Brewer Fanatic

Yankees acquire Robertson, Kahnle, Frazier from White Sox

Eye Black
Community Moderator

The Yankees have reportedly traded for relievers David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle as well as 3B Todd Frazier. The return to the White Sox will include prospects OF Blake Rutherford, LHP Ian Clarkin, and presumably some yet to be announced prospects.

SB Nation Link

Edit: Yankees also sending reliever Tyler Clippard and prospect Tito Polo (OF) to the White Sox.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yeah I don't know how good it is for the Sox at all. I just see these names and know that the Yankees got nothing here, they traded some guys for players who won't matter. They only have 2 pitchers who can go a full season and no prospects that can, this team has no real viable path to the playoffs.

Why is this not good for the White Sox? They traded a 3B baseman rental who isn't even that good, an expensive closer who hasn't been that impressive the last couple years(1.5 years left on deal), and a young reliever who may be something. The only argument against this is the fact Kahnle could be something special in the pen, but his current value isn't all that crazy.

They got an elite OF prospect in Blake Rutherford for some old has beens and a young bullpen arm. They also got another former first round pick in a left handed pitching prospect. I hope we can make a deal like this next time we are rebuilding!

Community Moderator
The only argument against this is the fact Kahnle could be something special in the pen, but his current value isn't all that crazy.

Maybe special in the pen, but allegedly not quite as special in the clubhouse: LaTroy Hawkins says Tommy Kahnle "one of the worst teammates I've ever had in my life."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The only argument against this is the fact Kahnle could be something special in the pen, but his current value isn't all that crazy.

Maybe special in the pen, but allegedly not quite as special in the clubhouse: LaTroy Hawkins says Tommy Kahnle "one of the worst teammates I've ever had in my life."

When you sport a 15 K per 9 IP rate and a 8.5 K/BB ratio, you can be the biggest jerk possible and that would be fine with me. Can't believe the Yanks got the Sox to include Kahnle in the deal. He's controllable through 2020. Sox must have been desperate to shed salary. The prospects they got were "meh". They add depth and some quality but not a lot more. Think the Yankees interest in Frazier was to thwart the Red Sox.

It is an interesting trade, in that it puts pressure on the Red Sox to have to overpay for a different 3B (Josh Donaldson perhaps?) as it was somewhat assumed that Boston would be getting Frazier
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

When you sport a 15 K per 9 IP rate and a 8.5 K/BB ratio, you can be the biggest jerk possible and that would be fine with me. Can't believe the Yanks got the Sox to include Kahnle in the deal. He's controllable through 2020. Sox must have been desperate to shed salary. The prospects they got were "meh". They add depth and some quality but not a lot more. Think the Yankees interest in Frazier was to thwart the Red Sox.

If prospect packages are meh for these packages, we better get a better option in the pen, in the rotation, and/or at 2nd. Offer up 2nd and 3rd tier guys that might be rule 5 guys anyways in our deep system.

Seems like a terrible deal for the Yankees. Almost like a panic move to obtain Frazier just to keep him away from Boston. With Pineda going down it seems odd to make a move like this that doesn't involve starting pitching. I know that Chance Adams is nearly ready but without Pineda...and how long will Sabathia's 3.54 ERA hold up? The Yankees bullpen was #5 in MLB in ERA (3.45) before this trade was made...not sure if the advanced metrics would back up that performance but it didn't seem like an area that needed a dramatic improvement.

Robertson may have been considered the best reliever on the market this year but he just isn't an elite reliever. And he's so high paid at this point that his salary eats away almost all of his surplus value. Granted, "value" trumps "surplus value" by far for a deep-pocketed team like the Yankees. But even if Robertson was making half the money he is, there are a bunch of other relievers I would rather have that appear to be available.

I think chances are that Rutherford is an over-rated prospect and should be more down towards Isan Diaz territory in the prospect rankings. Both of the other prospects involved seem to be solid "role-player" prospects. The other outfielder prospect involved, Tito Polo, is a riser that shouldn't be overlooked. A relative unknown that has gotten on base at a good rate through his minor league career (career .355 OBP) and has started to show more pop in the bat of late (.382/.460/.545/1.006 in limited sample size as 22 year old in AA). Not making him out to be a big-timer but he has played his way into legitimate prospect status...probably about equivalent in value to a Ryan Cordell. If I were to stack the three prospects in this deal against players in the Brewers system, I would call it an Isan Diaz + Cody Ponce + Ryan Cordell type of return. That's not bad.

Back to the Yankees, I really think a Sonny Gray/Yonder Alonso package from the A's would have made much more sense. Would be interesting to find out what the A's asking price would be for a package of those two players?

I guess I must be in the minority. I think it works for both teams. The Sox did acquired a top 40 guy in Rutherford and what looks like some decent back end of the roster potential down the road. The Yankees improved their roster. Robertson is pitching like his old self this season and Kahnle is putting up Knebel type numbers. It probably gives them the best bullpen in the AL. Frazier, while not a star is better than what they currently have and is another power threat in that lineup. I don't think there's an argument on if they got better, you could argue how much but I would guess there's a really good chance they're not done. They still have the pieces to land a starting pitcher. I fully expect them to do that.

I'm very high on Rutherford, but still think the package going to CWS was light. Apparently the White Sox are trying to put together the entire top 40 of prospects. Good luck with that!

Is it me or does it seem like prospect packages are light this trading season? I guess it depends a bit on what you think of Blake Rutherford.

The CBA has changed and it has done it in a way that does not favor the prospect side of the deal.

just glad those guys are staying in the AL and not moving to the NL :)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived