Brewer Fanatic

Ian Kinsler

He isn't doing well.... 242 BA, 9 HR 327 OBP. He's 35. Yet...... oh yet, being in a playoff run could revitalize this guy. He's signed for 11 million this year; club option at 10 million for next year. This makes us deeper, not having to rely on Villar as much. More than anything, this deal shouldn't cost us a top prospect. Plus, it looks like Detroit is looking to rid salary. Plus, it would bridge the gap to 2019 when one of our prospects (Diaz, Dubon) should be ready at 2B.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He isn't doing well.... 242 BA, 9 HR 327 OBP. He's 35. Yet...... oh yet, being in a playoff run could revitalize this guy. He's signed for 11 million this year; club option at 10 million for next year. This makes us deeper, not having to rely on Villar as much. More than anything, this deal shouldn't cost us a top prospect. Plus, it looks like Detroit is looking to rid salary. Plus, it would bridge the gap to 2019 when one of our prospects (Diaz, Dubon) should be ready at 2B.

Dave Stewart is that you? Come on Mr. Stewart these are the trades that got you fired in the first place!

If he isn't that good, we wouldn't have to give up that much, correct? Funny to say this is a bad Deal when what we would have to give up isn't listed. All I know is that it would be a low cost (prospect wise) upgrade at 2B.

Come again? I'll ride Villar into the ground before trading for a old light hitting 2nd baseman that's overpaid. Villar has a pretty good track record outside of this year at the plate. I lean this year as the oddball rather than 2015, 2016. Take a look at what happened the last time we gave up on a promising looking INF and where he's been since (Segura).

Come again? I'll ride Villar into the ground before trading for a old light hitting 2nd baseman that's overpaid. Villar has a pretty good track record outside of this year at the plate. I lean this year as the oddball rather than 2015, 2016. Take a look at what happened the last time we gave up on a promising looking INF and where he's been since (Segura).

Villar had one good season that came out of nowhere. He wasn't nearly as highly regarded as a prospect as Segura was. He was filler for Houston in their monumental tanking period until their real prospects showed up. Not saying I'd deal for Kinsler unless Sogard can't return, but the value for Villar isn't all that high. His defense is a red flag too. Sure he makes some highlight plays but turns too many routine outs into adventures.

He had 29 HRs last season...

We would still have Sogard; Villar would be here or in AAA for insurance.

Heart and hustle award leader... last year and this year.

Ok now I am confused is this Dave Stewart or Steve Phillips?

Where did I mention that we were giving up big prospects? Just today, the Brewers are connected to Verlander and taking on salary and presumably giving up no top prospects.... I see us taking on salary somewhere for pitching and hopefully a Kinsler type bat.

Heart and hustle award leader... last year and this year.

Ok now I am confused is this Dave Stewart or Steve Phillips?

Where did I mention that we were giving up big prospects? Just today, the Brewers are connected to Verlander and taking on salary and presumably giving up no top prospects.... I see us taking on salary somewhere for pitching and hopefully a Kinsler type bat.

Giving up anyone for these players is just dumb.

Community Moderator

Not much positional flexibility with Kinsler, but I guess if they are ready to give up on Villar for this year it is possible. I can't imagine he would cost much in terms of prospects since acquiring him basically saves the Tigers from having to pay his remaining salary this year and the additional $5 million buyout they would owe him to get out of his $12 million option for next year. The highest acquisition cost I can envision even if the Tigers include some cash is maybe a couple of prospects the caliber of Tyrone Taylor or Taylor Williams.

EDIT: I might have been a little low on the prospect guess, but I would be frustrated if they gave up any top 20 prospect in the system for a couple of months of Ian Kinsler. Maybe Demi Orimoloye or Josh Pennington are a better representation of the best prospects I would give up.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sogard is a FA after the season. I'm sure the Brewers would like him back but in a utility role. It appears Brewers are putting themselves in position for a run next year. I'm fine with them giving up on Villar. Dubon is the future at 2B. Kinsler,/Sogard make great bridge.

Kinsler has an .844 OPS vs. LHP this year. Cubs 2 top starters now and next year are LH.

Villar's OPS vs LHP this year? A pathetic .547.

Kinsler/Sogard soft platoon is a huge upgrade. Huge.

I'm guessing his defense is still good? Only way I could see it making sense. Offensively it makes absolutely no sense. Sure Sogard is gone after this year, but Ian Kinsler is pretty darn expensive. Could easily just bring back Sogard or sign some other dude similar to Kinsler for less. Must want the defense to help the pitching. Getting him to hit against lefties is a good point, but really worth money and prospects?

Agreed. The last thing we need is a middle infielder. We traded for several and used our first round pick on one this year. We just unloaded Segura and Scooter and we have Villar and Sogard is having a career year and just came off the DL. Enough 2B for this team.

Hard pass on Kinsler.

Sogard is a FA after the season. I'm sure the Brewers would like him back but in a utility role. It appears Brewers are putting themselves in position for a run next year. I'm fine with them giving up on Villar. Dubon is the future at 2B. Kinsler,/Sogard make great bridge.

Kinsler has an .844 OPS vs. LHP this year. Cubs 2 top starters now and next year are LH.

Villar's OPS vs LHP this year? A pathetic .547.

Kinsler/Sogard soft platoon is a huge upgrade. Huge.

Kinsler .844 OPS vs lefties???! Huge upgrade over Villar..

Ya know, would a trade of Villar for Kinsler be that out of the realm of possibility?

Villar has 4 years of control, is cheaper, has played better recently, and could be a bounce back candidate. Kinsler would provide Detroit salary relief and would make them younger and faster.

Kinsler gives Milwaukee a veteran presence and polished bat. He hit 29 HRs last year, strikes out much less than Villar, walks at a good clip, and allows the Brewers to have a good bridge to younger hOmegrown 2B in 2019. He hits lefties well. He and Sogard could be a good tandem at 2B for a couple of seasons.

Jonathan Villar is an overpay in my opinion. Kinsler is old, not playing incredibly well, and owed a good amount of money. You are vastly underrating Villar's value due to a bad year. Keon Broxton would be a little closer in value. The problem with Keon Broxton is if he burns his last option and fails to produce well at the MLB level the rest of the year I don't think he has much of any value this winter if we want to trade him since the receiving team is forced to have him on the 25 man or risk losing him once next season starts. This might be our last chance to extract any type of value out of him.

I'm not really into chasing Kinsler though.

In a vacuum I don't really have a problem with getting Kinsler if it's quite cheap, as he's still effective enough and should be through 2018 which would nicely bridge the gap to Dubon/Diaz/Hiura. I wouldn't be interested in giving him the extension that he said back in November that he would require to waive his NTC, however.

However this kind of move would essentially be giving up on Villar, which given his age and controllable years left, combined with how good he was last year, makes me pretty lukewarm on the idea.

Moving Villar to a utility infielder type role doesn't make much sense either as he's a bad defender at SS and 3B and Arcia and Shaw are both everyday players .

Archived