Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Wilkerson

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know if it matters all that much what he does in the minors anymore as he already has been labeled a AAAA guy by some. He will have to prove it in the majors when he gets his opportunity and that should happen at some point this year since he is already on the 40 man.

Wouldn't a AAAA guy, by common definition, be an advanced-age guy who shows well in AAA, but hasn't shown enough in his big league opportunities to stick? If that is the case, a picture of Wilkerson (who turns 30 next month) might as well be next to the Wikipedia entry. I would say the chance is just as high that he's dropped from the 40-man as he pitches for the Brewers this year. The fact that they decided not to call him up in September last year after the AAA season concluded, I think, was pretty telling on how they feel about his future chance to make an impact.

Houser I think has fixed himself above Wilkerson in pecking order but sure we will see him at some point. At his age when you get chances you need to shine. He hasn’t in limited opportunities & has done nothing to break AAAA stereotype. He could be serviceable and good depth but don’t think he will ever be in rotation. Upside just not there.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• 1 month later...
aaron wilkerson continues to shine for san antonio. 7.0 innings of shutout, 1-hit ball last night.

0.46 era and opponents hitting just .135 against him.

Maybe just Maybe he’s more than the spot starter, depth piece. In any event he should be given an opportunity to start for the crew. I like the fact he’s a real pitcher, only 91, but plus Breaking pitches and plus control gives him a good chance to be another mike fiers.

He's probably a better long man for the pen than Peralta, given that he has multiple pitches. Still, great position to be in depth wise, even with Chacin floundering.

If only it were that simple. Hopefully Wilkerson is on the upswing in terms of talent growth but he hasn't shown anything in the majors to suggest he'd be more effective than Peralta. He could be the AAAA player he's shown himself to be so far.

He's probably a better long man for the pen than Peralta, given that he has multiple pitches. Still, great position to be in depth wise, even with Chacin floundering.

If only it were that simple. Hopefully Wilkerson is on the upswing in terms of talent growth but he hasn't shown anything in the majors to suggest he'd be more effective than Peralta. He could be the AAAA player he's shown himself to be so far.

Wilkerson has performed fine in MLB in limited opportunities. He just needs opportunities.

Guys generally don't "figure it out" at age 30 in AAA. He's roster filler, 4A at best.

He’s been outstanding in the minors his entire career. Saying he’s figuring it out this year is an insult to his body of work

Guys generally don't "figure it out" at age 30 in AAA. He's roster filler, 4A at best.

He’s been outstanding in the minors his entire career. Saying he’s figuring it out this year is an insult to his body of work

Agree, been very good in minors, but this year is just at another level.

I think some people underestimate how difficult it is being shuttled back and forth between the majors and AAA, often with no advance notice because they need a fresh arm, and how stressful it is to know/think that you only have one or two opportunities to impress in order to stay. I know on one of his callups his luggage got lost/delayed, and he had to borrow somebody else's shoes - for something as precise as pitching, to suddenly be in a different pair of shoes trying to pitch off of a mound can't be easy.

He's never had the luxury of being told he has a spot on the team and has more than one or two appearances to prove himself. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to someone is to feel like you only have one chance and thus have to be perfect.

I think some people underestimate how difficult it is being shuttled back and forth between the majors and AAA, often with no advance notice because they need a fresh arm, and how stressful it is to know/think that you only have one or two opportunities to impress in order to stay. I know on one of his callups his luggage got lost/delayed, and he had to borrow somebody else's shoes - for something as precise as pitching, to suddenly be in a different pair of shoes trying to pitch off of a mound can't be easy.

He's never had the luxury of being told he has a spot on the team and has more than one or two appearances to prove himself. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to someone is to feel like you only have one chance and thus have to be perfect.

I hope he comes up and carries over his AAA performance if given the chance. I'm just not counting on it like some seem to be. Twice now I've seen people assume he's more valuable in the Brewers pen then Peralta. That seems very odd to me. We have MLB track records for both. One has had significant stretches of dominance at 22 and the other has pitched 26 mediocre to poor MLB innings over the past 3 seasons and is 30. That's before mentioning that Peralta has a 2.20 ERA with 18Ks / 3BBs over the last 30 days. People see the sparkling AAA numbers and assume it translates into at least average in MLB. Baseball is littered with players who conquered Triple A but never made any impact at all in the majors. I hope Wilkerson breaks that trend but barring an injury I don't see who I'd want gone to gamble that he isn't what he's shown himself to be so far. If Burnes continues to get lit up, I'm assuming Nelson gets his spot on the staff.

Agree, been very good in minors, but this year is just at another level.

I don't know. I looked at his minor league career. Nothing jumps out at me. Some good years but mostly average to meh.

Wilkerson has performed fine in MLB in limited opportunities. He just needs opportunities.

He hasn't performed fine. If he had performed fine, he wouldn't be in the minors.

Wilkerson is your protical AAAA pitcher.

Reminds me alot of Brad Mills.

Guy was consistently good in the Pacific Coast League (3.88 career minors ERA) but could never translate any of it to the MLB (7.97 ERA).

I’d like to see him send Chacín to the pen, and be given 2-3 starts min.with his pitch mix and command, he can outpitch Chacín and certainly go deeper. I mean in his first start with the crew he took a no hitter into the 8th vs the cards. The guy knows how to pitch.

Wilkerson is your prototypical AAAA pitcher.
He hasn't performed fine. If he had performed fine, he wouldn't be in the minors.

He's had all of 26.2 IP to prove himself, and of those, 18.1 have been on the day he was called up, likely involving a very early flight, not much sleep, and in one case, lost luggage that required him to borrow someone else's shoes while he made a spot start.

(Despite that, his career numbers are a FIP of 4.62, xFIP of 4.28, with 8.4 K/9 and 3.57 K/BB.)

I do not understand how anyone can say his major league performance has been anything but a small sample, and with extenuating circumstances behind most of it.

The guy's earned a shot, and not just a few mopup innings to save the bullpen. Nelson sure looked like he needed more work. Some of that might have been nerves, but if doesn't improve off that in his next start, then they should make room for a guy with a 0.40 ERA in AAA.

Archived