive abilities. Last year, his range made him one of the best. This year has obviously not been up to par there. The range is still there but he's botching too many easy plays and making an abnormal amount of errors for a centerfielder.

Community Moderator
I don't have any issues with Broxton being sent to Triple-A, but I won't be thrilled if both Brinson and Broxton being in Colorado Springs bumps Brinson out of getting every day reps in center field.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Or bad:

.218 AVG

124 Ks

Anyone can not understand stats and use the wrong ones to evaluate a player. Broxton has been an above replacement level player this season. If he were playing the same defense he played last year he might even be close to average. But he has a huge flaw and it is a flaw that has not improved at all this season and in fact has gone the wrong way. I would send him down and tell him he has to lower his K% to keep his job in the organization and if he can't do it then so be it, we get rid of him. You just can't K at 38% and survive in the majors unless you are the best defensive player in the game and he isn't that. Even if that means choking up and hitting for less power he simply has to reduce those strike outs.

Or bad:

.218 AVG

124 Ks

Anyone can not understand stats and use the wrong ones to evaluate a player. Broxton has been an above replacement level player this season. If he were playing the same defense he played last year he might even be close to average. But he has a huge flaw and it is a flaw that has not improved at all this season and in fact has gone the wrong way. I would send him down and tell him he has to lower his K% to keep his job in the organization and if he can't do it then so be it, we get rid of him. You just can't K at 38% and survive in the majors unless you are the best defensive player in the game and he isn't that. Even if that means choking up and hitting for less power he simply has to reduce those strike outs.

I did not use average because I thought it was a good statistic to use. It was purely used to show one can make a player look bad by cherry picking just as one can cherry pick to make one look good.

You say he isn't replacement level, but then say with his defense from last year he is close to average(not even average yet). Sounds like a guy who is replacement level. I have seen the strikeout thing mentioned a lot lately and it is a bit ironic because earlier this season(or before the season can't remember) many didn't appreciate those who were pessimistic about Broxton due to the K's.

I recall saying a handful of days ago that Brinson (even though it's actually Phillips because he was a lefty and already up filling in but said he should be brought up as the 4th splitting time with Brinson and backup for up Santana/Braun) can take over immediately and be an upgrade and I was met with a resounding "you don't know sheet and if the Brewers wanted someone up they'd do it already". How's that working out? Good times

Broxton is an average startin CF. wRC+ only covers offense and while his defense isn't as up to par as last year he's still a strong defender and his skill set and talent are that of an average starting CF flashing better than that sporadically throughout the season

I recall saying a handful of days ago that Brinson (even though it's actually Phillips because he was a lefty and already up filling in but said he should be brought up as the 4th splitting time with Brinson and backup for up Santana/Braun) can take over immediately and be an upgrade and I was met with a resounding "you don't know sheet and if the Brewers wanted someone up they'd do it already". How's that working out? Good times

Broxton is an average startin CF. wRC+ only covers offense and while his defense isn't as up to par as last year he's still a strong defender and his skill set and talent are that of an average starting CF flashing better than that sporadically throughout the season

Took one post back. Go away. This type of stuff is just flat out annoying.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Has Brett Phillips been an immediate upgrade yet? I don't see why you are doing a chest pounding post when that hasn't happened. Not saying it won't happen...but as of right now Brett Phillips hasn't been all that great.

I will not comment on your sheet knowledge as I don't have enough fabric experience in my life. I need to watch more video.

#1) No one ever, ever said that Broxton wouldn't be optioned at some point this season if he didn't pick up his game

#2) You also said that Josh Hader wasn't moving from the rotation to the bullpen and you said that Stephen Vogt was a terrible acquisition. You also were a big advocate of Broxton turning it around early in the season and said Brinson needed more time. So don't go too crazy patting yourself on the back.

Human who wants some water, you really believe you were the first and only one to suggest Brinson should be brought up? There were about 1,312 people who wanted that long before you came trolling.

Interesting, a friend of mine who's a Princeton grad and works for a Fortune 438 company told my uncle's friend that Ned Yost said Human that likes drinking water always pats himself on the back for nothing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Took one post back. Go away. This type of stuff is just flat out annoying.

Regardless of the content of the post or the poster, let's please stop telling posters to get out or go away. Use the "report a post" feature or PM a mod if you see something that shouldn't be posted. These "go away" posts are cluttering up threads and conversation as much as the troll posts and stuff that people don't want to see.

Archived