Brewer Fanatic

Justin Wilson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that I would classify our situation as hanging on for dear life quite yet.

What's it going to take to get this guy? Looks like he's under control next year too, which I like.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't know that I would classify our situation as hanging on for dear life quite yet.

What's it going to take to get this guy? Looks like he's under control next year too, which I like.

Very Similar to what we got for Will Smith last year

Bickford was the Giants' number one prospect at the time, my guess is it'll be a bit more than Nottingham as the headliner.

I'm just hoping it won't be like Brett Phillips + a throw in, unless we're getting Verlander too (which would then obviously cost even more than that but I'd be fine including Phillips then).

Hoping for something like Trey Supak/Troy Stokes Jr.

Bickford was the Giants' number one prospect at the time, my guess is it'll be a bit more than Nottingham as the headliner.

I'm just hoping it won't be like Brett Phillips + a throw in, unless we're getting Verlander too (which would then obviously cost even more than that but I'd be fine including Phillips then).

Hoping for something like Trey Supak/Troy Stokes Jr.

And yes, I'm aware that i just told you that it'd take more than Nottingham and then didn't include anyone more than Nottingham. Hoping for a fleecing I guess.

I actually feel like Verlander's contract makes him a liability. If we took that on along with Wilson it should reduce what we have to give them, at least that's how I'd view it. He's owed a ton of money and has been bad this year, and I think is 34. That said, our financial situation would allow such a risk and I'd rather pay $$ than prospects.

I actually feel like Verlander's contract makes him a liability. If we took that on along with Wilson it should reduce what we have to give them, at least that's how I'd view it. He's owed a ton of money and has been bad this year, and I think is 34. That said, our financial situation would allow such a risk and I'd rather pay $$ than prospects.

I should have read the thread before I posted. Yes, I think the same thing. Dumping Verlanders deal is in exchange for a smaller prospect package for Wilson.

Both of you are unrealistic. Wilson comes with control in 2018 and can close. I think it would take Phillips and Supak or Derby at least. If they're lucky, maybe Detroit has interest in Broxton.

Wilson is out of our price range unless we take on a ton of money like Verlander. He won't be a FA until 2019 and has a .94 WHIP and 12.5 K/9.

Looking at what relievers usually go for, especially leftys, this would be a minimum Phillips and one of top 5 guys if this was a straight up trade.

Top prospect(s) for a rental BP arm, fabulous.

Wilson isn't a rental. He's under control through next season. If the Brewers aren't contending in 2018, they can likely get a decent return a year from now or maybe even this winter. Prospects serve dual purposes. Some few become core players. A very few become core players on championship teams. Most don't so dealing some for players that help the major league team make a run when the opportunities arise is what most teams do.

Both of you are unrealistic. Wilson comes with control in 2018 and can close. I think it would take Phillips and Supak or Derby at least. If they're lucky, maybe Detroit has interest in Broxton.

Wilson is out of our price range unless we take on a ton of money like Verlander. He won't be a FA until 2019 and has a .94 WHIP and 12.5 K/9.

Looking at what relievers usually go for, especially leftys, this would be a minimum Phillips and one of top 5 guys if this was a straight up trade.

I'd still do it. You can't look at the players you give up now as the net cost. If they don't contend in 2018, he'll be moved and they'll get a very nice prospect back. A splendid opportunity is slipping away fast, and lack of that veteran shut down relief guy might be a more gaping hole than a rotation that at least should get Anderson back in a few weeks.

Doesn't the Madson/Doolittle trade kind of dampen the relief market? Those are two high quality RP and they didn't exactly bring back the Brett Phillips and Lewis Brinsons of the world.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'd love to add Verlander to the deal to not give up many prospects but that feels too good to be true to me.

He is owed $56M plus a possible $22M vesting option plus the remainder of 2017. To the Dodgers that is chump change but the Brewers have never taken on anything like that by many orders of magnitude.

With the Brewers payroll being so low this is intriguing but does this hamper future moves? Right now the only guys we have under contract for next year are Braun and Thames so our payroll is gong to go way up whether we are winning or not.

I'd still do it. You can't look at the players you give up now as the net cost. If they don't contend in 2018, he'll be moved and they'll get a very nice prospect back.

I might as well. I'm just suggesting this is a massive investment that the Brewers have never taken on before.

I'd love to add Verlander to the deal to not give up many prospects but that feels too good to be true to me.

He is owed $56M plus a possible $22M vesting option plus the remainder of 2017. To the Dodgers that is chump change but the Brewers have never taken on anything like that by many orders of magnitude.

With the Brewers payroll being so low this is intriguing but does this hamper future moves? Right now the only guys we have under contract for next year are Braun and Thames so our payroll is gong to go way up whether we are winning or not.

Yeah, the Brewers with Verlander, Braun, Thames, and the 15 other guys on the 25 that we're fairly certain about would add up to about $70 million for 2018 and 2019. I'd bet that Mark could spend up to $120 nowadays if he wanted to so there would be room for filling out the last 5 or so slots. The thing with the roster is that we don't have many spots where we'd be dropping a ton of money to upgrade.

If the $22 million option vests - I'd call it a victory. That means he'd be a top 5 Cy Young candidate in 2019.

This is like the Eric Gagne contract in my opinion. 80% of fans will be losing their mind when he has a 4.50 ERA next year because he's getting paid $28 million. However, it's not a "huge undertaking" because it's not like it's a 7-year deal. It's only a 2-year commitment unless he's really good, which then I'm fine taking the 3rd year. Same with Gagne. It was an "overpay" of $10 million but who cares? It was mostly a strikeout of a contract but it was off the books the following year.

It won't set the Brewers back a ton unless they miss out on some big ticket trade or signing for 2019 that also has a massive contract.

With the way he's pitching I'm not sure I really want him in the first place - but if Mark insists on spending $ at the major league level, this still won't really affect our ability to buy players or keep our own going forward so go ahead if he wishes.

Archived