Brewer Fanatic

Marlins trade David Phelps to Mariners for 4 prospects

And That

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/marlins-trade-david-phelps-mariners.html

Not extremely interesting, other than it further sets the market for pretty good relievers.

A Brewers analogue to the Mariners prospects might be something along the lines of Ryan Cordell, Trey Supak, Braden Webb, and Brad Kuntz. That might be a little more than the Mariners, but it's in the eye of the beholder. The Brewers don't really have a great comp to Brayan Hernandez.

I would consider it an overpay by the Mariners but nothing dramatic. Hernandez is by far the biggest piece in the return but he's the definition of a lottery ticket. Miller is the second best piece, but the #14 ranking in the Marlin's system isn't that impressive considering the Marlins probably have one of the five weakest systems (BA had them ranked #29 heading into the season). I'd stack Miller along with Lopez and Schiraldi all as "fringe prospects" but wouldn't argue if someone wanted to put Miller one notch above that. I calculated Phelps surplus value out at right around 10 million and I'd value the prospects at 17.12 million. If the deal would have been Hernandez and Lopez/Schiraldi (one of the two)...to me that would have been a pretty fair deal. Nice trade by the Marlins.

Archived