Brewer Fanatic

Ian Kinsler

It's really only a mimor quibble that we didn't get anything for Scooter. I am sure they shopped him.

The ironic thing is that Scooter was considered too limited at 2B, not enough power/speed, and now Scooter has 20 plus HRs while we are seemingly stuck with Villar on our roster wwithout a great option at 2B.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scooter is having a very good year. Villar is pretty bad. Shaw is having a very good year. Sandoval was released.

Sometimes a change of scenery makes all the difference.

It's really only a mimor quibble that we didn't get anything for Scooter. I am sure they shopped him.

The ironic thing is that Scooter was considered too limited at 2B, not enough power/speed, and now Scooter has 20 plus HRs while we are seemingly stuck with Villar on our roster wwithout a great option at 2B.

Scooter plays PT, benefits from playing at Great American, and is hitting .551 OPS vs LHP.

I said at the time I thought it was a bad idea to let him go. At the same time I understood the logic, and still do. Scooter is a platoon 2B, and that's really hard to justify on a 25 man roster. Sure they wish they had him now, that happens.

Scooter plays PT, benefits from playing at Great American, and is hitting .551 OPS vs LHP.

I said at the time I thought it was a bad idea to let him go. At the same time I understood the logic, and still do. Scooter is a platoon 2B, and that's really hard to justify on a 25 man roster. Sure they wish they had him now, that happens.

Kinda like how the red sox greatly regret the shaw trade...the end result of this decision pales in comparison to that massive blunder.

Stearns worships versatility.

Scooter had no versatility.

Stearns was going to jettison Scooter one way or the other. Scooter was not a "Stearns guy."

My problem with the Scooter transaction is that Stearns just gave him away. I never thought Scooter had huge value, but I do think he was worth one or two lower level lottery tickets (think the Lind trade). With the Brewers not planning to compete there was no reason just to DFA Scooter.

To this point the Scooter transaction and Corey Ray pick look like Stearns sole black marks.

The 2017 bullpen, specifically Feliz over Holland.

Kinda like how the red sox greatly regret the shaw trade...the end result of this decision pales in comparison to that massive blunder.

Exactly.

Gennett was and still is a platoon player who plays below average defense and has only one more year of control after this year. Even in hindsight there wasn't a compelling reason to keep him. It was a much better move to go with someone with upside. It would have been nice to trade him for something but other than that I can find little fault with getting rid of him.

Defensive metrics that show Scooter as below average are the same ones that show Villar to be above average. My eyes tell me just the opposite. I trust my eyes.

Stearns was going to jettison Scooter one way or the other. Scooter was not a "Stearns guy."

My problem with the Scooter transaction is that Stearns just gave him away. I never thought Scooter had huge value, but I do think he was worth one or two lower level lottery tickets (think the Lind trade). With the Brewers not planning to compete there was no reason just to DFA Scooter.

To this point the Scooter transaction and Corey Ray pick look like Stearns sole black marks.

The Brewers weren't giving Holland a contract anywhere near what he got. Can we stop talking like it was a flip of the coin as to which one Stearns was going to sign?

What we feel Scooter should have been worth doesn't really matter, it only matters what the 29 other GMs felt he was worth, and they felt he was worth nothing. Considering Scooter was replacement level in both 2015 and 2016 this should not come as a surprise.

Defensive metrics that show Scooter as below average are the same ones that show Villar to be above average. My eyes tell me just the opposite. I trust my eyes.

You're right that the metrics have Scooter below average. 24 players have at least 2,500 innings at 2B since Scooter came up in 2013. Of that group Scooter ranks 22nd by DRS & 21st by UZR.

In 754 career innings at 2B DRS has Villar at +1 & UZR has him at -3.5. Neither of the publicly available metrics show him to be above average, though they do indicate he is likely better than Gennett, not that it's a very high bar to clear.

Stearns traded away his entire bullpen save for Knebel for a king's ransom last year. I don't think there was such an expectation to be in contention this year so he was throwing darts.

Holland has a $10 million option that is about to turn into $15 million based on performance. Is that worth it at this point? Probably...but these sort of criticisms probably laden with hindsight in suggestion that we should have dumped $10-15 million more for a "buy low dart" in a rebuilding year that suggest we should have beaten out 10-15 other teams bidding for the guy are kinda out there.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm defending every move, but when people are suggesting that the guy basically walk on water and nail every offseason risk taken are really going to be unsatisfied no matter what happens.

• 4 months later...

Kinsler a Brewer?

The Ian Kinsler trade talks have reached the point where the Tigers have exchanged names with interested teams, GM Al Avila told reporters (including Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press and MLive.com’s Evan Woodbery). Kinsler has been seen as one of the likeliest players to be dealt this offseason, and it seems like a trade could happen at any point. The Mets, Brewers, and Angels are teams with reported recent interest in Kinsler’s services.

Kinsler a Brewer?

The Ian Kinsler trade talks have reached the point where the Tigers have exchanged names with interested teams, GM Al Avila told reporters (including Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press and MLive.com’s Evan Woodbery). Kinsler has been seen as one of the likeliest players to be dealt this offseason, and it seems like a trade could happen at any point. The Mets, Brewers, and Angels are teams with reported recent interest in Kinsler’s services.

I just don't see it. Maybe Brewers just using "interest" to get Walker to bite on one less year. I think they really prefer Walker's LH bat.

Archived