Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Wilkerson

What more does this guy need to do to earn a shot at the big league level? He doesn't really look like he has anything left to prove at the minor league levels. I understand he doesn't throw very hard but I have to feel like he could at least take up a bullpen spot, eat multiple innings if needed, spot start.

Is he just not considered an MLB arm at this point? Has anybody seen him throw? Is he one of those guys that has lived off of great control in the minors but doesn't really have the stuff to get past MLB bats, or lacks command?

I guess maybe if the Brewers weren't in the position they are now he would be getting a shot.

If the Brewers were to swing some deals together in the upcoming days, he's a guy if I was the other team I'd ask for as a throw in.

• 1 month later...

i can understand why wilkerson hasn't been promoted to the big leagues yet, but it's puzzling why he hasn't been given a shot at aaa this year.

biloxi's playoff chances are slim, whereas colorado springs' chances are very strong (magic number 4). perhaps when some aaa players are recalled in september, wilkerson will be asked to pitch for colorado springs in the playoffs?

(Wilkerson) isn't in AAA now for the same reason he wasn't at the beginning of the year: with his stuff, he's likely going to get crushed in Colorado Springs. His fastball only grazes 90 without significant movement, and he relies on a curveball. That's a recipe for high altitude disaster.

if used as a starting pitcher in the postseason, rick sweet could ensure that wilkerson pitched on the road. the first round, they would be playing games three - five in memphis. for the second round, they'd also be playing games three - five on the road.

• 2 weeks later...
(Wilkerson) isn't in AAA now for the same reason he wasn't at the beginning of the year: with his stuff, he's likely going to get crushed in Colorado Springs. His fastball only grazes 90 without significant movement, and he relies on a curveball. That's a recipe for high altitude disaster.

if used as a starting pitcher in the postseason, rick sweet could ensure that wilkerson pitched on the road. the first round, they would be playing games three - five in memphis. for the second round, they'd also be playing games three - five on the road.

i had that wrong . . . games one and two are on the road at memphis.

wilkerson is starting game two for colorado springs.

It's not always as easy as "just put him in the pen." He would be no different than Torres, Barnes, everyone else people constantly complain about. His value is that of an emergency starter. I think he's better than Espino, Milone, etc.

What you would get is a starter who may go 6-7 innings one day and have really good results, then a mediocre start or two, probably an awful start mixed in. Wilkerson (and Jungmann for that matter) serve a purpose next year if they're both still around. Guys that come up and spot start, or even go several starts if needed.

Release Garza already and give Wilkerson his spot on the 40 man after the AAA playoffs. He's earned it.

I agree. I don't really care about earning it. But if he you think there is a chance he can help you, see what you got. The rebuild has been predicated on giving unknown and blocked commodities a chance (and acquiring as much talent as possible). Garza is the opposite of that. The results are predictable and the best you can hope for is mediocrity.

I'll even entertain the argument that the odds of success are the same between Garza and Wilkerson, but one has the upside of a controllable asset. If he fails, you fail, but at least you found out what you had. When Garza fails, we already knew what we had.

No point to adding Wilkerson until he's done with his playoff run.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yea, I don't care about the "earning it" part either. But at this point, I can't see a good reason for Wilkerson NOT to replace Garza. Rebuilding year, or if they're tied for 1st- doesn't matter. I just don't want to see Garza get a another start, and Wilkerson seems to be the most logical person to take his spot at this point. I don't see a downside. And no, I care not what happens to the Sky Sox in the playoffs. They can always use Burnes , Ponce, Peralta, whoever. But the Sky Sox are there to support the Brewers, not the other way around.

As for Garza, if they feel it necessary to let the veteran save face, throw him on the 10 day DL. Strained quad, bruised ego, whatever.

• 1 year later...
nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.

nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.

Do you think it's at all possible the Brewers would go with a 6 man rotation once Nelson comes back? I think this would be an easier argument if they had the pen they expected with Hader-Knebel, Jeffress and then Wahl emerging as another high leverage reliever and then Guerra, Anderson, Albers and Claudio to round it out. But wouldn't this be a better would this be a better way of stretching these pitchers out and trying to limit their innings. It feels like the extra day of rest has led to some suggesting pitchers coming over from Japan have tired early, but I don't know how much there is to back that up.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Do you think it's at all possible the Brewers would go with a 6 man rotation once Nelson comes back? I think this would be an easier argument if they had the pen they expected with Hader-Knebel, Jeffress and then Wahl emerging as another high leverage reliever and then Guerra, Anderson, Albers and Claudio to round it out. But wouldn't this be a better would this be a better way of stretching these pitchers out and trying to limit their innings. It feels like the extra day of rest has led to some suggesting pitchers coming over from Japan have tired early, but I don't know how much there is to back that up.

I don't think that works with the staff as constructed, as it puts too much strain on too few quality bullpen options right now - plus it would screw with the more established starting pitcher schedules of Chacin, Davies, and in part Woodruff. What I think makes more sense when Nelson comes back is to play musical chairs with starts for 3-4 starting pitchers. The Brewers could easily go through a turn with Chacin, Nelson, Woodruff, Peralta, and Davies while having Burnes miss a start and remain in the pen as a relief option for a few appearances in that ~10 game stretch he doesn't make a start. Next time through the rotation he could switch roles with Woodruff, next time through it could be Peralta or even Nelson. On top of that, they could even give Anderson a few starts to have even more flexibility without having to burn options or start a AAA shuttle - that's all assuming injuries are largely avoided (fingers crossed).

It won't be a true 6 man rotation - they will stick with the 5 spots, but a few of those spots will consist of multiple starting pitchers even without having to tap into AAA starting options.

I don't think that works with the staff as constructed, as it puts too much strain on too few quality bullpen options right now - plus it would screw with the more established starting pitcher schedules of Chacin, Davies, and in part Woodruff. What I think makes more sense when Nelson comes back is to play musical chairs with starts for 3-4 starting pitchers. The Brewers could easily go through a turn with Chacin, Nelson, Woodruff, Peralta, and Davies while having Burnes miss a start and remain in the pen as a relief option for a few appearances in that ~10 game stretch he doesn't make a start. Next time through the rotation he could switch roles with Woodruff, next time through it could be Peralta or even Nelson. On top of that, they could even give Anderson a few starts to have even more flexibility without having to burn options or start a AAA shuttle - that's all assuming injuries are largely avoided (fingers crossed).

It won't be a true 6 man rotation - they will stick with the 5 spots, but a few of those spots will consist of multiple starting pitchers even without having to tap into AAA starting options.

I wouldn't be worried about it messing with their normal schedule too much as there are plenty of times throughout a year where you have a day off and you'd have the same type of situation.

But I think you're right, if they had their full BP options, that'd be easier to navigate, but you have no clue what you're getting from anyone not named Hader right now.

If you could have gone with Guerra/Anderson/Wahl as your middle relievers, Hader to come in where needed and then Knebel and Jeffress to finish them off(maybe throw in Albers as well I guess as he's had success every other year lately+ a guy like Sanchez or whoever) it'd be so much easier.

As for now, I'd agree, it's too difficult without having your BP in place.

I don't know if it matters all that much what he does in the minors anymore as he already has been labeled a AAAA guy by some. He will have to prove it in the majors when he gets his opportunity and that should happen at some point this year since he is already on the 40 man.

Archived