Brewer Fanatic

2017-07-18: Brewers (Guerra) at Pirates (Nova) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3]

hawing

Sunday: I pulled garza to be aggressive... then pitched the worst dude in my bullpen with 4 innings of hader hughes drake a real option. Torres is even better. 1 run game oh well.

Very next night this masochist puts the same trash in with the bases loaded and lucks out.

Tonight 5 straight hits... runs perez... genius. Pina single following out 2. If you see broxton as a pitcher at the plate dont play him. Guerra losing his stuff... harrison took him to tge warning track last time... hughes is your guy right there for 1.1. Barnes knebel win.

I dont want to hear how this guy is a great manager... his in game management has been abysmal... 3rd straight day of drake abysmal.

I dont want to buy at all...although if you stop leaving this idiot bad options to choose on the roster he just might not be able to screw up.

Cant wait for neshek so we can see some high leverage drake innings vs 3 righties or high leverage torres!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS hate umps. Reviewing hbp but not a runner being hit is insane. Nuance in the catcher pitcher game is code for fooling the moron behind the plate. Those people also like basketball flops andsoccer dives.

Glad Guerra built off his nyy 3 inning start where he staved off multiple errors. A shame it went off the rails and everyone knew before CC.

Are you being serious? Yeah, I understand that.....I think it was pretty obvious I wasn't being serious.

A bad call is annoying. It doesn't mean I'd prefer to rely on a machine to call strikes and take a great deal of the nuance out of pitching and catching.

How does it take the nuance out of pitching and catching? Pitchers are still going to look for weaknesses and try to hit corners. How does that change anything other than discovering, "Hey, this umpire is giving 3 inches off the outside corner unfairly, so let's try to hit that spot that isn't a strike but will be called a strike."

That's the part of the game you want to preserve?

I for one enjoy the fact that baseball is imperfect and subject to human nuance and error. Wish that they would take away instant replay for the same reason.

Are you being serious? Yeah, I understand that.....I think it was pretty obvious I wasn't being serious.

A bad call is annoying. It doesn't mean I'd prefer to rely on a machine to call strikes and take a great deal of the nuance out of pitching and catching.

How does it take the nuance out of pitching and catching? Pitchers are still going to look for weaknesses and try to hit corners. How does that change anything other than discovering, "Hey, this umpire is giving 3 inches off the outside corner unfairly, so let's try to hit that spot that isn't a strike but will be called a strike."

I for one enjoy the fact that baseball is imperfect and subject to human nuance and error. Wish that they would take away instant replay for the same reason.

To each their own I guess . I do not enjoy seeing hard fought games and even pennant races decided when a 55 year old man gets caught up in the emotion of the game and expands the strike zone by 3 inches with 2 outs in the 9th.

I enjoy watching the 50 people involved in each game play the game within the best of their abilities and would like to see them exclusively decide games and races.

Santana should have scored earlier in the game which would have made it 4-4 and Shaw should have been on 1st with nobody out in the 8th. These might have tilted the game in our favor. Maybe we go on to lose the division or miss the playoffs by 1 game.

They have the technology to fix that . To me that's not acceptable that we should be robbed of that opportunity in the name of nostalgia.

The moves everyone wants the team to make is for pitching but the team has scored 3, 2, 2 and 3 runs the last 4 games. I'm not sure how a pitcher helps that lack of offensive production.

Some? Sure but you're not going to win a lot when you're only scoring 2 or 3 runs a game.

Teams in MLB this year are 200-514 when scoring 2 or 3 runs. That's only a .280 winning percentage. Last year it was 424-914 (.317). 2015 was 466-918 (.337).

We've won 1 of the last 4 games when we scored 2 or 3 runs which is right around where we should be.

To each their own I guess . I do not enjoy seeing hard fought games and even pennant races decided when a 55 year old man gets caught up in the emotion of the game and expands the strike zone by 3 inches with 2 outs in the 9th.

I enjoy watching the 50 people involved in each game play the game within the best of their abilities and would like to see them exclusively decide games and races.

Santana should have scored earlier in the game which would have made it 4-4 and Shaw should have been on 1st with nobody out in the 8th. These might have tilted the game in our favor. Maybe we go on to lose the division or miss the playoffs by 1 game.

They have the technology to fix that . To me that's not acceptable that we should be robbed of that opportunity in the name of nostalgia.

Well over the course of a 162 game season things tend to balance out so using one inning of one game out of the 162 game season strikes me as warranting a small sample size alert. All in all I'd say the umps do a great job over the course of the year and the human factor is just part of the game.

Well over the course of a 162 game season things tend to balance out so using one inning of one game out of the 162 game season strikes me as warranting a small sample size alert. All in all I'd say the umps do a great job over the course of the year and the human factor is just part of the game.

Spitballs, gloveless catchers, 500 inning seasons for pitchers, and segregation used to be part of the game too. Things change .

I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with it, and I don't think things always even out over 162 games. They've already had studies this year on who has benefited from the most blown calls, with the Dodgers far and away benefiting the most.

I guess whether they do a great job depends on your perspective -- in comparison to what the average Joe could do, I suppose so, but you'd be amazed at just how many balls and strikes alone are called incorrectly just over the course of a single game.

Spitballs, gloveless catchers, 500 inning seasons for pitchers, and segregation used to be part of the game too. Things change .

I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with it, and I don't think things always even out over 162 games. They've already had studies this year on who has benefited from the most blown calls, with the Dodgers far and away benefiting the most.

I guess whether they do a great job depends on your perspective -- in comparison to what the average Joe could do, I suppose so, but you'd be amazed at just how many balls and strikes alone are called incorrectly just over the course of a single game.

If that many balls and strikes are called incorrectly then they will eventually even out for both teams. And for the record, I said nothing about nostalgia in support of keeping human umpires. I said I like the human element of the game and its being imperfect. Segregation or other examples you use has nothing to do with my reasoning here.

Worst call in any game I've seen in MLB this year. And has already cost a run.

Is this when Santana was called out running the bases because the ump thought the ball hit him as he ran by? I didn't see last night's game but my hubby said the replays showed it never hit him at all and this kind of play isn't reviewable?

That wasn't a strike and Travis has a right to be mad. CC gets tossed too. This game is getting out of hand.

Shaw threw his helmet down, right? Did he appear to say anything to the home plate ump?

Can we just start Agulair at 1b, Sogard (when healthy) at 2b, and call up Brinson to play CF?

This sounds good to me. Thames has just lost anything he had earlier this season. Broxton looks lost and not having Sogard is hurting us more than we thought. :(

A machine that gets it right.

So...people in favor of a machine aren't looking for one that just guesses?

You could program the machines to blow a call a couple times a game to keep it somewhat human ; )

But seriously, if replay is acceptable why not get most important part of baseball right-wing balls and strikes.

Instead of machines why not have balls and strikes reviewable? All you have to do is limit the number of times a manager can call for a review of these. Don't we want the calls to be correct?

If they can use technology to be more accurate and not slow the game down I'd be for that. At this point the replays are slowing the game down more than they should be. There should be a different system in place to review or remove a field umpire in favor of a full time video/tech ump.

Also, while it might seem like the electronic strike zone is the way to go, I'd imagine you'd still need somebody setting the upper and lower limit per batter. Just like humans fail, we can agree that computers are not always perfect either.

It's all great in theory and count me in as wanting more investigation and progress towards moving things that way but there's a lot of work to be done to efficiently integrate some of the things people are wanting.

That wasn't a strike and Travis has a right to be mad. CC gets tossed too. This game is getting out of hand.

Shaw threw his helmet down, right? Did he appear to say anything to the home plate ump?

He slammed his bat, not helmet, and was walking away. I'm sure he had words but he was on his way to the dugout. Same with Craig, he was walking away when he got tossed.

Community Moderator

I've been advocating for years that tennis-style replays are the way to go with a limited number (5) of reviews per team per game. Goal should be to weed out the really bad calls but still allow some human element (such as rewarding a hot pitcher for consistently hitting the corners). Each review should take no more than 15-20 seconds. Hitter or pitcher calls for review (has to be immediate and can't be called from the dugout), umpire points to the press box, someone presses a button, and the pitch f/x animation plays on the scoreboard.

Alternatively, the stadium experience would be really interesting with the full 'pitch tracker/gameday' interface available to fans on the scoreboard. Under that scenario, humans could still call balls/strikes but the scoreboard could automatically overturn any egregiously bad calls. If the pitch is right on the corner, the right course of action may be to default to the human anyway based on the uncertainty in the pitch tracking.

Archived