Brewer Fanatic

Justin Wilson

Yeah, the argument that the Cubs won't be good in a few years because they won't have any prospects isn't a great one. They have other resources to continue their success. It's going to be a tough road for the Crew. Not like it already hasn't been one.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilson headed to the Cubs

I saw the same. For candelario and a lesser prospect. I'm extremely surprised that Detroit didn't get a better package. Candelario seems like a highly overrated prospect due to being in a big market. He took a step back this year in aaa and I don't think he'll be a strong defender at 3rd. He comes off as 2nd division regular to me.

Boo the cubs

That's a great big picture scenario for us, actually.

It would be great in the big picture if it were a team like us doing it. Chicago can make up for their lack of prospects by signing free agents, overspending on the draft and overspending on international free agents. Chicago doesn't need to rely on their farm system as much as we do so I don't think them trading away their top prospects is as big a deal as some make it out to be. The guys they traded to get Quintana are 3-4 years away from the majors, if they even make it. A lot can happen in 3-4 years. Meanwhile the Cubs are improving their major league team for the next few years, which is ultimately the goal.

Yea they have Quintana for three more years and can use free agency to add team depth.

Crew not in on Verlander...

that link doesn't mean the brewers are not in on Verlander, its just why he doesn't make sense. it would be a way to get a good starter without giving up prospects. i don't rule out the brewers getting him.

So at this point the Brewers hopes of adding a significant player pretty much come down to whether or not Kate Upton likes cheese curds.

Great.

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Screen-Shot-2017-02-15-at-3.15.50-AM-e1487146857798.png

Looks like the Cubs are likely to land Justin Wilson...Lovely.

I hope they do. They're in a bidding war with the Dodgers and I hope they win it. They can exhaust the last few remaining useful assets in their farm system for a good not great reliever with only 1+ remaining year of control. That's a great big picture scenario for us, actually.

This is just hilarious adam...you really think the Cubs care about their farm system?? They don't. Their major league team just keeps getting better and better, that's all they care about(what a novel concept..wish the Brewers would adopt this philosophy). When guys are free agents, they decide who they want to keep, pay them, don't pay the ones they want to let walk, acquire more big name stud FA's to replace them, and away they go. There is ZERO big picture scenario for the Brewers in regards to this, other than the Cubs just keep getting better and better by acquiring young, controllable talent(EXACTLY what DS claims he wants), and the crickets keep chirping in DS's office with his lack of doing anything.

EDIT: Post modified to comply with forum ettiquette rules which prohibit cuss words using asterisks (*).

What is even more hilarious is the fact you are comparing the Cubs to the Brewers.

Let's see:

Cubs:

-Just won World Series

-Coming off 100+ win season

-Loaded with stars

-Can handle $200mil payroll

-Millions coming off books this winter

Brewers:

-Were expected to be one of MLBs worst teams

-Terrible last year

-Zero star players

-Lucky to have a payroll half of what the Cubs can handle.

-Can't sign big ticket FAs

I recall you claiming you would be a great GM. I actually think with you at the helm we wouldn't make the playoffs this year or next year or the next. After a few mediocre seasons I think you would get us on an incredible streak of 100 loss seasons. We wouldn't sniff .500 until at least 7 years after you are fired because that is how long it would take to clean up the nuclear bomb struck roster you plan to create.

Looks like the Cubs are likely to land Justin Wilson...Lovely.

I hope they do. They're in a bidding war with the Dodgers and I hope they win it. They can exhaust the last few remaining useful assets in their farm system for a good not great reliever with only 1+ remaining year of control. That's a great big picture scenario for us, actually.

This is just hilarious adam...you really think the Cubs care about their farm system?? They don't. Their major league team just keeps getting better and better, that's all they care about(what a novel concept..wish the Brewers would adopt this philosophy). When guys are free agents, they decide who they want to keep, pay them, don't pay the ones they want to let walk, acquire more big name stud FA's to replace them, and away they go. There is ZERO big picture scenario for the Brewers in regards to this, other than the Cubs just keep getting better and better by acquiring young, controllable talent(EXACTLY what DS claims he wants), and the crickets keep chirping in DS's office with his lack of doing anything.

I am so glad you are not our GM. You really still don't get it. The Cubs are in a completely different position than us. They are in a win now phase, we are not. The big picture scenario here is that Wilson helps the Cubs only this year and next year, and not beyond that. So if they want to spend their last bit of useable trade bait on an ok reliever who is only controllable for 1 year, more power to them.

Having a weak farm isn't just about not having help coming up the pipeline; yes, they can spend money. It's also about not having the trade chips in their arsensl in a year or two and in this position again to make any more deadline splashes.

Yes, the Cubs are almost certain to win the division, yes it's disappointing. No we should not be taking drastic measures to try to prevent thst this year which would most likely be in vain anyway. DS isn't doing anything he shouldn't be doing at the deadline this year, and I'm very pleased to see he isn't close to the level of panicky and knee-jerk that you are.

Archived